Giolito revamped mechanics

Tnetennba

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Short arm gone. Makes me more nervous

He’s been working with som pretty advanced things. I wouldn’t be too nervous. He wouldn’t change if it didn’t make him better.

BTW, they had Eloy on MLBN today. He looks good. Yonder Alonso was interviewing him. He looks 70 lbs. lighter than Yonder.

• Like 2

Short arm action vs long arm action means more with arm climb at foot strike.  As long as his arm is in the correct place at foot strike the rest doesn’t matter.  The arm spiral and layback are usually the same.  Short arm is used a lot to simplify moving parts.  The more worrying thing is this guy keeps changing his mechanics every year or so. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure getting rid of his short arm action is the right thing to do. It was the thing that made him effective because the release point made it hard to pick up the ball out of his hand. He also threw harder with the short arm action vs. his long arm action prior. I'm sure there's people way more knowledgeable than me advising him, but Lucas decided to bulk up last off-season and it didn't really help him.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'm not sure getting rid of his short arm action is the right thing to do. It was the thing that made him effective because the release point made it hard to pick up the ball out of his hand. He also threw harder with the short arm action vs. his long arm action prior. I'm sure there's people way more knowledgeable than me advising him, but Lucas decided to bulk up last off-season and it didn't really help him.  

Well, I mean if it doesn't work it hurts him far more than anyone else with a contract coming up. I'm sure he's not making any changes lightly

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Seems counterintuitive that the shorter arm would provide more centrifugal force but my guess is that he's trying to get his velocity back.  Fingers crossed.  When he had it going he was great.

7 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

Short arm action vs long arm action means more with arm climb at foot strike.  As long as his arm is in the correct place at foot strike the rest doesn’t matter.  The arm spiral and layback are usually the same.  Short arm is used a lot to simplify moving parts.  The more worrying thing is this guy keeps changing his mechanics every year or so. 

You only have at most 10 months to worry about Gio as a White Sox.

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

He was touching 100 as a prospect with that arm motion. Granted that was years ago, but technically that was the same arm motion he did bring it from. It's his contract year, Lucas is trying to get paid.. but this isn't normal for an MLB big league pitcher to keep changing his mechanics this drastically. 

This change wasnt just a whim after struggling.

A biomechanics assessment this offseason revealed misfiring in his delivery, and a throwing program reintroducing plyometric balls with focus on “getting everything back in sync, my whole kinetic chain” is going well.

He's got his kenetic chain in sync. Look out AL.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

He was touching 100 as a prospect with that arm motion. Granted that was years ago, but technically that was the same arm motion he did bring it from. It's his contract year, Lucas is trying to get paid.. but this isn't normal for an MLB big league pitcher to keep changing his mechanics this drastically. 

That arm action was also a TJS ago. I'm not sure he's got the same arm strength he did back then.