Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

When the Sox signed Clevinger, CHGO podcast with Herb and Sean Anderson had some guy from San Diego on to talk about it and he kept saying how much he liked Clevinger and how nicely Clevinger treated this guy's kid.  It also seemed like this guy liked him because he was a good interview.  Does anyone remember who this was?  I'm curious to look at his twitter to see if he has made any comments about it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

When the Sox signed Clevinger, CHGO podcast with Herb and Sean Anderson had some guy from San Diego on to talk about it and he kept saying how much he liked Clevinger and how nicely Clevinger treated this guy's kid.  It also seemed like this guy liked him because he was a good interview.  Does anyone remember who this was?  I'm curious to look at his twitter to see if he has made any comments about it.  

I believe it was a padres radio guy… perhaps 😆

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m not carrying any water. Just because one person is making illogical arguments in support of a claim doesn’t mean the claim isn’t true. It just means that particular argument doesn’t validly support it

This is true, just not in the way think it is.  It's also absolutely true that you have been entirely one sided in your arguments here.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There was zero reason to do that stupid mutual option if they weren't casually moving it onto their 2024 budget. It won't be picked up because mutual options are almost never picked up. "Oh there was actually no reason to do this but they did it anyway and it turns out that it gave Clevinger an extra $4 million" is not a defense for him, it actually is even dumber!!!!

Don't think this will work out as well as Pollock.

Imagine if he re-upped as everyone logically expected?

How much tighter the budget would be...they've now had to carve out Abreu, and weren't able to deal Hendriks/now Graveman or Grandal.

(It's going to be no shocker at all when fan favorites/co-leaders Giolito and Anderson are shown the door next as I have written about 100+ times in past comments about this upcoming phase of Sox baseball.)

Of course, the major problem is the timing for the so-called next wave is off and is currently limited to Montgomery, Colas and potentially Vera.  Just too thin in impact talent if Kopech and Vaughn aren't as projected or even just one key player gets Injured.

11 names.  

Just now, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Well here is another fallacious response. It is as if you have zero concept of how rational thought actually works

Look, you can keep feeding us all this I am just applying LoGiC crap that you can hide behind as to not overtly be seen as defending Clevinger. It's the oldest trick in the 2nd level Troll book, the whole I am just asking questions here, not actually defending this...

I can appreciate that you seem to have enough rational thought to not leave yourself a nice place to hide on the sidelines, but if you cared about ACTUAL logic, you would understand the stats as they pertain to domestic abuse.

Your claim is essentially that I am on the other side of the argument therefore my statements are wrong. Sorry but that is ludicrous thinking, clearly not a valid counter argument. Pointing this out doesn’t make me a troll. It just makes a person making points you don’t like. As I pointed out stats are irrelevant in relation to a specific incident, no different that assuming someone hasn’t committed murder because the stats say the vast majority of people don’t commit murder. It doesn’t mean Clevinger is innocent, it means that particular argument is stupid. It’s not really a matter of opinion. That is in actual fact a nonsense argument.

I thought about this deeper. When you scrape for discounts, reclamation projects and small commitments...you get the bottom of the barrel. This whole situation is a product of Jerry Reinsdorf's cheap ass reluctancy to give out big deals and you end up with big pieces of s%*# like Clevinger. Window was never open and won't even unlock until the man behind the curtain croaks. 

12 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Your claim is essentially that I am on the other side of the argument therefore my statements are wrong. Sorry but that is ludicrous thinking, clearly not a valid counter argument. Pointing this out doesn’t make me a troll. It just makes a person making points you don’t like. As I pointed out stats are irrelevant in relation to a specific incident, no different that assuming someone hasn’t committed murder because the stats say the vast majority of people don’t commit murder. It doesn’t mean Clevinger is innocent, it means that particular argument is stupid. It’s not really a matter of opinion. That is in actual fact a nonsense argument.

Usually the first thing is these allegations are false, a total denial. This wasn't anything close to a denial.

“We need to fairly and thoroughly protect our client and at the same time be respectful of the White Sox and MLB,” said Clevinger's agent, Seth Levinson in a statement provided to The Athletic

And I guess by being respectful to the White Sox, that doesn't include giving them a heads up on the investigation until the contract is signed, and the accuser is going public.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Stop wasting your time with him, he's a sarcastic tool, and not a very sharp one either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

For example if you asked someone if they ever murdered anyone, 99.9% of the time it would be true when they said no. Yet murder does indeed happen. You wouldn’t say well 99.9% of the time when someone says they didn’t murder someone it’s true, therefore in this particular case, the accused said he didn’t do it, therefore it is safe to assume it is true.

Yeah you would fail statistics.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Usually the first thing is these allegations are false, a total denial. This wasn't anything close to a denial.

“We need to fairly and thoroughly protect our client and at the same time be respectful of the White Sox and MLB,” said Clevinger's agent, Seth Levinson in a statement provided to The Athletic

And I guess by being respectful to the White Sox, that doesn't include giving them a heads up on the investigation until the contract is signed, and the accuser is going public.

This I consider a reasonable argument.

But believing that most people tell the truth, therefore believing a specific individual must be telling the truth, and concluding that is a reasonable thought process? I guess I’ll just say bless your little heart to whoever believes that and leave it at that.

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Some guys would hire a team of lawyers, sue the complainant for slander and take it to the Supreme Court.

I'm trying to figure out how this could ever wind up at the Supreme Court. Are you suggesting he had a Constitutional right to abuse someone? 

7 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’ll break it down to the simplest, most neutral terms possible.

Claiming most A is B, therefore all A is B is not reasonable thinking. And it never will be. Doesn’t matter what side of an argument you are on.

Then by your own logic, there is no need for you to comment at all, because it isn't known.

But that sure hasn't stopped you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What these guys do in their personal lives is none of our business and many of them do it. 

They should completely clean house. They won't though. 

It isn’t any of our business, I agree.  That it’s not our business doesn’t make philanderers any less of the assholes that they are.  

46 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Welcome to the digital and social media world of 2023. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

It isn’t any of our business, I agree.  That it’s not our business doesn’t make philanderers any less of the assholes that they are.  

Sure but some around here were saying that Clevinger's sleeping around with multiple women was a giant red flag and that the Sox shouldn't have signed him because of it.  The Sox would be hard pressed to sign like 75% of the league if rumors of infidelity was an automatic disqualifier. 

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Then by your own logic, there is no need for you to comment at all, because it isn't known.

But that sure hasn't stopped you.

Again this is not at all a logical statement. My logic is that basics of reason should be followed not that comments pointing out that there are unknowns shouldn’t be made. It is mind blowing you think that somehow is a rational assessment of my point.