The problem with the White Sox is not 2B and RF, it's their "superstars."

VAfan

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

I understand his approach or thought in knowing he can't spend top dollar for FA's, so he tried to lock up his core to competitive but long term deals before they debuted to have a real "window" to work with. 

But as we know, that core hasn't been able to stay on the field, or produce at a high level. He invested into the wrong horses. That's not a budget issue. That's a talent evaluation issue.  

Exactly.  He's had plenty of budget to work with, limitations notwithstanding.  How he's used it is in an entirely different matter.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

He is a major part of it, yes.

There are plenty of organizations much more successful than the White Sox that have done it with a much smaller payroll, consistently. I’m not saying there are serious limitations ownership has set on this FO, but let’s not pretend it’s an impossible task to build a winner with a $180 million payroll. It’s done every year. 

The White Sox are exhibit A on how locking up young players early can go wrong. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 2:09 AM, VAfan said:

Yes, the 2022 White Sox "broke" me. I've been a fan since 1970 - 52 years. I can't recall a team that was as unwatchable as last year's Sox team.  Somehow they finished 81-81. Andrus helped immensely when he came over. But he wasn't part of the hype train that fell completely on their faces. 

The "core" guys should be embarrassed by how bad they were, and how they could not stay healthy.  They chased pitches. Had no strategy. Poor fielding. It was just terrible baseball. 

Obviously there have been much worse Sox teams. But most of those teams weren't expected to be good.  When you are expected to be good, and you suck, that's bad. 

I do think the Pedrol Grifol hire is the best thing the team has done in years.  I don't know if he can keep these guys healthy, but I think he's going to show them what they need to do to succeed.  He may actually wake them up.  

As for filling 2B and RF with veterans, I think that would be a mistake.  This team needs the young energy of guys who are trying to make it in the big leagues.  We have too many guys who think they have already made it and then put up putrid performances. 

Give me Colas for RF over the kind of mediocre veteran the Sox could afford -- like Pollard.   If the rookie outhits Moncada and Grandal, maybe they'll be shamed into working on their own performance instead of just mailing it in. 

At 2B, it's not clear who might emerge among the young guys they have.  I would just cut Leury as dead money.  Give the roster spot to someone like Jake Burger who can actually hit the baseball. And would be another way to put pressure on Moncada.  I still wonder if Burger could play some 2B.  He's got the arm. Would his range be terrible? 

Plus, the Sox are not the Dodgers. They need some minimum salary guys to afford the higher paid players. Where they wasted their money was on guys like Garcia. And Moncada, who has an albatross contract.

I agree, this team is too complacent with all the long term contracts that were signed by the young core.  At first I thought these were great moves by ownership in locking up the core for an extended "championship window", however they became too comfortable knowing they had the job for years to come.  In hindsight It would have been better if we just let them play out their rookie deals which would have made them train and play harder to earn that BIG contract they all seek that will set them up for life.  Our problem is our core is already set for life, it may not be the generational wealth like contracts being handed out to 27-31 year old players.  The difference is those players had to earn it, where the Sox core has already made it.  Watch how they perform in the last year of these deals, my guess is they all become hungry and do what it takes to train and play hard.  Moncada is a prime example of someone that has all the natural talent and the physical tools, who not hungry enough to figure out why he's not performing up to his potential.  

Yoan Moncada signed a 5 year / $70,000,000 contract with the Chicago White Sox, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus, $70,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $14,000,000. In 2023, Moncada will earn a base salary of $17,000,000 and a signing bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $17,800,000. In 2024 his deal bumps up to 24 million.

Call me out if I'm wrong but somehow I bet Yoan tries a little harder in 2024 which will be the last year of his deal if the Sox don't pick-up the 25 mil option in 2025.  

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm sorry, but this take is ridiculous. If all those things happened, the Sox would win 115 games. They don't need to win 115 games to make the playoffs.

With everything going sideways last year, they lost the division by 11 games. If just a couple of those players blow up this year, the potential to sail past Cleveland is easily there.

I'm not saying it's likely or that they are the favorites. But to act like they only have a snowball's chance in hell is just off.