Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah they really didn’t know. I honestly don’t even think his agent knew the extent. The ex reached out to MLB but there’s apparently no criminal complaint. Nothing would’ve come of this likely if she didn’t post what was posted today. It always comes back to Jerry though for sure. They had like &15-$16 million to spend and no prospects to trade. It’s how you end up dumpster diving constantly and hoping for bounce backs. 

I just don’t really get the no prospects to trade. Every team would be interested in Montgomery. Most teams would be interested in Ramos, Jrod, Sosa, Vera and Mena. They have a limited number of guys to trade with value, they just chose not to move them. That doesn’t even mention guys like Colas and Burke who also have value but should impact the Sox 2023 roster. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don’t really get the no prospects to trade. Every team would be interested in Montgomery. Most teams would be interested in Ramos, Jrod, Sosa, Vera and Mena. They have a limited number of guys to trade with value, they just chose not to move them. That doesn’t even mention guys like Colas and Burke who also have value but should impact the Sox 2023 roster. 

Everyone wants Montgomery and the top guys. Sox aren’t going to do that for marginal upgrades. They needed to keep spending but Jerry lives to draw arbitrary lines in the sand 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There's not a fan here, well maybe one or two, on their own hardcore fan message board, willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt. That speaks volumes.  

You know what, I wonder if they knew about this before the cancelled Sox Fest. 

When did Hahn know and what did he do? It appears he knew before today, and it appears he did nothing. 

A few years ago the Internet blew up with this term "fan murdering". I think it describes pretty much exactly what this team has done to their fans over the last two decades. There has been a series of fan murdering moves and it never ends.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

San Diego was not allowed to share any knowledge of this with any other team or with the press, that's quite explicit in the policy. 

That’s a real BS REASON. CBA is bullshit if teams can get screwed over. Rules have to change. Information doesn’t have to out to go out the general public, but information should be shared amongst the owners/GM’s on free agents where something like this can impact a roster and payroll. There needs to be a buyer beware label on these players between GM’s. I’m old enough and I’m sure others on this blog remember Owners back in the 80’s colluded to not sign other teams free agents. Carlton Fisk was still kind of in his Prime. Not one team offered him a contract. The same happened with other stars. They talked among themselves then. Clevinger was a free agent. SD didn’t have to dump him to get out from under his contract. If they knew they should have said something to any team that wanted to sign him. 

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

That’s a real BS REASON. CBA is bullshit if teams can get screwed over. Rules have to change. Information doesn’t have to out to go out the general public, but information should be shared amongst the owners/GM’s on free agents where something like this can impact a roster and payroll. There needs to be a buyer beware label on these players between GM’s. I’m old enough and I’m sure others on this blog remember Owners back in the 80’s colluded to not sign other teams free agents. Carlton Fisk was still kind of in his Prime. Not one team offered him a contract. The same happened with other stars. They talked among themselves then. Clevinger was a free agent. SD didn’t have to dump him to get out from under his contract. If they knew they should have said something to any team that wanted to sign him. 

Yes, cases like Carlton Fisk getting screwed over are why guys like Clevinger can slide under the radar.

• Haha 1

It honestly doesn’t matter if the Sox knew or not. If they did, it makes them look worse, but how much lower can it really get at this point? If you’re already swimming in s%*#, if someone dumps some more on, does it really matter? 

The point is they are so far away from earning any benefit of the doubt, on anything. Literally any move they make should be questioned by everyone. Their track record, especially over the last 24 months is hard to fathom. If you tried to make every wrong move, I still don’t think you accomplish what the White Sox have somehow done. The incompetence is borderline impressive. 

• Like 7

Just now, Tony said:

It honestly doesn’t matter if the Sox knew or not. If they did, it makes them look worse, but how much lower can it really get at this point? If you’re already swimming in s%*#, if someone dumps some more on, does it really matter? 

