Gary Sanchez Twitter rumor

2Deep

• Balta1701 changed the title to Gary Sanchez rumor
  • Quin changed the title to Gary Sanchez Twitter rumor

Actually this would be an excellent value signing. Despite his reputation as a bat first catcher who can't catch, last year he had positive defensive numbers (FG had him with positive defensive stats and baseball savant had him in the 79th percentile in pop time, framing was league average at 50). 

Xwoba was above average and xslug was well above average.  He was a reverse splits hitter last year with 99 wrc+ vs RHP and only 64 vs LHP, which is fine for us.

On a cheap deal this makes alot of sense.

A catcher who is a league average hitter against RHP is great esp if his defensive improvements hold. We have literally nothing reliable at C this is a good bridge until when Yaz is off the books.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Actually this would be an excellent value signing. Despite his reputation as a bat first catcher who can't catch, last year he had positive defensive numbers (FG had him with positive defensive stats and baseball savant had him in the 79th percentile in pop time, framing was league average at 50). 

Xwoba was above average and xslug was well above average.  He was a reverse splits hitter last year with 99 wrc+ vs RHP and only 64 vs LHP, which is fine for us.

On a cheap deal this makes alot of sense.

A catcher who is a league average hitter against RHP is great esp if his defensive improvements hold. We have literally nothing reliable at C this is a good bridge until when Yaz is off the books.

There has been a lot of using fangraphs defensive WAR for catchers this offseason and being surprised what catchers it favors.

Id recommend at some point questioning whether to continue using that.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

There has been a lot of using fangraphs defensive WAR for catchers this offseason and being surprised what catchers it favors.

Teams seem to value framing much higher than the general public, even fans on here. They will take great framers who allow a ton of passed balls which is a profile most fans don't like.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Sanchez would help with the HR issue, but realistically, I don't think he's any better than a Seby/Perez combo at backup C. Would be an odd signing unless he signs for practically free.

I think the obvious way this would go wrong is that they cut or trade Zavala to clear the roster spot, and in order the quality of catchers out of this group next year turn out to be Zavala, McGuire, Grandal, Sanchez, best to worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think that's less of an issue of the stat itself and more people just not realizing that it's a positional adjustment that makes catchers look more valuable defensively/them not realizing that the "Def" stat next to WAR isn't dWAR. Sanchez ranked 18th out of 30 defensively among catchers with 600+ innings, which seems fair since he did make a few tangible improvements last year

This could be total BS, and likely is, but there is reason to believe the Sox are after a C with the previous, although supposed, interest in Murphy and Jansen.  I’m opposed to adding a C at the expense of Seby and not Yaz, but if Yaz really is cooked, I worry about what shortsighted move they do make as the likelihood they simply cut bait doesn’t seem high to me.  

I know he has supposedly improved defensively, but why not sign a guy most likely cheaper, who pitchers love to throw to? I though the Sox could use a guy like Barnhart earlier. Stolen bases are about to become more prevalent, he would have been a better use of resources than Sanchez. It has to be BS.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the obvious way this would go wrong is that they cut or trade Zavala to clear the roster spot, and in order the quality of catchers out of this group next year turn out to be Zavala, McGuire, Grandal, Sanchez, best to worst.

?