Liam Hendriks is cancer free

Heads22

On 1/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Colome's Hat said:

This is gutting.  I have no doubt he will survive but he's widely regarded as the best person in the game.  My friend works with Howard Brown, an LGBTQ health center in Chicago and the amount of work he has done for them is immense.  Also remembering how vocal he was after the Supreme Court ruling.  I'm so proud he's a White Sock.  Hope this is a blip and he's back either later this year or next.  Just hope he is ok.

Great let's use this as an excuse to push leftist politics. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 2

A few of us have or are experiencing cancer on a personal  or family level and can relate to what Liam and his family are and will be going through. Ideally, Liam can go into remission and return as Closer.  Perhaps a more realistic hope is that he goes into remission and lives a long life, with or without a career in baseball.  It doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things but I  wonder if this disease was diagnosed by a team physician or his personal doctor, Whoever diagnosed it that they apparently did so early on so he has the best chance of recovering 100%. I have not been a big baseball fan of Liam going so far as suggesting he be traded for Gleybar Torres, but I have grown to like him on a personal level because of his charitable work and his commitment to the WSox and our City. He's is a great man with the heart of a lion and will not be beaten by this disease.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

A few of us have or are experiencing cancer on a personal  or family level and can relate to what Liam and his family are and will be going through. Ideally, Liam can go into remission and return as Closer.  Perhaps a more realistic hope is that he goes into remission and lives a long life, with or without a career in baseball.  It doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things but I  wonder if this disease was diagnosed by a team physician or his personal doctor, Whoever diagnosed it that they apparently did so early on so he has the best chance of recovering 100%. I have not been a big baseball fan of Liam going so far as suggesting he be traded for Gleybar Torres, but I have grown to like him on a personal level because of his charitable work and his commitment to the WSox and our City. He's is a great man with the heart of a lion and will not be beaten by this disease.

why

• Thanks 2

Really good article on the Athletic about Liam and the people he's reached out to since coming to town.

https://theathletic.com/4082449/2023/01/13/liam-hendriks-cancer-lymphoma-charitable-work/

Without stealing too much from the article:

Paluch had too much work to do wrangling everyone to arrive early enough to visit with Hendriks before the game. No matter, since around the seventh inning the Sox closer began hollering her name from the bullpen.

“He started yelling ‘Stephanie!!!’ across three sections to where we were seated,” Paluch recalled. “Everyone is staring in all the sections around, and he’s yelling to me ‘Can you text Kristi and tell her I need a ride home today?'”

“To see that he’s facing his own health challenges, we really just want to offer our support to him,” said Michele Wysoglad of La Rabida Children’s Hospital, where an iPad playing a video message from Hendriks once traveled room-to-room on a stand wearing his jersey, when COVID-19 didn’t allow him to make an in-person visit to patients and workers. “He’s been such a wonderful person on and off the field, and we want people to know that.”

“We know that we have champions of health equity and of LGBTQ inclusivity in spaces that typically have not allowed for those voices, or for those folks to feel welcome, or that they can even be fans necessarily,” said Metos of Hendriks. “Liam coming to our 63rd Street Clinic, and bringing the marketing and the White Sox administrative teams to our 63rd Street location, and then inviting our staff to come to a White Sox game? We had a whole section of queer people and queer allies who were just overjoyed to be at a baseball game feeling free and alive.”

“He’s passionate about humans,” said Tom Satterly, chief of operations of the All Secure Foundation, a non-profit focused on combatting the epidemic of suicide for military veterans of special operations. If you’re surprised that an Australian-born baseball player wound up speaking at and hosting events for American servicemen, that gives you something in common with Satterly. He was even more surprised when Hendriks gifted the check he received for being a Clemente Award nominee to their foundation.

With a slide-out table at his locker where he assembles LEGO sets to occupy his mind before games, it sounds like a charity Hendriks might have founded if it didn’t exist already. Instead, Liam and Kristi simply donated 96 LEGO sets to the fledgling foundation, which has given out more than 2,600 sets to children since launching in 2021. 

