Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Thinking of someone in the political field who thinks he owns the court. There could be a free speech issue but that was not my point really. I was not being serious. No protection for abusers. 

Gotcha. It was too early for me to pick up subtlety. Lol

7 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

23 pages and counting wasted on the POS Clevinger.  I can see 4 pages tops, how bout we talk baseball and end this back and forth BS until MLB completes their investigation.

How about no

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

24 pages and counting wasted on the POS Clevinger.  I can see 4 pages tops, how bout we talk baseball and end this back and forth BS until MLB completes their investigation.

Brooks Boyer line?

Unfortunately we can't just shove it under the rug like LA with Bauer because they actually have the money to cover for such mistakes and a full decade’s worth of making the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

Important parts from this article that people need to remember

League policy prevents the team from disciplining Clevinger now.

Therefore, the White Sox would not be authorized to discipline Clevinger prior to the completion of the investigation, unless the Commissioner’s Office transferred that authority to the team, according to the policy.

Releasing Clevinger before the completion of the investigation would likely be construed as grounds for a grievance.

--

So we will be dealing with this crap for a while.

The state of the White Sox in 2023:

What's worse for their chances to win?

1. Going into the season with only four major league-caliber starting pitchers in the entire organization

or

2. Going into the season with five starting pitchers, but having the entire team deal EVERY DAY with booing, criticism, and reporters asking to them to go on record about whether or not they support a current teammate who they're pretty sure is a child abuser.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

1. Going into the season with only four major league-caliber starting pitchers in the entire organization

or

2. Going into the season with five starting pitchers, but having the entire team deal EVERY DAY with booing, criticism, and reporters asking to them to go on record about whether or not they support a current teammate who they're pretty sure is a child abuser.

They're both shitty but I think that the second one is worse. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What would be the remedy for the grievance? To pay his salary? Then fucking pay Clevinger his fucking $12 million and DFA his fucking ass. This is the cost of doing the right thing. Sorry it hurts your wallet, you stupid cheapskates. 

They aren’t going to willingly do something that would cause the players association to file a grievance. 

1 hour ago, Highland said:

The Sox should eat whatever money they have to and let this guy go. 

Nobody cares about Jerry Reinsdorf’s money. I especially don’t. The thought of Clevinger getting $12 million right now is gross though. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Makes no sense they haven’t added any depth.

They don’t have any money 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They aren’t going to willingly do something that would cause the players association to file a grievance. 

Nobody cares about Jerry Reinsdorf’s money. I especially don’t. The thought of Clevinger getting $12 million right now is gross though. 

Just even guys on waivers. Justus Sheffield has an option for example. Not great obviously but still young and left-handed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They could add Herrera to the back of the pen for that bargain price.

Or get both Bonifacio and Holland.

I really don’t care about the White Sox losing money through this stupidity on their part, I already laughed at the fact that Hahn guaranteed him $4 million against suspension with his stupid buyout and option. 

I would care more about taking the money from the suspension out of Clevinger’s accounts. He got that contract by keeping an abuse case quiet, a penalty would be nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

or

Just imagine if the Dodgers kept Bauer around. 

They'd be reviled.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I really don’t care about the White Sox losing money through this stupidity on their part, I already laughed at the fact that Hahn guaranteed him $4 million against suspension with his stupid buyout and option. 

I would care more about taking the money from the suspension out of Clevinger’s accounts. He got that contract by keeping an abuse case quiet, a penalty would be nice.

Well, the one added benefit of almost sheer anonymity in the Chicago market means no tough questions for Hahn and the majority of women won't be following the story unless they are really die-hard Sox fans.

Back again to the days when Joe Maddon jerseys were outselling Abreu in the Quad Cities 4 to 1 back in the mid 2010's.

Just now, wegner said:

How about we go all in with a 6 man rotation including Clevinger and Bauer.

That at least makes the team more competitive...if they're already going down with the HMS Clevinger, why not double down as the most villainous/hated team in baseball like the Raiders used to be in football?  

At least then it would feel like they were actively trying to win. 

This is going to be an administrative death of one thousands cuts rather than a principled stand by the organization anyway.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, the one added benefit of almost sheer anonymity in the Chicago market means no tough questions for Hahn and the majority of women won't be following the story unless they are really die-hard Sox fans.

Back again to the days when Joe Maddon jerseys were outselling Abreu in the Quad Cities 4 to 1 back in the mid 2010's.

I was at a family Sunday at the Field of Dreams site last summer.  The "ghost players" were on the field in their White Sox gear of course.  In the crowd, I was the only person wearing a Sox cap....it was a sea of Cubbie blue with the occasional Cardinals hat.  The White Sox will never be popular in Iowa no matter what they do imo.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

That at least makes the team more competitive...if they're already going down with the HMS Clevinger, why not double down as the most villainous/hated team in baseball like the Raiders used to be in football?  

At least then it would feel like they were actively trying to win. 

This is going to be an administrative death of one thousands cuts rather than a principled stand by the organization anyway.

Can you imagine the vitriol from the ESPN reporters..."WILL IT BE WORTH IT WINNING YOUR 1ST WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WITH THIS PITCHING STAFF?!?"

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not having money doesn’t stop them from claiming a guy like Justus Sheffield who they passed on today and would almost certainly be at worst the 6th best SP in the org if we’re not counting Clevinger. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What these guys do in their personal lives is none of our business and many of them do it. 

As someone who works in the entertainment industry, which includes sports, the people who see on the field and on red carpets aren’t always those people behind closed doors. Can’t stress that enough. 

• Like 1