This Day In Sox History...January 24

Lip Man 1

January 24, 2003 - Sometimes luck plays a part in things...sometimes a very big part.  

On this date, Sox G.M. Kenny Williams signed free agent pitcher Esteban Loaiza to a contract. Loaiza was expected to round out the back end of the rotation...he did more than that.

By season’s end he had won 21 games, started the All-Star Game and led the A.L. in strikeouts with 207. His ERA was 2.90. He could have won the Cy Young Award but a pair of 1-0 losses to Detroit appeared to be the difference in doing so. He ended up second in the voting.

The next year he was traded to the Yankees at midseason, for pitcher Jose Contreras…another deal that worked out to the White Sox advantage! He was reacquired off of waivers by the Sox on June 4, 2008 and appeared in three games before being given his release and retiring.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yup, and that’s the last thing that ever happened to Esteban Loaiza. Nothing happened after he retired.

If you are referring to the drug conviction (and I assume you are) that's got nothing to do with his time with the Sox, that's no different than any other player in my notations. When they leave the Sox that's really not relevant unless they remain say as an "ambassador."   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If you are referring to the drug conviction (and I assume you are) that's got nothing to do with his time with the Sox, that's no different than any other player in my notations. When they leave the Sox that's really not relevant unless they remain say as an "ambassador."   

Good point Lip, we dont need a Pablo Escobar associated w our team