Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

On 2/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, Balta1701 said:

Guess which major spring training question is not mentioned once in this article.

I doubt we hear much until MLB investigation is over. I’m expecting him to be in camp on Wednesday as Garfien alluded to on 670 earlier today. 

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Can't the team just tell him to f*** off until the investigation is over? Or is that against CBA rules?

Almost always, where's there's smoke there's fire.  Almost always is not 100% of the time.  Holding him back from full spring training would harm both him and the Sox if he were to be cleared.  Worse still would be if he were to be cleared two months from now.  I would think that would put the sox at significant contract liability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I can't stand the fuckin' puke ever since the Cleveland fight.

Can not believe he is going to be in a Sox uniform.

Guess I'll just have to hang my head a little lower when I watch Da Sox dis year.

I may be less likely to watch the games he pitches. Never cared for the guy.

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I don’t know how they’d be able to do that 

There's a clearly outlined "Administrative leave" setup they could use, but it does require that they actually finish this up promptly. It does not seem like MLB has any interest in doing so, if they were dealing with this then somehow it doesn't seem like the victim would go so far as to share the photos. 

• Like 1

Just now, scotty22hotty said:

gross. you'd figure the chisox corp would draw the line at being investigated for child abuse...

this investigation has been going on for over 6 months now. dude is toxic to both the players and fanbase

The investigation going on for 6 months is making me believe they're pulling at strings at this point.  I feel like there'd be SOMETHING with the league and him by now (suspension or leave)

53 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

This is why I waited to join my season tickets group. No way in hell I’m doing it now. That old man doesn’t care. 

It’s not up to him at the moment. The league has to speak before the Sox can do much of anything. 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It just leads me to believe there isn't much in this investigation that will lead to a suspension of him.  Otherwise, I think there would be some administrative leads.  My guess is apart from the he said/she said, there isn't any evidence. 

I agree with this. They may even be cutting backdoor deals with his baby momma. No way he isn't booted off the team or not invited to camp if there was enough evidence against him. 

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

This is why I waited to join my season tickets group. No way in hell I’m doing it now. That old man doesn’t care. 

Not so sure of the legal implications.  If he gets cut and the league then clears him, (or deems no basis for disciplinary action), the first thing I'm doing if I'm him is suing the sox for $24mm

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It just leads me to believe there isn't much in this investigation that will lead to a suspension of him.  Otherwise, I think there would be some administrative leads.  My guess is apart from the he said/she said, there isn't any evidence. 

I just don’t think any sort of leave would happen until the season actually starts.

Given his misconduct for wont of a better word (red flags all over the place) and the way things are today vis a vis the public, never underestimate the pressure that's going to be put on MLB to do something given what is public knowledge.

The guy may be innocent in this instance but again public pressure and his past issues (COVID, et al) may force their hand.  

59 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I just don’t think any sort of leave would happen until the season actually starts.

Trevor Bauer started 2022 on administrative leave and was not at Dodgers training camp. They did not decide his suspension until later.

Based on the fact that the Padres knew about this, we can conclude that MLB knew about this at least in September of last year, possibly several months earlier than that. MLB needs to get off its lazy manfredian ass and do something. Either put him on leave and get a suspension done or if they have reason to support him they need to do so publicly. The domestic violence policy asks for this to be taken care of in a couple weeks, not a year.

This isn’t fair to the victim, who seemingly had to share pictures of her bruises to make MLB get off their butts and listen to her.

This isn’t fair to the White Sox players who have this guy around.

This isn’t fair to the White Sox team who have a player whose status is unknown.

This isn’t fair to white Sox fans who have to decide if they’re cheering their laundry or booing domestic abuse in Arizona.

This isn’t even fair to Clevinger.

Do your damn job Manfred. Either suspend him or say why you’re not, coward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1