White Sox Interested in Naperville Legend Nicky Lopez

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Apparently they don’t have to disclose it, but unless they too knew nothing about it, which seems hard to believe, it seems slimy Clevinger and/or his agents didn’t give the White Sox some sort of heads up.

Yep, way to get off to a trusting start with your new employer 

46 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Just go get Madrigal and end this second base bullshit 

I wasn't aware he learned how to: competently hit left handed (and with actual power), field well, avoid injury,  and not be a moron running the bases all in one offseason.

Must have put in alot of work in just 4 months.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fun fact, Lopez was worth 5.9 fWAR in 2021 due to god-like defense. He also hits lefty. And is a very good baserunner.

Three things many people in this thread apparently don't think the Sox need? Hmm.

I am pro Lopez but the reality is it doesn’t do much good to hit lefty when you produce worse than pretty much every right handed hitter vs RHP.

But yes, I think we desperately need a whiz. While someone like a Yolbert could provide shitty offense and plus d, I’ve never heard it at the level of what lopez has shown over the last few years.

59 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fun fact, Lopez was worth 5.9 fWAR in 2021 due to god-like defense. He also hits lefty. And is a very good baserunner.

Three things many people in this thread apparently don't think the Sox need? Hmm.

If we are going to have a sucky 2b, I would rather have one who can field.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

And he had a .283 xwOBA that year. His wOBA was almost 50 points higher. He probably won't produce as well as he did that year on offense again, but I also doubt be will be as bad as he was last year offensively. I'm not opposed to him since his defense gives him an ok floor. If he can slap singles with a .330 OBP he'll be useful. 

38 minutes ago, chw42 said:

And he had a .283 xwOBA that year. His wOBA was almost 50 points higher. He probably won't produce as well as he did that year on offense again, but I also doubt be will be as bad as he was last year offensively. I'm not opposed to him since his defense gives him an ok floor. If he can slap singles with a .330 OBP he'll be useful. 

Lopez's wRC+ over the course of his career:

• 2019 - 56 (44% Below AVG)
  • 2020 - 53 (47% Below AVG)
  • 2021 - 105 (5% Better Than AVG)
  • 2022 - 57 (43% Below AVG)

While 2B defense would be improved, Lopez is not just bad offensively - he's flat out terrible. People think Romy is bad offensively, he had a wRC+ of 69 (nice) last year (and 66 in his sss in 2021).

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Thanks 1