Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

35 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm trying to figure out how this could ever wind up at the Supreme Court. Are you suggesting he had a Constitutional right to abuse someone? 

Thinking of someone in the political field who thinks he owns the court. There could be a free speech issue but that was not my point really. I was not being serious. No protection for abusers. 

30 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Again this is not at all a logical statement. My logic is that basics of reason should be followed not that comments pointing out that there are unknowns shouldn’t be made. It is mind blowing you think that somehow is a rational assessment of my point.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Did you make a gigantic ass of yourself during the Patrick Kane saga? It's a shame we can't dig through that old subforum and find out. I'd imagine you did. 

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Did you make a gigantic ass of yourself during the Patrick Kane saga? It's a shame we can't dig through that old subforum and find out. I'd imagine you did. 

All the Kaner stuff died down pretty quickly if I remember correctly. Big difference there was the fact that Kaner was being accused by some random women and not his wife or Baby Mama. Also, there was no child abuse allegations there. Not exactly the same situations. 

Just now, fathom said:

It’s going to be so awkward when Clevinger is participating in Spring Training as if everything is fine.  Doesn’t sound like the Sox have many options to sit him down.

Now that this has leaked, "administrative leave" during the investigation seems plausible. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Now that this has leaked, "administrative leave" during the investigation seems plausible. 

But what has changed since when MLB found out about it last Summer?  I’m surprised Padres aren’t getting more heat for continuing to pitch him.  One of the things that still baffles me is how this scumbag negotiated in good faith with a new organization, knowing this would come out and tarnish the new team.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

But what has changed since when MLB found out about it last Summer?  I’m surprised Padres aren’t getting more heat for continuing to pitch him.  One of the things that still baffles me is how this scumbag negotiated in good faith with a new organization, knowing this would come out and tarnish the new team.

What's changed is that this has been made public in a way that was out of the control of the league. That could mean that the acquiring team is simply uncomfortable with playing him to start the year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s crazy, isn’t it?  Didn’t take long for them to tire of Madrigal’s antics either.

I do not know what Madrigal's issues were but I remember hearing a little interview with him when he was still in the minors.  The whole interview gave off the vibe that he didn't really need coaching....he had all the tools and just needed to take them to the next level.  Was one of the issues that he was not coachable?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Important parts from this article that people need to remember

League policy prevents the team from disciplining Clevinger now.

Therefore, the White Sox would not be authorized to discipline Clevinger prior to the completion of the investigation, unless the Commissioner’s Office transferred that authority to the team, according to the policy.

Releasing Clevinger before the completion of the investigation would likely be construed as grounds for a grievance.

--

So we will be dealing with this crap for a while.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well first of all, based on how much I was saying they needed to clear payroll at the trade deadline to avoid this situation, I would never have let myself get into this spot.

But if I was hired as a new GM to fix this mess, I would have made harder choices. Either I would have said “I have $17 million to spend so I’m only going to spend $17 million” or I would have traded away a player to clear more money. 

Acting like a capped out NFL team trying to compete for one last year always creates a bill that comes due. A baseball team punting money into next year to sign players this year is just silly, and they deserve to have it bite their GM in the ass.

It’s not silly when the competitive window is quickly running out of time.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, you can keep feeding us all this I am just applying LoGiC crap that you can hide behind as to not overtly be seen as defending Clevinger. It's the oldest trick in the 2nd level Troll book, the whole I am just asking questions here, not actually defending this...

I can appreciate that you seem to have enough rational thought to not leave yourself a nice place to hide on the sidelines, but if you cared about ACTUAL logic, you would understand the stats as they pertain to domestic abuse.

So if you ask questions and want the investigation seen through, you're "defending Clevinger?"  Displaying patience and wanting it done correctly before running an athlete out of town is a "trick in the book?" Desiring to not apply overall statistics to an INDIVIDUAL'S guilt or innocence is somehow "hiding on the sidelines?"  Interesting...

13 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Therefore, the White Sox would not be authorized to discipline Clevinger prior to the completion of the investigation, unless the Commissioner’s Office transferred that authority to the team, according to the policy.

Releasing Clevinger before the completion of the investigation would likely be construed as grounds for a grievance.

--

These are the consequences for not doing your background work.

What would be the remedy for the grievance? To pay his salary? Then fucking pay Clevinger his fucking $12 million and DFA his fucking ass. This is the cost of doing the right thing. Sorry it hurts your wallet, you stupid cheapskates. 

12 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

--

7 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What would be the remedy for the grievance? To pay his salary? Then fucking pay Clevinger his fucking $12 million and DFA his fucking ass. This is the cost of doing the right thing. Sorry it hurts your wallet, you stupid cheapskates. 

A lot of people don't want to see him get $12 million for DV allegations.

• Thanks 1