Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

6 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Found this from August of 2021, just by googling today.  Read the first two paragraphs.

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2021/08/17/trevor-bauers-accuser-questioned-about-past-relationships-with-padres-players/

That's not the article, although Clevinger's not mentioned in this article "other Padre's player's" I did find one that mentioned Clevinger as one of the "other" player's.

Here's the quote....Bauer’s accuser, who dubs herself an ardent San Diego Padres fan, also said she had previous sexual relationships with other major league players, including Padres star Fernando Tatis Jr. and pitcher Mike Clevinger. 

From this article also in August of 2021, the quote appears towards the bottom.  https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2021/08/19/judge-denies-san-diego-womans-call-for-extension-of-restraining-order-against-trevor-bauer/

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Even if the Sox didn’t know before they agreed to sign him, they had to know before today. They probably had to know before the Clevinger fluff piece last week. If they did, that is sick.

Until given reason to think otherwise, I really do believe the White Sox didn't know until perhaps yesterday when she shared the images on Instagram, or maybe whenever they were called for comment by the Athletic reporter, which was probably yesterday too, she probably decided to share those knowing that the reporter was making calls for comments.

If you want to believe that the White Sox could have found this if they did a sufficient enough background check, and that there were warning signs in this guy's background that justified doing a more extensive check into his history, and that the White Sox didn't do enough - that could well be possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Here's the quote....Bauer’s accuser, who dubs herself an ardent San Diego Padres fan, also said she had previous sexual relationships with other major league players, including Padres star Fernando Tatis Jr. and pitcher Mike Clevinger. 

From this article also in August of 2021, the quote appears towards the bottom.  https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2021/08/19/judge-denies-san-diego-womans-call-for-extension-of-restraining-order-against-trevor-bauer/

I don't know how this is true, but Clevinger's name does not appear in the article I'm seeing, only Tatis. 

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

I posted the wrong link, see my post on page 11 for the correct link.

while it doesn't accuse him of being an abuser, it's his character that comes into question

Got it, only in the second article, not the first. Thanks. 

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

And? She claimed to have previously had a “sexual relationship” with Clevinger. Pretty sure those are allowed

https://theathletic.com/1997516/2020/08/14/indians-send-mike-clevinger-zach-plesac-to-minors-what-does-it-mean/

First, you have all the issues he caused with the Indians/Guardians...Francona, and his teammates.  The whole Covid-19 fiasco.

Then, you have the tie with the likes of Trevor Bauer (multiple) accusers, Tatis Jr. and Puig...just do a rudimentary google search.

You have rumors out there of him never being faithful to a single woman he was with...that he was an active participant with so-called groupies despite taking quite limited responsibility for parenting at the very least.

This was before all that stuff coming out today.

Not mention that he and Sean Manaea were just not that good in the first place down the stretch with very spotty/inconsistent stuff.  He has simply never returned to that dominant form he had in CLE.  In fact, one memorable playoff game he recorded either one or zero outs before being pulled.  (See Shields/James/Big Game last start before being acquired by Hahn. Mistake repeated.  Guessing no other team was willing to go over $8-9 million with his tattered clubhouse reputation.)

Also, guess they learned nothing from the TA7 situation this past year.  They subtract Abreu, add guys like this and wonder how everything could have possibly gone so wrong when all the signs were there.

So no regrets putting White Sox aside until Hahn and/or Reinsdorf are gone.  They deserve those billboards about selling the team or even a boycott.

(And it's not just LaRussa, you also have Boston, Myers, Cordero, Wally Backman, Vizquel, Wes Helms, D'Angelo Jimenez, etc.)

Edited by caulfield12

1) Clevinger is a POS

2) MLB should have told the Sox before they decided to OK the FA signing. This is a bit bizarre to me, maybe they legally couldn't do it but now Clevinger is going to get 12 million dollars for free. 

3) I am going to wait until there is more information here (yes I believe the victim, but I also I believe in due process). 

4) Vizquel, Hahn being sued by a former trainer, LaRussa, Wes Helms, Darryl Boston, now Clevinger, all recent POS in this organization HOW IS NOBODY BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE in this front office for allowing this to go on? If it comes out the Sox knew about this Clevinger thing I am done. Absolutely done. 

Just now, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

In this case I don’t see how. Was he supposed to remain a virgin until marriage? I guess I still fail to see any relevance. News flash but young people tend to like to f***

See track record of spotty character issues above.

Will take side of Terry Francona over Bauer and Clevinger on every occasion. 

Integrity matters.  This isn't about youthful libido.  He's a borderline psychopath if you can believe even half of what's out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

See track record of spotty character issues above.

Will take side of Terry Francona over Bauer and Clevinger on every occasion. 

Integrity matters.  This isn't about youthful libido.  He's a borderline psychopath if you can believe even half of what's out there.

Sure but the person I was responding to was claiming that a woman claiming to have previously had a sexual relationship with Clevinger should have been a red flag that prevented the Sox from offering him a contract. That’s ludicrous. Your example would be harder to argue against

27 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

It’s fair to say Hahn not doing his homework yet again

i would agree, he didn't do his homework and should be fired. Now does that mean in the future you have to ask " did you recently beat your wife and or kids? Did you molest any minors or anyone for that matter? Maybe there has to be a Questionaire of honesty and if they lied, they are suspended for LIFE!!!! THis is not the Armed Forces with "don't ask, don't tell" 

3 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Looks Davis Martin gets the job!!!! LOL 

Martin left his last start with the dreaded "forearm soreness." Sox have said nothing since then, until he's on the mound and shows he is OK you can't make any assumptions.

24 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

1) Clevinger is a POS

2) MLB should have told the Sox before they decided to OK the FA signing. This is a bit bizarre to me, maybe they legally couldn't do it but now Clevinger is going to get 12 million dollars for free. 

3) I am going to wait until there is more information here (yes I believe the victim, but I also I believe in due process). 

4) Vizquel, Hahn being sued by a former trainer, LaRussa, Wes Helms, Darryl Boston, now Clevinger, all recent POS in this organization HOW IS NOBODY BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE in this front office for allowing this to go on? If it comes out the Sox knew about this Clevinger thing I am done. Absolutely done. 

Sounds like MLB literally could not tell the Sox. Also not sure if he will get that money, who knows how the contract lays anything out. 

8 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

i would agree, he didn't do his homework and should be fired. Now does that mean in the future you have to ask " did you recently beat your wife and or kids? Did you molest any minors or anyone for that matter? Maybe there has to be a Questionaire of honesty and if they lied, they are suspended for LIFE!!!! THis is not the Armed Forces with "don't ask, don't tell" 

The real question is whether this was reported to any other spot that should have been found in an investigation. In Bauer’s case for example, he had a restraining order filed against him by a woman in Cleveland IIRC (maybe Cinci) and the Dodgers didn’t find out about that until the Washington Post published about it. That was a case where the team could have found out if they’d tried hard enough and didn’t.

So, were there other documents filed here? A doctor or hospital admission report? Was this reported to police? Were any legal steps taken? Those are things the White Sox could have potentially found if they happened.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Sounds like MLB literally could not tell the Sox. Also not sure if he will get that money, who knows how the contract lays anything out. 

He will get that money *unless he is suspended without pay*. If a suspension comes, that will cost him.