White Sox Interested in Naperville Legend Nicky Lopez

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At some point, most will realize there never was any window. It shut in 2009 and has remained so since. 

There was the potential for a window but with the same guys in charge who didn't know how to create a winner it's days were numbered. Toss in Covid and the lockout smack dab in the middle of it, the TLR hiring and seemingly allowing him to call the shots on acquired players so much that they signed an injured reliever (Kelly) and the 3 or 4 core players expected to be very good  not being very good and constantly injured just flushed it down the toilet.

Eloy ,Robert Moncada the main culprits among the MIA in one way or another. Kopech TJS too. They were propped up by the cheap signing of Rodon for a year and when he was fatigued the 2nd half of 2021 then allowed to leave without a draft pick and no attempt to resign him that threw 2022 into the blender. The whole Kimbrel saga didn't help things entering 2022 either along with the usual Eloy, and Robert injuries and Moncada dinged up all season and acting like baseball was foreign to him when he did play. Anderson also MIA in 2022 along with Gio and Grandal. Let's not forget Vaughn and Sheets forced into playing the OF also along with completely ignoring the need for LH position players and now suddenly remembering this year because of the poor play of Moncada and Grandal.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, WBWSF said:

Jake Burger for Nicky Lopez? Why not? Burger isn't going to play for the White Sox. He's blocked at 3rd base by Moncada and blocked at DH by Eloy.

Jake Burger is the bait I have been wanting to use to land Madrigal.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:48 AM, WBWSF said:

Jake Burger for Nicky Lopez? Why not? 

Because Lopez can't hit and will just clog things up.  We already have a veteran infielder who can't hit:  Leury Garcia
Trade him for a position where we don't have immediate minor league depth:  4th OF or 5th starter

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Don’t each of those guys usually miss significant time during the season?

I can't imagine that Burger is going to be on the White Sox opening day roster. That being the case I would imagine that Burger won't be too thrilled being sent down to the minors again. If you can get Lopez for him in a trade, why not do it?

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

It really does seem the Sox leaked this to take some focus off the Clevinger scandal.  Sad thing is they thought it would make everyone happy.  With that said, I still think it gets done.

This is the same front office that expected the Benintendi signing to energize ticket sales, so I would not be surprised if this were the case.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

It really does seem the Sox leaked this to take some focus off the Clevinger scandal.  Sad thing is they thought it would make everyone happy.  With that said, I still think it gets done.

I don't think the sox trust any of their options as SS, as Mendick is now gone and andrus is unlikely to return.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I hope not. Nicky Lopez stinks. Just play Lenyn Sosa 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Is there any interesting SP option we can also trade for with him?

I doubt it, they have all those semi-young pitchers from the 2018 draft that have underperformed. I think they'll all want them in with the new regime.

But, it would be interesting to see what Katz does with a daniel lynch.

I'm not advocating for the move, because as others have said, Lopez kinda sucks, but the idea behind acquiring a cheap LH infielder would be to serve as a quasi-platoon with Romy or Sosa, not to be the all-out starter. It might start out with one of the rookies (is Romy still considered a rookie?) strictly playing against LHP, but if they succeed, they would eat into Lopez's workload against RHP. If by the time the deadline rolls around one of the rookies looks like they can handle the spot full time, you get rid of Lopez.

In that situation Leury moves to more of a 4th OF role, and Marisnick stays in Charlotte. Or Eloy gets more time in the OF.

I'm confident in Sosa and Romy to hit LHP at the major league level, but I'm far less confident they can hit RHP.