Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

12 hours ago, GreenSox said:

If there was a record that could have been found by a background check, then it's reasonable to conclude that the Sox absolutely did not do a sufficient background check (or one at all).  And given that there was an open investigation, it's likely that there was a record that could have been found. 
Time to bump up the old thread, if it hasn't been bumped.

This stuff has been out there about Clevenger for a while but Hahn chose to ignore it because he got a player he's always wanted at a price they could afford.  I really hope they can't get out of paying him because they need to be punished for being so F'ing stupid.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Only way he’s not the GM of this team by the end of the year is if he decides to leave on his own. He is never getting fired and you can say that about anyone in this front office.

I'll agree to disagree. I have a feeling he'll be axed and I think maybe this Clevinger situation will accelerate it. Kenny has a job for life if he wants it. Most likely is Hahn "steps down" which allows him to save face. Similar to Robin. 

The dude is a complete scumbag but he is not going to jail and probably not going to get released based on the current facts seen.

Sadly in the world of sports he is not an exception and is probably the norm.

Until there is actual proof of this, social media photos and posts are not enough to cost him anything.  I apologize if I missed further details.

This should cost Hahn his job if he was unaware of this stuff as that is just poor performance of duty.  If he did do his due diligence and thought this was as sound investment he should be fired to the moon.

Taking him over Cueto is pure insanity.  it almost feels like the White Sox do not even try to improve their situation.

4 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I'll agree to disagree. I have a feeling he'll be axed and I think maybe this Clevinger situation will accelerate it. Kenny has a job for life if he wants it. Most likely is Hahn "steps down" which allows him to save face. Similar to Robin. 

Why would he step down? There are only 30 MLB GM jobs out there and we all know he wouldn’t get a chance being a GM elsewhere seeing how bad he is at the job here.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Taking him over Cueto is pure insanity.  it almost feels like the White Sox do not even try to improve their situation.

It was right there in front of him!  He chose that s%*# turd over a guy that was great for them.  Great on the mound and great in the clubhouse.  It's truly remarkable how bad Hahn is at his job.  He has absolutely no feel for the game of baseball.  He should be a contract negotiator or a lobbyist or something but for gods sake quit pretending you're a GM.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It was right there in front of him!  He chose that s%*# turd over a guy that was great for them.  Great on the mound and great in the clubhouse.  It's truly remarkable how bad Hahn is at his job.  He has absolutely no feel for the game of baseball.  He should be a contract negotiator or a lobbyist or something but for gods sake quit pretending you're a GM.  

Talk to me after the parade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why would he step down? There are only 30 MLB GM jobs out there and we all know he wouldn’t get a chance being a GM elsewhere seeing how bad he is at the job here.

What I implied was they'd fire him privately but publicly allow him to "step down" in order to shield his reputation. Sorry I thought that was clear.

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

haha oh i know. ive said it a few times before but when i was in my 20's there was a bar that both i and the sox used to frequent a lot. they're not trying to hide it very well. the only guy that seemed to have it under control was paul konerko. he was like a bouncer outside a fancy club. he not only denied every girl, he wouldn't even sit next to them or take a picture. paulie is a legend. 

the worst? not that its my business or anybodys but he did it so openly continuously ... peavy. that man was a dog. him and ryan dempsters wife at the time were ... um ... very close ...

I don't love that these guys do that stuff and I've taken the same mindset as you ... im trying to watch fun baseball. i'm not 8 years old and looking for an idol. these guys can do whatever they want to a point. 

However for me that point is when things start becoming illegal and/or can have charges. a kid is 10/10 no-no. i know theyre allegations, but to me ... kid is a non-starter. I'll hear out the story on a guy like bauer and try to find the reasonable take, but as soon as you involve a kid its over for me. Can't have that guy on my team. 

Paulie is defintely a legend 100%. Still rock his jersey from time to time. 

Agree 100% on the child abuse and domestic abuse stuff. Not kosher in any way shape or form. 

But yeah most of these dudes are out getting some tail on the side. Anyone trying to pretend that Clevinger is some bad dude for sleeping around are not gonna be able to root for many professional athlethes. Clevinger is a bad dude cause he allegeldy abused his wife and kid not because he couldn't keep it in his pants. 

