Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Reddit slowly changing their stance to just hating Hahn for signing Clevinger (which was pretty much Soxtalk's initial taek).

That's because without substantial evidence and court appearances, Clevinger is going to play. The Union won't have it any other way, so the hate for it has to stick somewhere. It's just a sad situation all around. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Funny thing is all of the same things can be said about Clevinger.

I didn’t see him bringing a baby to spring training and holding it while talking about traumatic events. Also don’t recall him contradicting himself within a matter of minutes during an interview about this stuff.

Also it seems to be lost that I’m not attempting to paint Clevenger as some innocent saint… I’ve said often that it isn’t black or white.

Seems most likely to me that she’s embellishing things and Clevenger is a douchebag.

The only unequivocal thing about this situation is it should have easily been avoided if our front office was competent… we all can agree about that. 😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

The arguments being used to undercut her claims could very well be applied to the man under scrutiny here, yet they aren’t.  There is more of his past behavior in public record outside of these accusations than hers, yet he’s presumed innocent and she is dismissed.  Funny why that is. 

They aren’t? Clevinger is largely getting absolutely grilled by fans, media, message board posters etc. 

6 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

That's because without substantial evidence and court appearances, Clevinger is going to play. The Union won't have it any other way, so the hate for it has to stick somewhere. It's just a sad situation all around. 

He doesn’t have to play. He can be on the team all he wants. The manager doesn’t have to pitch him

4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

He doesn’t have to play. He can be on the team all he wants. The manager doesn’t have to pitch him

Hahn and JR would fire him AND Martin would be the fifth starter until an injury...which would put who exactly but into the rotation?  Lopez?

Union grievance as well.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hahn and JR would fire him AND Martin would be the fifth starter until an injury...which would put who exactly but into the rotation?  Lopez?

Union grievance as well.

Lots of hot takes in here… guess it should be expected though. 🤣

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Union grievance as well.

If they wanted him to play, absolutely. If Hahn and JR don't want him to, then he sits. All they re obligated .to do is pay him

On 2/16/2023 at 1:23 PM, Rowand44 said:

I certainly understand your point and I don't disagree but if I could just step away from caring about this stupid organization I would have done so years ago.  Unfortunately I'm here until I die.

I'm not so sure with myself.  It's getting more difficult each year.  Winning fixes everything. I think it will be a great year to watch baseball.

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rich people who can afford the best lawyers?  Can't say that I buy it.

Not all rich people but public figures take a hit when these claims come out.  If these claims are unsubstantiated, the public figure takes the hit, in the case of the non-public rich guy, it goes away.  Outside of the limelight the punishment rate of DV in middle/low income is probably less than 1%.  

While it is all domestic violence the non-public instances and public instances are apples and oranges as  far as the ramifications to the accused.

In this case if files were charged they could be dropped if he paid her off.  In rural IL the same situation the charges are dropped because the victim sadly needs the relationship.

To be honest here, I have been lucky, I have never had any type of domestic violence in my life and never worked in an environment in which it occurred so I really have no ability to speak honestly on this. 

On 2/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

Ahhh yes, let’s play at a disadvantage all season to prove a point. Great idea. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ahhh yes, let’s play at a disadvantage all season to prove a point. Great idea. 

This bed was made by the White Sox. They don’t need to be short, and they don’t need to be short for this reason. My only point is that it’s their choice, not fate. Comments about there needed to be some kind of court judgment to sit him down are not accurate. Don’t be hiding behind the courts and claim he has to play. If this is what kind of players they want on the field, then its on the Sox 100%.

6 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Players Union won't like this idea. That is the problem. 

When has the players union had the power to make up a lineup card? If the union and Clevinger’s agent want to kick up a lot of dust, the Sox can stand up to it and trade/cut him, or they can play him. Its up to the Sox.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

On 1/22/2023 at 6:13 PM, gogosox1959 said:

Feeling better about signing after reading this new blurb in MLBTR today.  Sounds like more than just wishing and hoping that Clevinger will regain past form.  Quoting Katz:

“We broke down some biomechanics stuff after we signed him to kind of show him the differences. Where he was different in all aspects of his delivery, which was probably in correlation to the knee … Now that he is healthy, he is working on it. His bullpens and the videos that I have seen, there’s been no kind of restrictions or anything that’s slowed him down from being able to be aggressive on that back leg

Outside of playing a man short,  the problem might be the contract if it has performance bonuses in it and the Sox deny him the possibility of earning them for no cause.  While I believe that there's a 90% chance that he's guilty of all that he is accused of doing, he still might be cleared.  Cutting him and then him being cleared looks like a potential $24mm liability.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:15 AM, SonofaRoache said:

Players Union won't like this idea. That is the problem. 

On 2/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

When has the players union had the power to make up a lineup card? If the union and Clevinger’s agent want to kick up a lot of dust, the Sox can stand up to it and trade/cut him, or they can play him. Its up to the Sox. 

GT

On 2/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

There's no way they can keep him on the roster and not play him, especially given the 13 pitcher limit. Cutting him before MLB finishes their investigation would probably be a union violation.

On 2/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

the likely scenario is they would just release him. a player can't be suspended or "sent home" for an extended time without a reason. and if they can free up a roster spot as a result, they would do so.

as long as he gets paid the amount of money he is contractually owed, and is not denied the ability to work, the union wont interfere. that's what the dodgers did with bauer after his MLB suspension was terminated.