He's been helping the community in a whole lot of ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Tray said:

"I have not been a big baseball fan of Liam going so far as suggesting he be traded for Gleybar Torres, but I have grown to like him on a personal level because of his charitable work and his commitment to the WSox and our City. He's is a great man with the heart of a lion and will not be beaten by this disease."

--------------------

Tony said: why?

----------------

It is axiomatic that when life and death  health issues present themselves it is no longer appropriate to discuss, or worse yet, to call for further discussion of baseball related matters like trade possibilities, etc. That is why.

20 minutes ago, tray said:

Tray said:

"I have not been a big baseball fan of Liam going so far as suggesting he be traded for Gleybar Torres, but I have grown to like him on a personal level because of his charitable work and his commitment to the WSox and our City. He's is a great man with the heart of a lion and will not be beaten by this disease."

--------------------

----------------

It is axiomatic that when life and death  health issues present themselves it is no longer appropriate to discuss, or worse yet, to call for further discussion of baseball related matters like trade possibilities, etc. That is why.

7758A50E-5438-4798-A0E2-B574C79853E9.jpeg

• Like 1

My friend Katie is actually quoted in The Athletic article.  In the coming days, I'd love for us to compile a list of links to charities that the Hendriks are active in.  

On a side note, this whole news about Liam has just fucked me up.  I'm sure I'll get excited about the baseball season again but it's just left this cloud over everything.

3 hours ago, tray said:

Tray said:

--------------------

----------------

I think he was asking why you said you haven’t been a baseball fan of Hendriks, rather than why you decided to stop advocating for a trade

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:00 AM, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I think he was asking why you said you haven’t been a baseball fan of Hendriks, rather than why you decided to stop advocating for a trade

Let me try again....while I and other posters on baseball sites have been critical of  Hendriks in the past and recently participated in threads suggesting that he be traded, that is now a moot point.  No issue here... unless one seeks to create controversy in a semi-clever, rhetorical, self serving way where none exists. 

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Let me try again....while I and other posters on baseball sites have been critical of  Hendriks in the past and recently participated in threads suggesting that he be traded, that is now a moot point.  No issue here... unless one seeks to create controversy in a semi-clever, rhetorical, self serving way where none exists. 

If that’s your concern, why mention the fact in the first place. Just seems odd to declare yourself “not a baseball fan” of one of the best closers in baseball

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

If that’s your concern, why mention the fact in the first place. Just seems odd to declare yourself “not a baseball fan” of one of the best closers in baseball

OK, it seems odd to even mention that I was critical of him as a pitcher and was a proponent of trading him. OK.

The cheap parsing of comments and piling on behind that is BS.  Carry on, I'm done with this nonsense.

8 minutes ago, tray said:

OK, it seems odd to even mention that I was critical of him as a pitcher and was a proponent of trading him. OK.

The cheap parsing of comments and piling on behind that is BS.  Carry on, I'm done with this nonsense.

Ain’t it a touch passive aggressive to post a comment to a public forum then object with indignation and contempt to people for simply responding to it asking for clarification

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tray said:

Again, no one asked you to add the comment that you "have not been a big baseball fan of Liam" and YOU decided to post that in a thread about him being diagnosed with cancer. Given his performance on the field, it's entirely reasonable for someone to ask you "why" you haven't been a fan of his performance. 

Now you're playing the victim and saying people are piling on. It seemed like a simple question, that came from your original comment. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Ain’t it a touch passive aggressive to post a comment to a public forum then object with indignation and contempt to people for simply responding to it asking for clarification

The ignore feature rules.

• Like 1

Tony said: "Again, no one asked you to add the comment that you "have not been a big baseball fan of Liam" and YOU decided to post that in a thread about him being diagnosed with cancer."

I stand by my comments which, in context, were appropriate.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 2

• Quin changed the title to Liam Hendricks is cancer free
  • Heads22 changed the title to Liam Hendriks is cancer free
  • Texsox unpinned this topic