Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Shouldn’t have said he understands why he didn’t tell them.  Perfect time for no comment 

I think he was basically saying - if he told us we wouldn't have signed him, so yeah - I get why he didn't tell us - cause he was selfish.  He said that without directly saying that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Sometimes judging a book by the cover works. Clevinger would have qualified before they signed him. Fire Hahn. 

Yes, but using that strategy means we probably don’t ever sign AJ, and might not have that World Series. 

And no, I’m not comparing AJ to Clevinger at all. I’m simply saying that if you avoid all players who look like they might be a problem, then you could miss out on some solid players. 

Look at the Patriots. They are one of the most successful franchises in any sport over the past couple of decades, and they love acquiring players like that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It's still absolutely the wrong response by Hahn. One player is bigger than any sort of moral compass you would hope the organization has. To your point @ChiSox59, you're saying if Rick knew these allegations, he wouldn't have been signed. So Rick is saying "Yeah, we wouldn't have signed him if we knew this was hanging over his head, but I understand why he lied to us, and now we have to support him." 

Wrong answer. The correct answer is some version of "This is not what I want to be talking about on the first day of Spring Training. It's something I wish we knew about and obviously we have to re-evaluate our background process further. As it stands today, we're put in a position where we have to let the process play out and respect any decision MLB puts forward." 

Not "I understand why someone like Mike would lie to us" 

Thay's the Harvard lawyer in him talking...Bill Clintonesque answer/non-answer that came to drive so many crazy in frustration. Because in the end it's just obfuscation and covering his own ass.  His one really elite "skill" as an exec, but tone deaf to the fan base simultaneously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yes, but using that strategy means we probably don’t ever sign AJ, and might not have that World Series. 

And no, I’m not comparing AJ to Clevinger at all. I’m simply saying that if you avoid all players who look like they might be a problem, then you could miss out on some solid players. 

Look at the Patriots. They are one of the most successful franchises in any sport over the past couple of decades, and they love acquiring players like that. 

See Carl Everett, especially first half of career.

Or the Raiders and Cowboys, largely to their detriment in many cases over the last 2-3 decades.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm curious. Why bring any of those other situations up at all if your not making some sort of comparison? 

When was the last time that the Patriots signed someone accused of beating his spouse? 

Edited by Baron

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Too much work for the White Sox to do a freedom of information act request. 

36 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, this is a bit ridiculous. Police departments can take months to send FOIAs back.

and you can't just do a blank request you have to know what you are looking for ahead of time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

MLB dragging its feet into the start of camp makes me worry that they will simply sweep it under the rug.  But I'm a pessimist when it comes to people in power being held accountable for their shitty behavior.

What if they are "dragging their feet" because the accusations are unfounded?  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm curious. Why bring any of those other situations up at all if your not making some sort of comparison? 

When was the last time that the Patriots signed someone accused of beating his spouse? 

While it wasn't his spouse, Antonio Brown had a mountain of accusations by the time the Patriots and Bucs signed him.

this is the perfect time for the fanbase to demand hahn and co get fired. plus expect a lot more anti-jerry sentiment at the park this year...

signing wacha and keeping this moron away from the team seemed like such an obvious move. angering the MLB or union over protecting an alleged child abuser is laughable.

49 minutes ago, Baron said:

I brought them up simply as a response to the post that was implying we shouldn’t have signed Clevinger even if we didn’t know about the domestic abuse. He was saying that Clevinger seemed like a bad guy even before this incident, and we should have avoided him because of that. 

I’m saying that if you always operated this way and avoided players who seemed like they might have character issues, then you miss out on players like AJ. 

As for your second question, I’m guessing you missed my point, otherwise you wouldn’t have asked that. I’m not saying any teams should sign players who are accused of beating their spouse. I’m saying the Sox shouldn’t avoid a player just because he seems like a bad guy. I have no issue with the decision to sign Clevinger before this abuse issue came to light. 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The interview with the s%*# stains baby mama was horrific.  The Sox should release this turd immediately. This isn't just going to go away.

Btw, I truly think they know he will never pitch for them, they just want to recoup as much money as possible 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Any notes you can share?

Very little was shared that you isn't already public.  

She has a meeting with MLB on Friday.  She tried to get Mike to go to rehab and was willing to sign an NDA to do it.  The White Sox have not been in contact, but she said didn't think they could.  Never got a response from the Padres.  Clevinger likes drugs.  Possible Jake Cronenworth overheard the incident as he was in room next door.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I brought them up simply as a response to the post that was implying we shouldn’t have signed Clevinger even if we didn’t know about the domestic abuse. He was saying that Clevinger seemed like a bad guy even before this incident, and we should have avoided him because of that. 

I’m saying that if you always operated this way and avoided players who seemed like they might have character issues, then you miss out on players like AJ. 

As for your second question, I’m guessing you missed my point, otherwise you wouldn’t have asked that. I’m not saying any teams should sign players who are accused of beating their spouse. I’m saying the Sox shouldn’t avoid a player just because he seems like a bad guy. I have no issue with the decision to sign Clevinger before this abuse issue came to light. 

See Belle, Joey Albert

Or Machado to a lesser extent.

A Rod, when he went to Texas and Sox were supposedly a distant second as a stalking horse in the Boras race.

Edited by caulfield12

50 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

What if they are "dragging their feet" because the accusations are unfounded?  

The investigation has been on going since last summer.  If it were completely unfounded wouldn’t we have some resolution then?  What reason would MLB have to drag its feet all winter over nothing just to let it linger over Sox camp all spring?

The drug charge is interesting and could be determinative for him depending on the timing of that accusation.  Other than last year, almost all of his games were in 2016-2019.  There was mandatory drug testing in 2016-2018.  Something changed in 2019, but not sure how that season was affected.

Why don't we all donate a dollar to Prevent Violence, Clevinger apologize to the lady, run some laps and call it a day. One thing I would note generally is these types of couples often deserve each other. Sorting it out after the fact is kind of futile. 

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Any notes you can share?

She said lots of women have contacted her about him abusing them as well.  Sounds like he can't keep it in his pants. She talked a lot about his excessive drug use which is something I heard as well.  She said what she wants most out of this is for him to go to rehab and get well.  She also said some weird stuff about Bauer (not a shock) and how Clevinger lied about not knowing anything about it.  Even for a guy who wants the Sox to eat all the s%*# for being so f'ing stupid this stuff is really bad.    

• Thanks 1