This Day In Sox History...January 20

Lip Man 1

January 20, 1965 - Another big deal pulled off by Sox G.M. Ed Short which kept the franchise’s streak of winning seasons going. The Sox were part of a three-team trade with the Indians and Athletics. When all was said and done, the Sox parted with outfielders Jim Landis and Mike Hershberger, pitcher Fred Talbot and catcher Cam Carreon.

In return they got back power hitting catcher John “Honey” Romano, pitcher Tommy John and outfielder Tommie Agee.

Agee would be named Rookie of the Year in 1966 becoming the first Sox player ever with 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in a season. John would be part of the Sox brilliant starting rotation, making the All-Star team for the first time in 1968. He’d win 82 games in seven years, three times posting an ERA of under three. His trade to the Dodgers at the winter meetings in 1971 netted the Sox Dick Allen.

Romano wasn’t a slouch either in his second stint with the club, banging out 33 home runs in two seasons before being traded. Romano originally came up in the White Sox system and played in 53 games during the 1959 pennant winning season.

January 20, 1984 - Once again Sox G.M. Roland Hemond used the free agent compensation rule to the White Sox advantage, plucking future Hall of Famer Tom Seaver from the Mets. The Sox were entitled to compensation after losing Dennis Lamp to the Blue Jays.

In his two full years with the Sox, Seaver would win 31 games, including his 300th one overall on August 4, 1985 against the Yankees. Earlier that same season he started his 14th opening day on the mound, a big-league record. In both full seasons he’d also throw over 236 innings, averaging 132 strikeouts and have an ERA both times under four. In 1985 his ERA was 3.17.

Tom had to be convinced to join the Sox. It took co-owners Eddie Einhorn and Jerry Reinsdorf going to his hotel room at the winter meetings after they selected him to talk with him face to face before he agreed…. but, before Seaver let them in, he asked to see their ID’s since he had never met them before!

• Like 2

That’s because we had 2 great GM’s that knew how to deal. Today we have a moron who traded away Madrigal and Huer for Kimbrel, TLR used him as a 7th or 8th inning replacement sometimes in the 6th. We have idiots today who are out of touch with the world. Hemond was the best and had balls, brought in Dick Allen, which created excitement for a couple of years. Chuck Tanner as a manger I believe. Ed Shorts moves bringing us Tommy Agee who went on to become part of the miracle Mets of 1969 and bringing back Romano. Hemond bringing us Seaver was brilliant also. Now we’re stuck with an aging owner and a handcuffed GM. Even if he wasn’t handcuffed he’d still screw things up. Sale for Moncada??? Madrigal for Kimbrel??? 

• Fire 1

Even though we received Dick Allen for Tommy John, in hindsight Allen lasted 2 years and Tommy John goes on to win another 200 games with 3 20 win seasons and 288 total wins and a whopping 162 complete games and of course the poster boy for the surgery named after him. I’d love 2 TJ’s on my staff!!!

4 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Even though we received Dick Allen for Tommy John, in hindsight Allen lasted 2 years and Tommy John goes on to win another 200 games with 3 20 win seasons and 288 total wins and a whopping 162 complete games and of course the poster boy for the surgery named after him. I’d love 2 TJ’s on my staff!!!

It was three years and Allen's impact went far beyond the field. He did something TJ never would be able to do, keep the Sox financially solvent, enable them to get a brand new radio deal and keep the turnstiles spinning. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It was three years and Allen's impact went far beyond the field. He did something TJ never would be able to do, keep the Sox financially solvent, enable them to get a brand new radio deal and keep the turnstiles spinning. 

yes, i loved Allen, but he was a premadonna. Got special treatment, we'd never know if was going to show up until you saw the top of his red helmet walking back and forth in the dugout. He was a talent extradinaire. Never went to spring training, never took batting practice and still put up great numbers. If he wasn't beaten into the ground unfairly by the Philly fans, he'd be in the HOF and stayed in Philly for his whole career. Ther racist Philly fans would throw things at him when he was at 1st Base. That's why he started wearing a helmet on defense. They literally had to trade him to save his life. Look up the story on what happened. It was disgusting. 

13 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

yes, i loved Allen, but he was a premadonna. Got special treatment, we'd never know if was going to show up until you saw the top of his red helmet walking back and forth in the dugout. He was a talent extradinaire. Never went to spring training, never took batting practice and still put up great numbers. If he wasn't beaten into the ground unfairly by the Philly fans, he'd be in the HOF and stayed in Philly for his whole career. Ther racist Philly fans would throw things at him when he was at 1st Base. That's why he started wearing a helmet on defense. They literally had to trade him to save his life. Look up the story on what happened. It was disgusting. 

With respect I know everything about it. I was a contributor to Dr. Fletcher's book on Dick and the 72 season, "Chili Dog M.V.P." I'm also a consultant on his next two books, the one on the 1990 team and the stadium controversy and then on the 93/94 clubs and the labor impasse.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:48 AM, AJ'S Cousin said:

That’s because we had 2 great GM’s that knew how to deal. Today we have a moron who traded away Madrigal and Huer for Kimbrel, TLR used him as a 7th or 8th inning replacement sometimes in the 6th. We have idiots today who are out of touch with the world. Hemond was the best and had balls, brought in Dick Allen, which created excitement for a couple of years. Chuck Tanner as a manger I believe. Ed Shorts moves bringing us Tommy Agee who went on to become part of the miracle Mets of 1969 and bringing back Romano. Hemond bringing us Seaver was brilliant also. Now we’re stuck with an aging owner and a handcuffed GM. Even if he wasn’t handcuffed he’d still screw things up. Sale for Moncada??? Madrigal for Kimbrel??? 

I’m sorry, but what has Madrigal done since being traded?

And funny you should praise Ed Short-because he also made deals that took the Sox down the tubes to a 56-106 record in 1970. Sox fans then were saying the same things fans are saying today about Hahn. But 20/20 hindsight viewed through rose-colored glasses is a great thing.