The 2nd base answer is in Miami

AJ'S Cousin

Before Squrmin for Yermin criticizes the post, which I know he will for bringing up what the remaining major hole in the lineup is, 2nd Base. Right Field will be Colas, we all know that, until Hendriks returns it might be Lopez/Graveman/Chrochet (if he’s healthy) combo as closers. I suspect we will not go out and spend money or players for closer at this time. Miami is deep with infielders and especially at 2nd. They have a guy that they are not thrilled with because of attitude problems. Rumor has it that they would trade him for the right package. Chaz Chisholm. I’ve looked at his numbers and they are pretty decent. Decent power numbers when he gets the at bats. He’s a fair fielder, not a gold glove but average. Bats in the 250’s steals about 15 bases, with 500 to 600 at bats he good hit 20 HR’s and steal 20 bases. Rumor is also that Gleyber Torres could be on the market, but I doubt it. Chaz might be the answer. Not saying we have the right combo to get him or he’s actually on the market, but we can dream. Only dreaming so please don’t say I’m crazy. Need something to focus on until the NFL DRAFT and Spring Training. 

9 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Before Squrmin for Yermin criticizes the post, which I know he will for bringing up what the remaining major hole in the lineup is, 2nd Base. Right Field will be Colas, we all know that, until Hendriks returns it might be Lopez/Graveman/Chrochet (if he’s healthy) combo as closers. I suspect we will not go out and spend money or players for closer at this time. Miami is deep with infielders and especially at 2nd. They have a guy that they are not thrilled with because of attitude problems. Rumor has it that they would trade him for the right package. Chaz Chisholm. I’ve looked at his numbers and they are pretty decent. Decent power numbers when he gets the at bats. He’s a fair fielder, not a gold glove but average. Bats in the 250’s steals about 15 bases, with 500 to 600 at bats he good hit 20 HR’s and steal 20 bases. Rumor is also that Gleyber Torres could be on the market, but I doubt it. Chaz might be the answer. Not saying we have the right combo to get him or he’s actually on the market, but we can dream. Only dreaming so please don’t say I’m crazy. Need something to focus on until the NFL DRAFT and Spring Training. 

ouch I am hurt. I have always said I would love to upgrade 2B with a legit solution. Just completely opposed to an Andrus/Harrison or another re-tread guy when we clearly have monetary constraints and a few young guys who can fill in like just as well as those retreads.

• Like 1

From a trade perspective, the problem with this player whatever his name happens to be is that he has 4 full years of control remaining including a pre-arbitration year. Because of this, the Marlins have zero pressure to move him the next two years unless they get a super strong offer that makes them substantially better long term. I believe this is an example of what Bmags has been calling “paying for control” - the White Sox would literally have to empty their system for the guy because he’s under control for so long. We actually have experience with this on the other side as the Nats and Cubs paid serious prices for control on Eaton and Quintana.

Assuming Colas is off limits, basically you need a package of just about everyone else the Sox can afford to move. If they had two top 50 prospects I would say that’s a starting point but they don’t, so it’s clearly Colson as the headliner and then 2 or 3 other serious pieces from the Sox’s top 10, and even then the Marlins might well just say no.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

we clearly have monetary constraints

I'd say there is a reasonable chance we were going to trade a reliever (not necessarily Liam) to help pay for the Benintendi signing.

So, the state of the budget could be really ugly right now.  Even if the front office planned an Andrus type retread for 2B that could easily be off the table.  

26 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'd say there is a reasonable chance we were going to trade a reliever (not necessarily Liam) to help pay for the Benintendi signing.

So, the state of the budget could be really ugly right now.  Even if the front office planned an Andrus type retread for 2B that could easily be off the table.  

The Sox aren't trading any relievers at this point, certainly not Liam.  

Jazz is an awesome fit, but I just struggle to see how we could make it work.  

The deal obviously starts with Montgomery.  

Does Montgomery + one of Sosa/Ramos/Rodriguez + Vera + one of Kelly/Thompson/Simas get Miami interested?  Idk.  But that's about the best we could realistically offer.  

I don't want to trade Montgomery at all, but Jazz has 4 years of control.  He is one of the few guys I'd let Colson go for.  With Jazz in hand, you can afford to trade from the Sosa/Ramos/JRod group - I'd probably lean towards moving Ramos as he has helium and is least likely to stick in the IF.  I'd try to hang onto Sosa as we're going to need someone to cover SS once TA leaves after 24, and he seems most likely of the three to be that guy. 