The point is they are so far away from earning any benefit of the doubt, on anything. Literally any move they make should be questioned by everyone. Their track record, especially over the last 24 months is hard to fathom. If you tried to make every wrong move, I still don’t think you accomplish what the White Sox have somehow done. The incompetence is borderline impressive. 

Hey man Kenny Williams beat Hahn five in a row at ping pong during the winter meetings and JR just sprung for new paddles.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don't think they knew, but I think James put it best: They only put themselves in a situation where someone like Clevinger jumps at taking the first team-favorable contract put in front of him because they want to go bargain hunting.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely in agreement that full investigations need to take place in these instances to condemn a person. But just a little bit of digging through the internet and this looks like a horrible miss on the part of the White Sox. There have been signs that this is semi-regular behavior for this dude and even the smallest amount of vetting probably would've indicated this was a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Rick Hahn should be fired tomorrow morning. They had to have know about this and it’s  inexcusable if they didn’t.

A press release should be ready tomorrow morning announcing his firing but it’s not because this is a fucking disaster of an organization with a fucking terrible owner. 

Personally, i dont think Hahn walks out of 2023 as the White Sox GM. But the sooner the better.

11 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Personally, i dont think Hahn walks out of 2023 as the White Sox GM. But the sooner the better.

He totally will still be here. Jerry doesn't fire anyone. I'm fairly convinced Hahn could run over 6-7 fans outside the stadium with his car and Jerry would still justify keeping him in the organization. Maybe Jerry would punish him by promoting Hahn with more guaranteed salary to take over for a retiring KW.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He totally will still be here. Jerry doesn't fire anyone. I'm fairly convinced Hahn could run over 6-7 fans outside the stadium with his car and Jerry would still justify keeping him in the organization. Maybe Jerry would punish him by promoting Hahn with more guaranteed salary to take over for a retiring KW.

Rick Hahn could shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue, and Jerry would still vote for him to become the president

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I'm absolutely in agreement that full investigations need to take place in these instances to condemn a person. But just a little bit of digging through the internet and this looks like a horrible miss on the part of the White Sox. There have been signs that this is semi-regular behavior for this dude and even the smallest amount of vetting probably would've indicated this was a bad idea.

Only way he’s not the GM of this team by the end of the year is if he decides to leave on his own. He is never getting fired and you can say that about anyone in this front office.

Man this is scary stuff. No way this guy will play baseball again. But it will be the commish who has to suspend him, right, in conjunction with the players' association?

Sox are hamstrung by the innocent until proven guilty mantra right? I'm sure the MLB players association will demand results of investigation before he's suspended. Or am I clueless on this?

I don't want it to seem like I'm some Sox fanatic that wants him to pitch for the Sox if he did this stuff. I'm just wondering how the suspension works. Best wishes to all involved. If he abused people I pray they are OK physically and mentally. If he didn't do anything wrong I pray he's exonerated.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don't be the person who looks to make excuses for people like this, even accidentally.

I agree with southsider. I don't give him the benefit of the doubt in any way but I hope the true facts are unearthed and justice is served.

Edited by greg775

9 hours ago, chw42 said:

Cleveland may be good at developing pitchers, but it seems like most of the starters they produce are assholes. 

But they are smart enough to dump them for something before it's too late. It's teams like the Padres, Dodgers and White Sox who are eager to acquire "the talent", regardless of known history. Don't forget Cleveland's coaching staff (not that the Sox can cast the first stone).

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

See track record of spotty character issues above.

Will take side of Terry Francona over Bauer and Clevinger on every occasion. 

Integrity matters.  This isn't about youthful libido.  He's a borderline psychopath if you can believe even half of what's out there.

This. Clevenger was a bad signing before this came out. Now he is a repulsive bad signing.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

So is it true more people are coming out to say Clevinger abused them?  

