Carlos Correa is a Twin - 6 yrs $200M

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is crazy, since going into that last CBA they were (depending on the metric you used) getting the smallest % of the revenue pie of the major sports. I don't know if that's been changed with the CBA and will need time to determine, but all-in-all, the lack of a cap has led to a perceived collusion by owners to slow salaries more-so than revenue growth. Cohen has thrown a wrench into that concept, but will other owners actually match or try and compete there? I doubt it for most.

I agree that it's not a strategy I would have supported if I was at the top of the Union, but it sure seems clear that given the choice between pushing for a cap and floor that were reasonable and tied to revenue and the strategy of letting things float, they went with the one where there's a risk of their revenue share going down.

Maybe they're worried that baseball ownership will simply find too many ways to classify money coming in as something other than revenue. Or they'd just Joel Osteen it into the walls behind their bathroom. Somehow that seems a reasonable fear for some of these guys.

I've said this before several times in other posts. This is what you get with Steve Cohen as one of the richest billionaires in the US as the owner of a MLB team. I am so jealous the Mets have an owner who isn't cheap, bought the team as a fun hobby, not needing the team revenue to survive and seriously wants to spend ridiculous money to attempt to win a championship at all cost.

I am hoping someday in my lifetime we get a Steve Cohen type rich billionaire owner, once the loser Reinsdorf sells the team. The diehard and loyal Sox fans in the 3rd largest US market deserve it.

I understand this doesn't guarantee s%*# that the Mets will win a World Series title. However tell me one Sox fan right now who wouldn't take Cohen as the owner over our POS Reinsdorf. At least the Mets are spending the money and attempting to put a competitive team on the field, as opposed to our cheap and demented owner.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Too bad there aren’t more guys who reaped billions through racketeering and insider trading to buy more baseball teams.

You don't become a Billionaire by running a squeaky clean business. They're all shady af. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

21 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Because he commented on it they can't fail his physical?

Yes, people keep saying this, but I don’t believe the CBA or Boras can drag Cohen into court to enter into a contract that hasn’t been signed/executed, one where the normal process took place (player takes physical, physical reveals issues, contract possibly re-negotiated as a result (the likely scenario here)).

Could see Cohen getting fined by The MLB or some other punishment (loss of draft picks) for “free agent tampering” if it comes to that point, though it would be more for revenge on behest of Reinsdorf and his other fellow Angry Tankers than any principle they may hold, as if.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, MEANS said:

This is crazy

Going straight by "odds" and "analytics" all these signings are crazy. 12 years? Anything can happen in 12 years but one this is for sure, a lot of money will be wasted on this deal and all deals like this deal. It's insane but I guess TV contracts and 30 dollar beers and 200 dollar parking will easily pay for it. How can teams afford to throw away money like this?

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Correa to...ah hell, who knows