Carlos Correa is a Twin - 6 yrs $200M

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It makes ZERO sense for them to spend big right now.. Bad minors, bad staff, and only a few long term position players.  They're in a baaaad spot

I get this part, but that sure hasn't stopped the, THEY ARE GOING TO SIGN RODON AND CORREA parade from happening.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

oh for sure.. But that would be stupid.  Take his great two months we had and then show him the door.

When you look at his last five years, that is exactly what you should do.  Even with his two month hot streak, he has been essentially Leury Garcia since 2017.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Phillies, Mets and Padres took the same route.  Only one trophy.  Dodgers and Braves are hanging around.  

This is why the cubs are not spending.

It's the same crap they fed everyone last winter.  They were the favorites for Carlos Correa then too if you listened to the talking heads and fans.

I mean they really shouldn't have implied they'd spend, but there really may be a benefit to waiting. There will be a point where the lux tax penalties kick in that make the teams spending hold back for a year or so. 

Next year, they could go hard after Devers/Ohtani. But the problem is after that it's not amazing, and Devers could easily be re-signed. So you leave yourselves vulnerable. 

5 hours ago, joejoesox said:

it's funny. I've been working in Chicago for the last 3 months. all I see throughout the entire city are Sox license plates, in fact I can't remember the last cubs plate I've seen. it's bizarre. 

If you walk around downtown you see mostly Sox gear. Been that way for years. Possibly after 2016 the demented perversion of being a Cub fan has faded a bit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fathom said:

Dodgers and Red Sox definitely could be interested in Timmy if Swanson goes to Cubs or Twins.

I doubt it.  Red Sox seem to be in conceding being competitive.

Dodgers always seem to have their own replacements.

Do you really trust Hahn in making trades.  I don't see how removing Anderson makes the team better unless you are a Leury needs to play more fan.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

If you walk around downtown you see mostly Sox gear. Been that way for years. Possibly after 2016 the demented perversion of being a Cub fan has faded a bit. 

that's exactly what came to mind. the lovable losers aura has faded. can you imagine being that kind of sports fan 🤮

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I doubt it.  Red Sox seem to be in conceding being competitive.

Dodgers always seem to have their own replacements.

Do you really trust Hahn in making trades.  I don't see how removing Anderson makes the team better unless you are a Leury needs to play more fan.

removing Tim gives you the potential to be better for the future. the debate becomes

do the Sox have a better chance of winning a title right now with small upgrades

or

do they have a better chance by restocking the farm and getting near max value for their top guys who they aren't going to resign anyways

it's a s%*# situation either way because you're rolling the dice and taking a risk no matter which option you choose

at least there's more of a payoff by retooling for a contention window in 2025-2026 (I'm well aware of the response: "YoU tRuSt haHn tO LeAd a REbUiLd??///")

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean they really shouldn't have implied they'd spend, but there really may be a benefit to waiting. There will be a point where the lux tax penalties kick in that make the teams spending hold back for a year or so. 

Next year, they could go hard after Devers/Ohtani. But the problem is after that it's not amazing, and Devers could easily be re-signed. So you leave yourselves vulnerable. 

you think LAA is gonna let him walk? I'm betting on an extension or at the bare minimum they trade him for a haul

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Correa to...ah hell, who knows