Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Quick question, would the Sox even be allowed to talk to the accuser prior to signing Clevinger?

She said she doesn't think teams are allowed. She didn't hear from the Padres either.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s insane they’re (MLB) finally interviewing her this week after having all offseason.  Hopefully we get a decision in the next few weeks, but Manfred sure screwed over the Sox here.

She said she had multiple interviews with MLB, Friday is just the next interview. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

Quick question, would the Sox even be allowed to talk to the accuser prior to signing Clevinger?

They would have had to have found out about the police report or something like that through an independent, outside of MLB investigation. In that case, they probably could have, but they'd have to have kept it confidential. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

The investigation has been on going since last summer.  If it were completely unfounded wouldn’t we have some resolution then?  What reason would MLB have to drag its feet all winter over nothing just to let it linger over Sox camp all spring?

This is bugging me also...I am half serious about thinking that Manfred gets these and if they're kept quiet he just delays and hopes they go away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think he was basically saying - if he told us we wouldn't have signed him, so yeah - I get why he didn't tell us - cause he was selfish.  He said that without directly saying that.  

So dumb.  It would be like if the cops were searching your place on suspicion of drug possession, and as they're ready to walk out and say nothing here, you say "Hey did you check under the floorboards in the closet?"

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is bugging me also...I am half serious about thinking that Manfred gets these and if they're kept quiet he just delays and hopes they go away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that were their general M.O. too, but this has gone public and isn’t going away.  They have to s%*# or get off the pot here, and it looks more curious that there isn’t any resolution yet. 

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I just can’t help but think if this was someone like Judge involved (hypothetical).  A team’s entire offseason budget could be spent on someone to upgrade a team, only for the player to get suspended because MLB couldn’t tell teams he was under investigation.  Seems like a ridiculous competitive advantage for the team he was on when it started.

Edited by fathom

Overall reactions to today:

1. There is absolutely an ongoing investigation. It is completely ludicrous that this isn’t completed yet.  I’ve got no explanation for this other than Manfred was slow walking it and hoping it could be covered up.

2. Mike Clevinger should be on administrative leave today. There is absolutely an open investigation and a baseball team should not be hung with having to answer these questions or having his victim on the radio being interviewed. This isn’t just bad for the parties involved it’s horrible business for the whole league. How is “sports radio is interview a woman who shared photos of her bruises” anything you ever want your league dealing with??? Put him on leave and avoid this spectacle, you can count this as part of his suspension if and when it happens.

3. The White Sox didn’t do a bad job of answering questions today. If there’s an answer you hated, it’s a question that should never have had to be asked because of items 1, 2, and 4. In many cases there are no right answers.

4. Rick Hahn did an awful job of checking the background of a player with a checkered past. There is potentially a missed police record and likely a record of other s%*# that was missed. This would look bad on a GM having a great run, this is I think the 6th time this GM should have been fired. This isn’t excusable.

5. There is a very high chance that he will be suspended during the season. There is enough here that Manfred will say there’s a high chance something bad happened and he will hand down some discipline, the investigation will just determine how much. This will of course happen right after the White Sox have already lost a different pitcher to injury. Someone will say that no one could possibly have seen this coming.

• Like 4

While it's easy to blame MLB for the investigation taking so long, could it be Clevinger's legal team pushed to delay as long as possible? Seems like the person who gains the most by the delay was him. 

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just can’t help but think if this was someone like Judge involved (hypothetical).  A team’s entire offseason budget could be spent on someone to upgrade a team, only for the player to get suspended because MLB couldn’t tell teams he was under investigation.  Seems like a ridiculous competitive advantage for the team he was on when it started.

This makes a lot of sense. Now let's look how it could be manipulated unfairly. I wonder how many players have been investigation only to be cleared? Imagine if a disgruntled ex could get an investigation started right as a player enters free agency? That seems unfair to the players. 

I wonder what avenues the owners have tried to get entered into the CBA that would protect them. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

While it's easy to blame MLB for the investigation taking so long, could it be Clevinger's legal team pushed to delay as long as possible? Seems like the person who gains the most by the delay was him. 

