Carlos Correa is a Twin - 6 yrs $200M

Sleepy Harold

15 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Reasonable back end to that deal for Twins...makes me confident that Boras KNOWS his ankle is hanging on a tendon and had NO opt outs. 

With all this physical history...zero chance this is getting insured as well, correct? What a devastating contract that would be if he gets hurt badly in any of the first 3 years. 

There are very minimal rewards in life if one never takes any risk.  Any player can get hurt badly during the first 3 years of any big contract. Correa is still only 28. There is a good chance that this injurt doesn't truly hamper his play until he is well into his 30s. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is their concern is about paying him on the back half of the deal with whatever this medical issue.  He isn't getting a 10+ year deal any longer if the Mets officially walk. 

Twins signing him to like 5-6 year deal at $35Mish AAV would be awful. 

Reminds me how tired I am of watching fat Miggy on the field. Go home Jojo. 

Can Correa opt out any of those years? If he's so productive that he's still able to get 502 plate appearances every year into his late 30s (possible), he'd probably be worth well more than $15 or $10 million on the free agent market given normal price growth for that long.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Can Correa opt out any of those years? If he's so productive that he's still able to get 502 plate appearances every year into his late 30s (possible), he'd probably be worth well more than $15 or $10 million on the free agent market given normal price growth for that long.

No opt outs apparently.

Twins did well here.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Mets wouldn't guarantee year two.  Again, if he is not playing SS and is the DH or 1B in year two or three this is a really bad deal.   The fact Cohen wouldn't get a deal done tells me that there is a lot there to be discouraged about.     

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

There are very minimal rewards in life if one never takes any risk.  Any player can get hurt badly during the first 3 years of any big contract. Correa is still only 28. There is a good chance that this injurt doesn't truly hamper his play until he is well into his 30s. 

Absolutely. No insurance would definitely be a hangup for many teams. High risk, high reward indeed. If Cohen backed out... it's risky....that dude doesn't GAF about money often

On 1/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is their concern is about paying him on the back half of the deal with whatever this medical issue.  He isn't getting a 10+ year deal any longer if the Mets officially walk. 

Twins signing him to like 5-6 year deal at $35Mish AAV would be awful. 

I started hearing this had real legs late last week.  Twins did $10M better than the number I was given at 6/$210M, and the annual vesting options can be considered nothing but a huge win for the Twins.

Like I said earlier, not ideal situation at all as it pertains to the Sox.  Twins much better today than they were yesterday.   

• Like 1

i would imagine this closes any escobar talks and reopens any nick gordon/kepler convos. 

Also, i know putting yourself in someone's shoes is tough and don't know enough about Correa, but Twins have to be the worst of those destinations by far if you want to win. maybe he got it out of his system early in Houston, but 6-10 years in Minnesota v. 6-10 years in San Fran or NYC ... 

The medicals scared off two teams.  When has that happened to a contract that big.....then the Twins committed $200M to him....last off season he couldn't get a long term offer.

Maybe this works out but there is plenty of smoke around him to think this is a really bad deal for the Twins. 

Cohen wouldn't take that risk. 

Just now, he gone. said:

i would imagine this closes any escobar talks and reopens any nick gordon/kepler convos. 

Also, i know putting yourself in someone's shoes is tough and don't know enough about Correa, but Twins have to be the worst of those destinations by far if you want to win. maybe he got it out of his system early in Houston, but 6-10 years in Minnesota v. 6-10 years in San Fran or NYC ... 

That cold weather isn't good on the joints that's for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The medicals scared off two teams.  When has that happened to a contract that big.....then the Twins committed $200M to him....last off season he couldn't get a long term offer.

Maybe this works out but there is plenty of smoke around him to think this is a really bad deal for the Twins. 

Cohen wouldn't take that risk. 

This is the correct take.

17 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This is the correct take.

The only correct take is "time will tell" 

Nobody knows how this turns out ultimately. It's all probabilities and risk appetite. The Twins ownership has as much $$ as the Steinbrenners. All drops in a bucket at the end of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to double check this but Correa is actually 3 months younger than Benintendi, so the Twins are buying his age 28-33 seasons here. Without any particular insight into what this medical status is, he's not comparatively old for a baseball player and he won't be at the end of this deal - the Mets are going to be paying Nimmo for his age 37 season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I had to double check this but Correa is actually 3 months younger than Benintendi, so the Twins are buying his age 28-33 seasons here. Without any particular insight into what this medical status is, he's not comparatively old for a baseball player and he won't be at the end of this deal - the Mets are going to be paying Nimmo for his age 37 season. 

That Nimmo contract could get ugly very quickly given his injury history

4 minutes ago, black jack said:

I admittedly checked out of the MLB offseason (because Jerry is a cheap fucking bastard piece of dog s%*#), but isn't this Correa's third or fourth contract this year?  

We couldn't afford him but the Twins can?

3rd.  Correa has agreed to a a minimum of $865 million and 21 years worth of contract this winter.  I think the max is like 25/$935.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, black jack said:

I admittedly checked out of the MLB offseason (because Jerry is a cheap fucking bastard piece of dog s%*#), but isn't this Correa's third or fourth contract this year?  

We couldn't afford him but the Twins can?

Yes this is his third contract this offseason. The previous two have fallen apart during his physicals.

No we can’t afford players like this.

Lots of excrement in MN over this signing. Not sure if this makes them better or just holding the line. Over-under on Buxton-Correa DL days at 99. Only issue with the Twinks is how they act like they are better than the Sox and usually are. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

They did get his prime seasons, however it's unlikely they will get much if any surplus value since it's like 33.3m AAV, so just to break even he would have to average about 5.6m WAR every single year rain or shine just to break even and that assumes arthritis or something else doesn't wipe out any of those seasons. 

• Like 1