Sox Sign Hanser Alberto

2Deep

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

But what team would want the Leury side of that dump?  Nobody has THAT much pitching

When I went down the list of reliever salaries looking for something awful, assuming I ignore Kimbrel, the first one I hit that I want no part of after last year is...um...Joe Kelly.

Ok, ignoring that, Taylor Rogers was bad last year...and I had to check, he signed his contract in December 2022. That's not movable. Oops.

Aaron Loup wasn't all that good for the Angels last year, but Leury is owed more money than him. 

Ok I give up. Outside of Guys who pitch for the White Sox, I've got no one in the top 25 reliever salaries that I would want to dump for Leury without money coming back. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When I went down the list of reliever salaries looking for something awful, assuming I ignore Kimbrel, the first one I hit that I want no part of after last year is...um...Joe Kelly.

Ok, ignoring that, Taylor Rogers was bad last year...and I had to check, he signed his contract in December 2022. That's not movable. Oops.

Aaron Loup wasn't all that good for the Angels last year, but Leury is owed more money than him. 

Ok I give up. Outside of Guys who pitch for the White Sox, I've got no one in the top 25 reliever salaries that I would want to dump for Leury without money coming back. 

Mercy.  Ok now if Leury was free, like the league minimum, how many teams want him to occupy a spot?  i would say the shitty rebuilding teams would rather try their young guys or try to catch lightning in a bottle on some 25-29 yr old post-hype, burger-type guys maybe figuring something out.  

Does a championship club want him as swiss-army depth after last year?

i dont know the answer and that's bad.  

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Mercy.  Ok now if Leury was free, like the league minimum, how many teams want him to occupy a spot?  i would say the shitty rebuilding teams would rather try their young guys or try to catch lightning in a bottle on some 25-29 yr old post-hype, burger-type guys maybe figuring something out.  

Does a championship club want him as swiss-army depth after last year?

i dont know the answer and that's bad.  

If Leury was a free agent he would be getting exactly the same offer as Alberto here.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Not a bad depth guy to have. But if he's our regular 2B, we're gonna be in trouble. 

This. Not a bad guy to bring off the bench, makes the Leury signing look even worse than it already is. Just wish the Sox would quit screwing around and go get Gleyber and call it an offseason. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Misjudged the market once again 

I dont know if he misjudged it this year. Tough to pull off a trade when your most sought after trade chip just got put on the shelf indefinitely on medical leave.

The only thing they can do now is move Giolito and that will still be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Cant really move Crochet with Hendriks status up in the air. 

Colas and Montgomery are or should be untouchable. Obviously so is Robert and Jimenez.

If you take all those guys off the table, theres not much that we have that other people want. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the record, this gives the Sox some fall back space at 2B. 

-You can see if Sosa is ready

-You can see if Romy is ready

-You can see if 2022 was injury related to Leury, or if he really is toast.

-If all of those other things fail, you have a safety net now.

I wish we would do the same in RF.  It is just smart organizational work.

All those things can only happen if Alberto sticks around in AAA. If he's gone on May 1, that's not close to enough time to see the things you want to see.

1 hour ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I want to know what these trade ideas were to improve the team Hahn was referring to. 

I think most trade solutions went out the window when they signed Benintendi. As of right now I see no trade that they can make unless it means taking on more salary and if we view Moncada and Grandal as unmovable. And if they are going to take on more salary you can just sign Duvall and let 2nd base ride as is. Now you also have the unenviable task of how to replace Liam. It's a mess.

Jazz is a pipe dream. The next guy out of Miami is Pablo Lopez because the Marlins want hitting. Giving up Jazz isn't going to help their hitting.

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

This. Not a bad guy to bring off the bench, makes the Leury signing look even worse than it already is. Just wish the Sox would quit screwing around and go get Gleyber and call it an offseason. 

Who are you going to trade for Gleyber? Not Hendriks, obviously. 

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Who are you going to trade for Gleyber? Not Hendriks, obviously. 

Before the Hendriks news I would have said a Graveman type just to appease Jerry and his penny pinching ways if they would take him and Crochet if the Sox were willing to take on salary but we both know that won’t happen. Difficult to see how they could make the money work out at the moment 

Cheap ass owner underpaying players so they can make huge profits. No way he should have signed for less than Leury money. I was hoping with the new CBA we'd see fans continuing to demand higher salaries for players. He doesn't have many seasons left, this should have been a better payday. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Cheap ass owner underpaying players so they can make huge profits. No way he should have signed for less than Leury money. I was hoping with the new CBA we'd see fans continuing to demand higher salaries for players. He doesn't have many seasons left, this should have been a better payday. 

what anti-worker point are you trying to make here, exactly? You do this all the time. Yes, Tex, we all agree if this past season taught us 1 thing it's that the owners deserve to pocket more money, it certainly shouldn't go to the people doing the actual work or anything. You're all over the damn place but you tend to come back to the same old chestnuts.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

what anti-worker point are you trying to make here, exactly? You do this all the time. Yes, Tex, we all agree if this past season taught us 1 thing it's that the owners deserve to pocket more money, it certainly shouldn't go to the people doing the actual work or anything. You're all over the damn place but you tend to come back to the same old chestnuts.

People complain how bad Leury's contact is. It should be the minimum. I'm complaining about any player who signs a worst deal. 

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

People complain how bad Leury's contact is. It should be the minimum. I'm complaining about any player who signs a worst deal. 

It's impossible to keep up with your positions considering you're borderline anti-free agency. (possibly not even borderline)