Giolito revamped mechanics

Tnetennba

11 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm not sure getting rid of his short arm action is the right thing to do. It was the thing that made him effective because the release point made it hard to pick up the ball out of his hand. He also threw harder with the short arm action vs. his long arm action prior. I'm sure there's people way more knowledgeable than me advising him, but Lucas decided to bulk up last off-season and it didn't really help him.  

my concerns as well.

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He's non-short arm was a disaster for years.  Which is why I am nervous.

As I said, it wasn’t working last season and something needed to be fixed. Will this change work?  Who knows.  But I going to wait to see the results.  I like that he’s putting in the work to fix whatever was broken.  There is a lot on the line for Gio this season on top of team expectations, I highly doubt he’s approached this lightly. 

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He's non-short arm was a disaster for years.  Which is why I am nervous.

He also only made the short arm super effective with the ridiculously spinny changeup though. Now that he can’t do that any more, it seems reasonable to try to adapt. But…he has never been effective against big leaguers without the short arm, so for the season who knows what this will bring.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:45 PM, chw42 said:

I'm not sure getting rid of his short arm action is the right thing to do. It was the thing that made him effective because the release point made it hard to pick up the ball out of his hand. He also threw harder with the short arm action vs. his long arm action prior. I'm sure there's people way more knowledgeable than me advising him, but Lucas decided to bulk up last off-season and it didn't really help him.  

Tech can work miracles. Lucas lost a little velocity before last year and got some bad body advice, and thought bulking would assist. Flexibility and band training are really what builds and maintains velo. It happens when you have so many trainers and people in your ear. Played with a kid I thought would be a big leaguer. Top tier player in the Midwest at showcases. Went to school and got huge in the weight room. Lost all his Flexibility and fluidity in his swing. Works for some but doesn't work for others in baseball.

In regards to the arm action, this isn't some full extension parallel to the ground midpoint. He's still relatively short but he's giving his arm a little more time to not be out in front of his body/legs. This type of change is likely driven by good data and high speed tracking, which to me is way more reliable than work out ideas.

I think Lucas has the best year of his career this year. 

23 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Pretty good twitter thread from Jordan Lazowski from Soxon35th breaking this down

Not sure who this is, but I agree. Pretty much what I was breaking down. This is a good refinement and not a full fledged change. Lucas body is different than it was and it'll continue to evolve. Changes to maintaining balance and a strong base through the ball are always needed. With Lucas he's just much more vocal and open about the work so it goes more noticed. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, Balta1701 said:

He also only made the short arm super effective with the ridiculously spinny changeup though. Now that he can’t do that any more, it seems reasonable to try to adapt. But…he has never been effective against big leaguers without the short arm, so for the season who knows what this will bring.

You guys acting like this isn't still pretty short arm action is crazy to me.

I never realized how big Giolito is. Was listening to most recent Chuck G. & Ryan Mc podcast. They said that Gio is 6’ 7” and always been big, but then said that with the weight lifting bulk up he came in to spring training last year at 280. They said pretty early that it was clear that was a mistake, but once season starts, it’s really hard to make adjustments.

Both were confident, with contract up and all factors this year, we’d see the return of good Giolito this year.