The White Sox over/under for 2023 wins is 83.5

Chick Mercedes

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think they'll be a little better.  They ended up 81-81 last season, and a lot went wrong.  They didn't do much to improve, but even some slight rebounds from a few guys add some wins.

Pitching is way too thin to take the over, particularly when our top two hitters are prone to go down for half a season. One of our starting pitchers and one of Eloy or Robert are injured this team could easily lose ninety plus games. If the four top starters pitch 30 games and those two play 140 games they could win some games but no way I’m taking that bet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 2

I’m holding out hope Hahn is hiding a trick up his sleeve and pulls off a trade to improve the major league roster. Foolish I know, but maybe a trade is more likely when teams have otherwise settled their rosters. Someone pointed out the plethora of 6th starter options the Padres have, maybe they would be more apt to unload one during spring training after they get a fresh look at them, for example

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think they'll be a little better.  They ended up 81-81 last season, and a lot went wrong.  They didn't do much to improve, but even some slight rebounds from a few guys add some wins.

Tony also punted at least 10 games.  Even if you want to only give them credit for half that, that's significant if you get any improvement on health and/or performance from Robert, TA, Yoan, Grandal, Eloy etc. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

Call me a fool but I would have kept Jhonny and Elvis and found a couple more like them. Someone needs to work with Yo and recover his left side stroke. We need playahs. 

Betting on aging players that had their best seasons in half a decade+ generally is a terrible way to do business.  

That said, I'd definitely take Elvis for like $2M at this point. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Giolito will be gone by July if I had to bet

There is a pretty big difference between trading Giolito and "blowing the whole thing up".

Giolito, and any other expiring asset should be traded if the Sox aren't winning the division or within a couple games as the TDL approaches.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Betting on aging players that had their best seasons in half a decade+ generally is a terrible way to do business.  

That said, I'd definitely take Elvis for like $2M at this point. 

But Hahn has set the bar so low. 🤷 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they are going to half ass this, they might as well blow it up.  At least be honest with the fan base.

This org doesn't give a s%*# about the fanbase.  If half-assing it puts a few more asses in the seats before the ASB, they will do it.

• Like 1