According to Clevinger’s agent, he didn’t even know about the investigation until she shared her bruise photos.

And even if his legal team was doing something, MLB should not have waited until February to be doing interviews with the victim. Clevinger doesn’t control her interview schedule. That should have been done months ago, all of them. People’s memories get worse over time, you don’t delay stuff like this unless you’re looking for reasons to cover it up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Do you guys think The Score would bring Clevinger's ex on if he was a Cubs player?

Of course not. Espn1000 wasn't bringing her on over either. None of the shock jocks that are Chicago Sports Radio should be handling this either.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Overall reactions to today:

1. There is absolutely an ongoing investigation. It is completely ludicrous that this isn’t completed yet.  I’ve got no explanation for this other than Manfred was slow walking it and hoping it could be covered up.

2. Mike Clevinger should be on administrative leave today. There is absolutely an open investigation and a baseball team should not be hung with having to answer these questions or having his victim on the radio being interviewed. This isn’t just bad for the parties involved it’s horrible business for the whole league. How is “sports radio is interview a woman who shared photos of her bruises” anything you ever want your league dealing with??? Put him on leave and avoid this spectacle, you can count this as part of his suspension if and when it happens.

3. The White Sox didn’t do a bad job of answering questions today. If there’s an answer you hated, it’s a question that should never have had to be asked because of items 1, 2, and 4. In many cases there are no right answers.

4. Rick Hahn did an awful job of checking the background of a player with a checkered past. There is potentially a missed police record and likely a record of other s%*# that was missed. This would look bad on a GM having a great run, this is I think the 6th time this GM should have been fired. This isn’t excusable.

5. There is a very high chance that he will be suspended during the season. There is enough here that Manfred will say there’s a high chance something bad happened and he will hand down some discipline, the investigation will just determine how much. This will of course happen right after the White Sox have already lost a different pitcher to injury. Someone will say that no one could possibly have seen this coming.

Rick is a failure. Got it. Can’t find eight basic guys to play the field for $200MM plus can’t do a lexisnexis search for his latest free agent gamble. None of these points would be a thing if our leader could lead

5 minutes ago, FredBc01 said:

Rick is a failure. Got it. Can’t find eight basic guys to play the field for $200MM plus can’t do a lexisnexis search for his latest free agent gamble. None of these points would be a thing if our leader could lead

Worth adding to that post.

Not only did Hahn watch the Dodgers eat $30 million because of their weak background checks and fail to learn from it, this isn’t the first harassment issue in the recent White Sox organization under Hahn’s management. The White Sox endured a harassment case involving Vizquel and whatever else happened after that to get Wes Helms fired from managing their AAA roster last year after he was previously on Vizquels staff and was then promoted afterwards.

With that recent history of failure to monitor and failure to conduct appropriate background checks, “oh now we know that we should have done this” is a completely unacceptable third strike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

This makes a lot of sense. Now let's look how it could be manipulated unfairly. I wonder how many players have been investigation only to be cleared? Imagine if a disgruntled ex could get an investigation started right as a player enters free agency? That seems unfair to the players. 

I wonder what avenues the owners have tried to get entered into the CBA that would protect them. 

DeShaun Watson situation also comes to mind...multiples of victims, but the seriousness here as it relates to potential child abuse is a huge black eye for baseball regardless.

To MLB braintrust, must be thinking luckily he's not on a high profile team in a hyper critical media market like Philly, Boston, NYC.  

Expect Jeff Passan to weigh in soon.

Not my job but the message should have been that Clev is on paid leave and is going thru supervised anger management over his relationships with women. That would have quelled the problem until a decision is reached.

1 minute ago, pcq said:

Not my job but the message should have been that Clev is on paid leave and is going thru supervised anger management over his relationships with women. That would have quelled the problem until a decision is reached.

Trying to keep track of everything: Are they able to do that without the MLBPA's sign-off?