Liam Hendriks is cancer free

Heads22

32 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

This is gutting.  I have no doubt he will survive but he's widely regarded as the best person in the game.  My friend works with Howard Brown, an LGBTQ health center in Chicago and the amount of work he has done for them is immense.  Also remembering how vocal he was after the Supreme Court ruling.  I'm so proud he's a White Sock.  Hope this is a blip and he's back either later this year or next.  Just hope he is ok.

All this.  Sad when this happens to anybody but doubly crushing when it’s one of the best and most inspiring humans in the game.

42 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

This is gutting.  I have no doubt he will survive but he's widely regarded as the best person in the game.  My friend works with Howard Brown, an LGBTQ health center in Chicago and the amount of work he has done for them is immense.  Also remembering how vocal he was after the Supreme Court ruling.  I'm so proud he's a White Sock.  Hope this is a blip and he's back either later this year or next.  Just hope he is ok.

He also signed with the White Sox because they either had or were open to Gay Pride Night. He and his wife seem very charitable too. 

While he battles this awful disease, his presence will be missed from a leadership perspective. Cancer has touched most people’s lives and the players in MLB are no exception. I wish him the best in his battle with cancer and hope he closes it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I admire your optimism. The season hasn't even started yet and they are getting hit with news that obviously has a major impact on the team.

I've picked up trans-gender bowling and Ninja cribbage to fill all the dead air space the Sox have left us. Steve and Jason are going to run out of bad jokes by Palm Sunday. 

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I admire your optimism. The season hasn't even started yet and they are getting hit with news that obviously has a major impact on the team.

It is.  But to be honest, you can catch lightening in a bottle with a closer for a year.  Liam's leadership will be missed the most but maybe they rally for him?  I am just concerned with what this will do to him in terms of his health.  

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

It is.  But to be honest, you can catch lightening in a bottle with a closer for a year.  Liam's leadership will be missed the most but maybe they rally for him?  I am just concerned with what this will do to him in terms of his health.  

He does have a few things going for him. As a pro athlete he is in good shape/health overall, he's young and he also has the money needed to get the very best care...see the very best doctors/hospitals. 

15 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I'm wondering now if this played a part in why he was less durable last year than in previous years.

I did wonder if perhaps this has been known or the org knew something and it’s what chilled trade rumours/speculation.  Never crossed my mind that it would have any impact on his durability on the mound. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I did wonder if perhaps this has been known or the org knew something and it’s what chilled trade rumours/speculation.  Never crossed my mind that it would have any impact on his durability on the mound. 

There is zero chance the org knew about this months ago and thought hmmm…maybe we can trade him before this goes public. 

This is life or death - he probably just found out in past week or two (give or take) and has to immediately begin treatment because you know this is serious s%*#. 

And this probably had no impact on his tendon / flexor strain that sidelined him.

And just to say this a 2nd time because any speculation around this is just a bad look.

Come on you really think Sox would have told him last year - hey delay treatment for a few months to finish the season so we can make a final push to maybe back in the playoff and than buy us some time so we can trade you….this isn’t delaying an ankle injury…this is delaying treatment on a life or death condition you are talking about. Zero and I mean zero chance Sox or Liam did that or even thought about it for even a nanosecond. 

• Like 2

First and foremost, this news really sucks and all our thoughts and prayers should be with Liam.   I know he's a fighter and am confident he can kick cancer's ass and be back as a dominant closer.

On a secondary note, if he's missing the season, do we have  an insurance policy that covers his contract?   If so, let's hope we spend this $18 million on other improvements to the team and not just put it in Jerry's pocket. 

If nothing else, let's donate these funds to the American Cancer Society.

Get well soon Liam.   We'll be praying for you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

FOn a secondary note, if he's missing the season, do we have  an insurance policy that covers his contract?   If so, let's hope we spend this $18 million on other improvements to the team and not just put it in Jerry's pocket.

Jerry’s direct response:

avgZ3MB.gif

Godspeed on a full recovery Liam!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

There is zero chance the org knew about this months ago and thought hmmm…maybe we can trade him before this goes public. 

This is life or death - he probably just found out in past week or two (give or take) and has to immediately begin treatment because you know this is serious s%*#. 

And this probably had no impact on his tendon / flexor strain that sidelined him.

And just to say this a 2nd time because any speculation around this is just a bad look.

Come on you really think Sox would have told him last year - hey delay treatment for a few months to finish the season so we can make a final push to maybe back in the playoff and than buy us some time so we can trade you….this isn’t delaying an ankle injury…this is delaying treatment on a life or death condition you are talking about. Zero and I mean zero chance Sox or Liam did that or even thought about it for even a nanosecond. 

You completely misread what I way saying.  In no way was I thinking what you’ve suggested here.  I was thinking perhaps that the diagnosis killed trade talks, as opposed to the org thinking they could send him elsewhere.  We haven’t heard him mentioned in trade speculation in a while and it simply crossed my mind, that is all.  Again, my thought was that this shut down trade talks knowing he likely wouldn’t be available and not at all the callous thing you’ve suggested. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

First and foremost, this news really sucks and all our thoughts and prayers should be with Liam.   I know he's a fighter and am confident he can kick cancer's ass and be back as a dominant closer.

On a secondary note, if he's missing the season, do we have  an insurance policy that covers his contract?   If so, let's hope we spend this $18 million on other improvements to the team and not just put it in Jerry's pocket. 

If nothing else, let's donate these funds to the American Cancer Society.

Get well soon Liam.   We'll be praying for you!

I wondered this as well and am unsure.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Liam Hendricks is cancer free
  • Heads22 changed the title to Liam Hendriks is cancer free
  • Texsox unpinned this topic