While this was definitely an organizational f*** up, and there’s no real excuse for it…But do people really think it’s Rick Hahn’s job to do background checks on players? This is a billion + dollar MLB franchise that employs a lot of people, I highly doubt the GM is the one to check into a players background. I know it’s easy to pile on Hahn because of the horrible job he’s done the past 3 years or so, but seems like he’s become the scapegoat for just about everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

While this was definitely an organizational f*** up, and there’s no real excuse for it…But do people really think it’s Rick Hahn’s job to do background checks on players? This is a billion + dollar MLB franchise that employs a lot of people, I highly doubt the GM is the one to check into a players background. I know it’s easy to pile on Hahn because of the horrible job he’s done the past 3 years or so, but seems like he’s become the scapegoat for just about everything. 

It isn't his job per se, but in his position, you ARE responsible for what happens underneath you.  That's why Hahn gets generic blame here from people.  Yes people understand that it isn't Hahn himself out sleuthing each player, but someone under his should be doing it and reporting back to him.  If it isn't happening, that means Hahn isn't doing his job by making sure he has all of the information he needs to make good decisions.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get all that but the problem is, of all the free agent pitchers, he picked this guy. There were red flags with him about other things. Hahns instincts are horrendous. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah they really didn’t know. I honestly don’t even think his agent knew the extent. The ex reached out to MLB but there’s apparently no criminal complaint. Nothing would’ve come of this likely if she didn’t post what was posted today. It always comes back to Jerry though for sure. They had like &15-$16 million to spend and no prospects to trade. It’s how you end up dumpster diving constantly and hoping for bounce backs. 

Why not do some deep diving on the guy who's seen as a asshole and scumbag across the league?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't his job per se, but in his position, you ARE responsible for what happens underneath you.  That's why Hahn gets generic blame here from people.  Yes people understand that it isn't Hahn himself out sleuthing each player, but someone under his should be doing it and reporting back to him.  If it isn't happening, that means Hahn isn't doing his job by making sure he has all of the information he needs to make good decisions.

I know supposedly the investigation can't be revealed, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't find out there was an ongoing investigation into this guy even if they didn't tell them what it was about. 

4 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Has there been any additional reporting yet on what the White Sox knew at the time of signing?

All I have seen is that when the Sox signed him the MLB was already investigating, but the Sox assert that they didn't know this.

They claimed they knew nothing, and I have yet to see a follow up.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get all that but the problem is, of all the free agent pitchers, he picked this guy. There were red flags with him about other things. Hahns instincts are horrendous. 

I almost wonder if the AJ experience makes the Sox think they can fit anyone into the lockerroom.

28 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It's not his job to do the background checks but it is his job to listen to the people who did do the background checks. 

and holy s%*# LOL calling Hahn a scapegoat.   

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The GM himself wouldn't check a player's background, but for a $12 million commitment, it sure seems like they should absolutely be spending >$10k on a detailed background check. Particularly in the case of a person where you have reason to believe a player has had previous personal issues.

If the article yesterday is accurate, and this isn't the first time he's done this or the first woman he's done this with, one would suspect somewhere that there could be a paper trail, and that would have turned up with an appropriately done background check. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Hahn is the fall guy for the organization because he is at the top and responsible for everything that happens underneath him. It's inexcusable for the White Sox to not have known anything about this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Hahn is the fall guy for the organization because he is at the top and responsible for everything that happens underneath him. It's inexcusable for the White Sox to not have known anything about this. 

I keep seeing people say this here and even more on twitter, but beyond Clevinger just sort of having a rep for a being a bit of a dirtbag, how were the Sox supposed to know about this?

There is no police report.  Extremely likely that even if they pulled a detailed background check, nothing about this would have come up.  The MLB doesn't report to local police departments.  The league is quite literally bound by confidentiality on issues like this prior to the player having their day in court and they cannot essentially blackball a guy from the league for allegations.  I understand why folks have a hard time wrapping their head around that, but that is quite literally what the legal document says.  Go look at @Y2Jimmytwitter page.  Are you expecting someone in the MLB offices to break those rules and call up the Sox when the caught wind of the signing?  I mean, that is literally what people are insinuating should have happened.  That would open up the MLB to all sorts of risk.    

Now, I can get people saying that Clevinger has always appeared to be a dirt bag and just steering clear of that type of character in general.  I don't necessarily agree with that because I think alot of professional athletes are dirtbags and you're just putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage by avoiding all adulterous athletes, but I can at least see it.  But to insinuate the Sox knew about this is advance, lied about it in their released statement, and just chose to sign this guy anyway is beyond silly.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Bro, you don't fire the mail room guy if the CEO runs the company into the ground. The buck stops at the top.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This stuff has been out there about Clevenger for a while but Hahn chose to ignore it because he got a player he's always wanted at a price they could afford.  I really hope they can't get out of paying him because they need to be punished for being so F'ing stupid.  

Disagree because I’m a White Sox fan.

• Like 3