White Sox share plans for new 500-level bars

Bad Hombre

I just don't know where they make their money back here. There are 8 seats in an undesirable location for most. They took out 8 rows of seats for this. They sell those for Cubs games and opening day. Do they really think they will make that up in beer sales there? There are other places to buy beer.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of games up until now, if you wanted to get a beer from a vendor or your nearest stand, and wanted to mosey down to section 516 to watch the game, there probably were seats open in the first couple of rows.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand like how it went so sideways in a few months? I certainly wouldn't put out a press release. This is really no different than the tables and eating areas they have throughout (La Russa's lounge 😉)

Like maybe say this is phase 1. 

Really feels like JR is cutting back and just gonna ride this thing out to the sunset.

• Fire 1

20 years ago Sports radio callers were begging for inexpensive seats to Sox/Cubs games.  Crying about the cost of taking a family of 4.  It felt like it made up 10% of baseball radio.

For the past two decades outside of maybe 2006 they've gotten their wish them. 

$7 gets you into more than half of the Sox home games, $15 gets you into like 75 games.. yet the tickets go unsold or unused.

The reality is those callers were incorrect about the market for inexpensive seats and fans have proven time and time again that they will complain about the price of tickets yet easily spend $30 on a dollars worth of beer.  So you cannot blame the Sox for this move.  

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't understand like how it went so sideways in a few months? I certainly wouldn't put out a press release. This is really no different than the tables and eating areas they have throughout (La Russa's lounge 😉)

Like maybe say this is phase 1. 

Really feels like JR is cutting back and just gonna ride this thing out to the sunset.

I wonder how much he even know what's going on. He's 86.

• Thanks 1

I got to be honest, this franchise sucks a fat you know what.  I’m literally embarrassed to be a fan at this point.  I uprooted my entire family so I could go to Sox games on the regular and I come home to a roster whose only addition is a non-power hitting LF and a stadium whose only upgrade is a baby bar with some high-top tables that can’t even see the field.  For f***’s sack we are a joke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I got to be honest, this franchise sucks a fat you know what.  I’m literally embarrassed to be a fan at this point.  I uprooted my entire family so I could go to Sox games on the regular and I come home to a roster whose only addition is a non-power hitting LF and a stadium whose only upgrade is a baby bar with some high-top tables that can’t even see the field.  For f***’s sack we are a joke.

Jerry's just coasting until it's over.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, bmags said:

he absolutely would be approving stadium renovation budgets and plans. I'm sure he isn't the project manager, no.

People get comfie, including old rich owners. Maybe 20 years ago JR had a sense of pride around his franchises. Now I don't really think he cares. The JR that created disco demo night, the pinwheel and so on doesn't exist anymore. Institutional rot is a thing, and it reflects itself in things like this renovation, where a strong CEO would have prevented how it was changed for the worse.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

People get comfie, including old rich owners. Maybe 20 years ago JR had a sense of pride around his franchises. Now I don't really think he cares. The JR that created disco demo night, the pinwheel and so on doesn't exist anymore. Institutional rot is a thing, and it reflects itself in things like this renovation, where a strong CEO would have prevented how it was changed for the worse.

oh, yeah 100%. I think this probably failed because he doesn't care, but that's why I think he's involved. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Jerry's just coasting until it's over.

Yep. He decided to give it a go with his boy Tony.  Seems once that failed, he decided to pull back.  I personally dgaf about this stupid bar, but the rendering looks terrible and par for the course. 

Not to be morbid, but the man is 86 years old.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  

Edited by ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You mean Bill Veeck? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

“The idea behind the bars is to help fans experience the park in new ways, Brooks Boyer, White Sox chief revenue and marketing officer, said in a statement.“

Hahahahahahahahahah.  Sure. 

I have indeed always wanted to experience the park by sitting at a buffalo wild wings that is inside a parking garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3