I couldn't find anything in this tweet thread, but this tweet states Clevinger kicked out what I believe is a previous mother of two of his children born in 2016 and 2017, based on the NY Post article.

https://twitter.com/EmSheDoesIt/status/1617983358293921793?s=20

https://nypost.com/2023/01/24/mike-clevinger-accused-of-domestic-violence-child-abuse/

Finestead says she’s in contact with other women Clevinger has allegedly abused, sharing a purported message from one and adding that he threatened the mother of his other children, daughters born in 2016 and 2017.

31 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Only way he’s not the GM of this team by the end of the year is if he decides to leave on his own. He is never getting fired and you can say that about anyone in this front office.

The only scenario I could see is if Brian Ball refuses to accept a settlement on his discrimination suit and either bad enough evidence is disclosed in the discovery phase and or the Chicago White Sox and Rick Hahn, who is being personally sued, lose this case.

Jerry would likely give zero fucks, because that is how he rolls, but MLB would step in off line and tell him Rick Hahn needs to go. Could still see Jerry digging in, because that is his nature / proclivity.

PS - Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall

Proverbs 16:18 KJV

5 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Then they would have been subject to a lawsuit (at best) and fine as well as successful and expensive civil lawsuit at worst.

I guess there's a saying that all publicity is good...but White Sox have been challenging that axiom since the TLR managerial announcement.

Finally, due diligence is the responsibility of any organization in the world that hires employees, especially hires over $10+ million per year (along with costly insurance on the contract.)

Edited by caulfield12

This guy is a piece of s%*#. He has three kids with two different women, and his most recent child is with a woman he knocked up while he was supposed to be with his original baby mama. All this "innocent until proven guilty" is bullshit that completely ignores the context around this guy. Cleveland couldn't get rid of him quick enough. He had major problems there. The Dodgers wanted to move on ASAP. There's so much smoke surrounding this guy, that there's no doubt in my mind he did what he is accused of doing. The guy is a fucking redneck white trash asshole. The throwing chew at his child is so fucking on-brand, and such a strange accusation to make, that you can pretty much guarantee it is true.

This organization attracts pieces of s%*#, and the only logical explanation for this is, birds of a feather, flock together.

f*** this guy, and f*** the White Sox. This team doesn't deserve fans, and I hope this mother fucker goes to jail so he sees what it is like to be the victim of abuse.

I'm done with this team. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty clear when you trade away six players to acquire a guy and then want absolutely nothing to do with him despite having a couple of rotation openings (and Snell/Darvish not for much longer) that the relationship there had seriously soured.

Preller would pretty much sell his soul to win and walked away instead of doubling down on a bad move and making it even worse like some team I'm quite familiar with now by age 53.

Great point, you would of thought the Sox would have taken that clue and said no thanks, but Rick's trying to be the  smartest man in the room where he's the only one at the table and was most likely bidding again against himself when he signed this POS early.

15 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

It would be very hard to put together a 25 man roster if dudes who cheated on their wifes or baby mama's were not allowed to play professional baseball. 

haha oh i know. ive said it a few times before but when i was in my 20's there was a bar that both i and the sox used to frequent a lot. they're not trying to hide it very well. the only guy that seemed to have it under control was paul konerko. he was like a bouncer outside a fancy club. he not only denied every girl, he wouldn't even sit next to them or take a picture. paulie is a legend. 

the worst? not that its my business or anybodys but he did it so openly continuously ... peavy. that man was a dog. him and ryan dempsters wife at the time were ... um ... very close ...

I don't love that these guys do that stuff and I've taken the same mindset as you ... im trying to watch fun baseball. i'm not 8 years old and looking for an idol. these guys can do whatever they want to a point. 

However for me that point is when things start becoming illegal and/or can have charges. a kid is 10/10 no-no. i know theyre allegations, but to me ... kid is a non-starter. I'll hear out the story on a guy like bauer and try to find the reasonable take, but as soon as you involve a kid its over for me. Can't have that guy on my team.