Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

On 2/23/2023 at 11:49 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

There's no way they can keep him on the roster and not play him, especially given the 13 pitcher limit. Cutting him before MLB finishes their investigation would probably be a union violation.

Exactly. He is under investigation, and according to the cba, can't face team discipline until after the investigation is over. 

4 games in Houston and then the home opener. They’re not dumb enough to let Clevinger start the opener are they? Knowing the Sox, they’ll do that and then name a baby changing station after him.

I would start him in Houston and give the Home Opener to someone the fans want to see like Kopech, or Gio.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

4 games in Houston and then the home opener. They’re not dumb enough to let Clevinger start the opener are they? Knowing the Sox, they’ll do that and then name a baby changing station after him.

I would start him in Houston and give the Home Opener to someone the fans want to see like Kopech, or Gio.

They’ve pretty much already said it’ll be Kopech. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I’ve read Kopech is expected to get the opener 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

The more the accuser talks, the more Clevinger benefits.  She is a loose cannon and clearly is not listening to any lawyer advice.

He won’t miss a game this year.  If he were to be suspended, it would already have happened.

Wouldn't count of that...still going to largely play out in the court of public opinion, and MLB has been fighting the last 20-30 years to increase female interest/participation which is passed on to children (via both parents).

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wouldn't count of that...still going to largely play out in the court of public opinion, and MLB has been fighting the last 20-30 years to increase female interest/participation which is passed on to children (via both parents).

MLB has had more than enough time to act. I think they are either waiting for more substantial evidence, or this case isn't looking strong legally. This is a very serious situation and strong allegations were made. MLB picked their lane and it's the wrong one. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

MLB has had more than enough time to act. I think they are either waiting for more substantial evidence, or this case isn't looking strong legally. This is a very serious situation and strong allegations were made. MLB picked their lane and it's the wrong one. 

How do you know MLB's position? They have made no judgement. There is no way of knowing the MLB's "lane."

34 minutes ago, raBBit said:

How do you know MLB's position? They have made no judgement. There is no way of knowing the MLB's "lane."

Had he said "A source told me" it would be ok right?

Instead, he said "I think" so that doesn't fly around here.  

40 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Had he said "A source told me" it would be ok right?

Instead, he said "I think" so that doesn't fly around here.  

I am not sure what you're trying to say or joke about but he is saying he has an issue with the MLB's position when they don't even have one.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

This was my point. They needed to pick a lane and picked the lane of no punishment without more evidence. 

You don't know that though. Their investigation is still ongoing. They could still hand him a 162 game suspension tonight. Now I don't think that will happen and they should have already made a judgement, but they have not taken a position yet. 

To anyone who has used critical thinking in this situation, there is not a lot of evidence that Clevinger was looking at a big suspension. In DV cases that the MLB has deemed serious, they have acted quickly to put players on administrative leave. In DV cases that were significant enough to involved law enforcement, there has been swift judgements made with the clarity from the law enforcement involvement.

In Clevinger's case, he was put under investigation and subsequently finished his season without interruption. He has already played half a season under this investigation and it took a month or so after the investigation to become public for people to seem to understand that. There really isn't a comparable case with MLB handling an investigation like Clevinger's. At some point, they have to realize, this happened in the "summer" and it is a "he said, she said" situation that you would think has no further evidence coming forward. I am guessing the hold up is the MLB is hoping some more information comes out against Clevinger so they can punish him and be held in the high graces of social media. If they don't have enough/sufficient evidence to punish Clevinger, they are concerned with the backlash they will get for not punishing him. It's really a microcosm of the nasty world that is social media. The people watching this case on social media are not concerned with right or wrong or the facts of the matter, they just want scalps. They want to call Clevinger or the Sox or the MLB names to show how moral and great they are as people by putting down others.

For the folks who aren't concerned with proving their moral greatness to a few hundred followers on Twitter, the following of this is just being a Sox/baseball fan. And for those folks, it's just about the facts of the matter. And the facts bode well Clevinger whether he's a POS or not. And I tend to think he probably is a POS. I just don't think the facts of the matter that are out there at this point give credence to the idea that this investigation will lead to a lengthy suspension if any.

Edited by raBBit
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You don't know that though. Their investigation is still ongoing. They could still hand him a 162 game suspension tonight. Now I don't think that will happen and they should have already made a judgement, but they have not taken a position yet. 

To anyone who has used critical thinking in this situation, there is not a lot of evidence that Clevinger was looking at a big suspension. In DV cases that the MLB has deemed serious, they have acted quickly to put players on administrative leave. In DV cases that were significant enough to involved law enforcement, there has been swift judgements made with the clarity from the law enforcement involvement.

In Clevinger's case, he was put under investigation and subsequently finished his season without interruption. He has already played half a season under this investigation and it took a month or so after the investigation to become public for people to seem to understand that. There really isn't a comparable case with MLB handling an investigation like Clevinger's. At some point, they have to realize, this happened in the "summer" and it is a "he said, she said" situation that you would think has no further evidence coming forward. I am guessing the hold up is the MLB is hoping some more information comes out against Clevinger so they can punish him and be held in the high graces of social media. If they don't have enough/sufficient evidence to punish Clevinger, they are concerned with the backlash they will get for not punishing him. It's really a microcosm of the nasty world that is social media. The people watching this case on social media are not concerned with right or wrong or the facts of the matter, they just want scalps. They want to call Clevinger or the Sox or the MLB names to show how moral and great they are as people by putting down others.

For the folks who aren't concerned with proving their moral greatness to a few hundred followers on Twitter, the following of this is just being a Sox/baseball fan. And for those folks, it's just about the facts of the matter. And the facts bode well Clevinger whether he's a POS or not. And I tend to think he probably is a POS. I just don't think the facts of the matter that are out there at this point give credence to the idea that this investigation will lead to a lengthy suspension if any.

This is an outstanding post. Well done

5 hours ago, raBBit said:

I'm saying they could have put him on some exempt list until further notice. If they didn't do this with the evidence they have available now, this thing could drag out with Clevinger playing. It may take time to get this through court, and I'm not sure anymore pictures of the abuse are coming in. So MLB may end up needing to wait a few months to make a decision when they could have put him on leave already. 

15 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm saying they could have put him on some exempt list until further notice. If they didn't do this with the evidence they have available now, this thing could drag out with Clevinger playing. It may take time to get this through court, and I'm not sure anymore pictures of the abuse are coming in. So MLB may end up needing to wait a few months to make a decision when they could have put him on leave already. 

What court are you referring to?  I thought there were no criminal charges filed and there is only a pending MLB investigation.  Is that wrong?  Is there a civil case filed?  Are you referring to custody hearings?