So my proposal would be Montgomery + Ramos + Vera + their choice of Kelly/Thompson/Simas. 

Edited by ChiSox59

21 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'd do Vaughn++ for Jazz. But would have been a lot better had they actually re-signed Abreu.

There's very little reason for the Marlins to want Vaughn in a deal like this. Both Andrew Vaughn and Marlins Player of Interesting Name have 4 years of control remaining. They'd be going from a guy they will probably have to actually trade in a couple years to a guy they'd probably have to actually trade in a couple years. The secondary pieces would have to be worth more than Vaughn himself for this reason; Colson + Vaughn probably gets serious consideration, but some other team could potentially beat that if they had 2 prospects with a full 6 years of control. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox aren't trading any relievers at this point, certainly not Liam.  

Jazz is an awesome fit, but I just struggle to see how we could make it work.  

The deal obviously starts with Montgomery.  

Does Montgomery + one of Sosa/Ramos/Rodriguez + Vera + one of Kelly/Thompson/Simas get Miami interested?  Idk.  But that's about the best we could realistically offer.  

I don't want to trade Montgomery at all, but Jazz has 4 years of control.  He is one of the few guys I'd let Colson go for.  With Jazz in hand, you can afford to trade from the Sosa/Ramos/JRod group - I'd probably lean towards moving Ramos as he has helium and is least likely to stick in the IF.  I'd try to hang onto Sosa as we're going to need someone to cover SS once TA leaves after 24, and he seems most likely of the three to be that guy. 

So my proposal would be Montgomery + Ramos + Vera + their choice of Kelly/Thompson/Simas. 

Seems like a lot for a guy with all of 800 Career PA's . Start with offer for way less excluding Montgomery. Not that they would bite on that but I'd throw as much as possible at them including Burger, Sheets, Crochet and any of those you mentioned. He has tremendous talent but also had a stress fracture in his back and torn meniscus surgery and didn't play after June 28th. But if you get the feeling Miami may undersell him work on it for a month if you have to.He has had a fair share of injuries.

He's a good personality , very accessible , not outspoken ,seems to be grateful for everything .  Jazz can be a 6/7 WAR guy if he stays healthy.

Ok I'm going to edit this to say I'd trade Moncada too and pay part of his salary to get him .Hell make it a blockbuster and ask for Pablo Lopez too and trade Kopech.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Seems like a lot for a guy with all of 800 Career PA's . Start with offer for way less excluding Montgomery. Not that they would bite on that but I'd throw as much as possible at them including Burger, Sheets, Crochet and any of those you mentioned. He has tremendous talent but also had a stress fracture in his back and torn meniscus surgery and didn't play after June 28th. But if you get the feeling Miami may undersell him work on it for a month if you have to.He has had a fair share of injuries.

He's a good personality , very accessible , not outspoken ,seems to be grateful for everything . I'd be tempted to trade Eloy  for him too if it didnt take our best Power hitter but Jazz can be a 6/7 WAR guy if he stays healthy.

The Marlins aren't trading Jazz Chisholm without the deal being headlined by a top 50 prospect.  

If the Sox could get him for spare parts and without including Montgomery/Colas, he'd be on the Sox, or another team by now. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Marlins aren't trading Jazz Chisholm without the deal being headlined by a top 50 prospect.  

If the Sox could get him for spare parts and without including Montgomery/Colas, he'd be on the Sox, or another team by now. 

I edited my post but the main crux said any of the guys you mentioned without Montgomery and you can expand it to make it a blockbuster. Not that I expect you to like including Moncada and Kopech but I'd include Mongomery to get those 2, Jazz and Lopez. Might as well think big for some top young talent.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

45 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

1.9 and 2.6 fwar.  Better be sure he's going to be an elite player?
We have 3 or so well-regarded prospects as well. 

No, it's certainly not guaranteed that he's going to be an elite player.

But an average starter (2 win player) with 4 years of control including a pre arbitration year, who could also still have some ceiling? That's seriously expensive. That's what I was referring to when I said you're "paying for control" earlier. The price in a trade is through the roof!