Sox claim AJ Alexy from Twins

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Can we find more pitchers with ERA’s above 6?  This spring training is shaping up to be a big joke. 

Lol. Have you looked at this clubs pitching depth sans Clevinger? Sox should be claiming every SP with upside that becomes available. If you have to DFA the guy again a few days later, so what. There is no reason be upset about this move. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. Have you looked at this clubs pitching depth sans Clevinger? Sox should be claiming every SP with upside that becomes available. If you have to DFA the guy again a few days later, so what. There is no reason be upset about this move. 

i agree, but there's got to be some pitchers with a bit more upside than this guy

14 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

i agree, but there's got to be some pitchers with a bit more upside than this guy

They could but that costs money. The best available other than Bauer is probably Michael Wacha, who it's been reported is seeking roughly a 2/$30 deal. Beyond that you have guys like Dylan Buddy, Chris Archer who had ERAs in the mid to high 4s last year and pitched maybe half a season or so and you get worse from there (Chad Kuhl, Mike Minor, Anibal Sanchez)

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could but that costs money. The best available other than Bauer is probably Michael Wacha, who it's been reported is seeking roughly a 2/$30 deal. Beyond that you have guys like Dylan Buddy, Chris Archer who had ERAs in the mid to high 4s last year and pitched maybe half a season or so and you get worse from there (Chad Kuhl, Mike Minor, Anibal Sanchez)

Id take any of Minor, Archer, Kuhl or Bundy on milb deals. 

Same for the rumored Pineda deal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Id take any of Minor, Archer, Kuhl or Bundy on milb deals. 

Same for the rumored Pineda deal. 

It is somewhat surprising that a week has gone by since the Clevinger article was published and they haven't made any move to add a veteran option. 

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is somewhat surprising that a week has gone by since the Clevinger article was published and they haven't made any move to add a veteran option. 

Normally you'd think this but with this inept, dysfunctional and incompetent organization we shouldn't be surprised.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

For guys who are minor leaguers, with options remaining? Not really. If they had more upside, teams wouldn't be waiving them.

The only thing he costs the Sox is a spot on the 40 man. Since the Sox don't seem intent on using those spots for major leaguers, they might as well bring in some minor leaguers who have had some success before and hope they recapture that potential.

11 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

For guys who are minor leaguers, with options remaining? Not really. If they had more upside, teams wouldn't be waiving them.

The only thing he costs the Sox is a spot on the 40 man. Since the Sox don't seem intent on using those spots for major leaguers, they might as well bring in some minor leaguers who have had some success before and hope they recapture that potential.

Justus Sheffield just went unclaimed last week and he has an option remaining.

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Justus Sheffield just went unclaimed last week and he has an option remaining.

You think he has more upside than Alexy? Sheffield is 27 years old and has had AAA ERAs of 6.99 and 8.64 the past two years. Alexy is 24 and had a 1.66 ERA as recently as 2021 before a bad year last year (5.91).

Edit: just realized the 2021 ERA of 8.64 in AAA is misleading, only 8.1 innings. His ERA in Seattle was 6.83 though (80 innings).

Edited by ChiSoxTrojan

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

You think he has more upside than Alexy? Sheffield is 27 years old and has had AAA ERAs of 6.99 and 8.64 the past two years. Alexy is 24 and had a 1.66 ERA as recently as 2021 before a bad year last year (5.91).

Maybe he would be a change of scenery type. As said in other posts, they should be collecting arms. Especially ones they can option.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Maybe he would be a change of scenery type. As said in other posts, they should be collecting arms. Especially ones they can option.

I agree the Sox need a couple more guys to fill out the rotation in Charlotte. Between the two, I think Alexy has more upside. I expect at least one veteran to be brought in on a minor-league deal as well, Pineda or someone like that, who doesn't even need to take up a 40-man spot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I agree the Sox need a couple more guys to fill out the rotation in Charlotte. Between the two, I think Alexy has more upside. I expect at least one veteran to be brought in on a minor-league deal as well, Pineda or someone like that, who doesn't even need to take up a 40-man spot.

Charlotte rotation is now likely Martin, Alexy, Stiever, Burke, and Bilbous…with one of Martin/Alexy having a decent chance at the 5th SP role of a vet isn’t added and Clevinger suspended. 

Improvmewnt from last year, but still think another arm or two would be good. Burke going back to BHam to start would be ideal. 

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I love these kinds of acquisitions. Low-risk, high-upside (albeit low probability)

...that said, I hate that this type of acquisition is the best we can hope for.

Have to hope they are at least aaa worthy. Sox leave them with a fair amount of drek.