The White Sox over/under for 2023 wins is 83.5

Chick Mercedes

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Is there a "this team will not win the AL" bet? Because I'd happily take Vegas's money betting on the Sox for that one.

This reminds me of that guy who bet $1.4 million on the Jaguars to lose when they were down 27, would have won $11,500 had he won, and lost the $1.4 million when they came back.

• Like 1

Even though Hahn sucks and didn't do a damn thing this off season, I still have a feeling this team surprises us.  I'd easily take the over, by more than a few games too.  It will be interesting to looks back on this thread months from now and see who was right.

• Like 1

Whether over or under is correct is not the point

The point is actually that we are in the heart of a decade long franchise defining rebuild, and it is perfectly damned legitimate for betting experts to set the friggin over/under at 83.5 and there are perfectly damned legitimate arguments as to why that is probably accurate within 3-5 games either way. It is a devastating notion. The over/under should be at ninety friggin five. 

This is a dumpster fire of an organization. I would rather this team loses 120 than wins 83.5 or anywhere within 5 games of that range. That debating 83 vs 85 vs 81 is acceptable is further proof that this ownership group is not serious about contending in the sport of baseball at the major league level and should be boycotted until further notice. 

They contemptuously laugh at the fans while they cash their checks and pat themselves on the back while checking all the “valuation of the team” boxes while paying us all just the right amount of lip service.

What a bunch of reprehensible clowns we have running this franchise we can’t quit, huh?

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think 90 wins, but I would say 87.

I’m not predicting 90 losses, but I think they will be closer to 90 losses than 90 wins.  Too many question marks and too many holes, with next to no depth, near ready prospects, or available funds to add.  Banking on perfect health and spectacular bounce back from everyone feels like a recipe for failure. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m not predicting 90 losses, but I think they will be closer to 90 losses than 90 wins.  Too many question marks and too many holes, with next to no depth, near ready prospects, or available funds to add.  Banking on perfect health and spectacular bounce back from everyone fells like a recipe for failure. 

I don't think they need "perfect" health. Somewhere in between perfect health and last year's health (combined with no TLR) would give us more wins than last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don't think they need "perfect" health. Somewhere in between perfect health and last year's health (combined with no TLR) would give us more wins than last year.

I would have thought this pre-hendriks/clevinger but those were pretty big hits.

I think I'm higher on our near available position player depth than most, but still terrified of our pitching depth. Agree with others that it's such a miss not to add a Justus Sheffield. I think he's probably bad but he is younger than these 34 year old AA pitchers we've been putting in AAA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pcq said:

They would need the young inner core of their lineup to all shine through which has yet to happen. One thing improved with Colas and Benni would seem to be OF defense. 

It happened in 2020 in August and boy was that awesome.

29 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

They were a .500 team last year, and yes no more TLR should be a boost, but does Beni replace Abreu and then some?  No Cueto, no Hendriks, whatever scrap heap replaces Clevinger, that's a lot to overcome.  Even before we start talking about how much we can actually bank on any of these guys to remain healthy and produce like we once believed they could.

• Like 1

The Sox won 81 games last year despite the following:

• They were managed by a corpse who's decisions more often than not seemed like he was actually trying to put the team in a position to lose.  He also set a precedent that hustling was not important. 
  • Luis Robert recorded 2 RBI and 0 HR after July 14th - yes 2 friggin RBI - despite appearing in 25 games.  Missed 64 total games, but played 25 with 1 hand.  Robert basically missed the entire 2nd half of the season. 
  • Tim Anderson missed 83 games, although wasn't himself even after returning from the May groin injury.  
  • Yoan Moncada missed 58 games, and when he played, he posted a wRC+ of 76, a significant drop from 120 in 2021, and WELL below his career average of 108, which includes the awful 2022.
  • Eloy Jimenez missed 78 games.  While he did post a strong wRC+ when he played, he still missed half the season, although expecting Eloy to play more than 120 games is fools good.
  • Yasmani Grandal was -0.4 fWAR and 68 wRC+ player after posting 3.6 fWAR and 158 wRC+ in 2021.  Chances are Grandal didn't completely forget how to hit a baseball at 33 years old.  We now know he was dealing with significant injuries all season.  I don't have high hopes for Grandal finding the fountain of youth in 2023, but I think it'd be very difficult for him not to improve on his 2022 in a time share.  
  • The Sox spent the vast majority of the season playing two first basemen in the OF leaving them with easily the worst OF defense in the game.  This turned a 113 wRC+ effort from Andrew Vaughn into a negative fWAR player.  The days of Vaughn being anything more than an emergency OF are over.  
  • Lynn, Kopech and Giolito all missed starts, with Lynn and Kopech missing significant time.  Bummer missed significant time. 

Basically, nearly everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong in 2022.  Despite all of that going wrong, the Sox still were as close as 3 games back in mid September. I can understanding looking at this group and being discouraged.  We lost a franchise pillar in Jose Abreu, which sucks.  But in doing so improved the OF defense immensely which was, in my opinion, the biggest team need along with getting more left handed.  While we didn't get as left handed as I would have liked, adding Benintendi and Colas will balance the lineup a great deal, especially if Moncada and Yaz bounce back, even modestly.

This offseason sucked.  Jerry is the worst.  Hahn appears to be puzzled, and handcuffed.  The Clevinger thing is terrible. Lots of bad.  But this this squad still has a boatload of talent, and the division still isn't good.  The Twins have hardly improved on a team that finished 3 games behind the Sox.  The Guardians are the Guardians, and frankly were bad for most of the season before getting hot at the right time. I think all three of those clubs will finish above .500 and we'll have an entertaining 3 team race all season. 

I would be really shocked to see things go as poorly for The Sox in 23 and they did in 22.   I have this team winning 88 games, and I think 90+ is in the cards if their best players can stay healthy enough play 130+ games.  I, for one, cannot wait for April for some White Sox baseball.  I think this club will surprise, and I think Grifol will be the freshest of fresh air for the boys. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox won 81 games last year despite the following:

• They were managed by a corpse who's decisions more often than not seemed like he was actually trying to put the team in a position to lose.  He also set a precedent that hustling was not important. 
  • Luis Robert recorded 2 RBI and 0 HR after July 14th - yes 2 friggin RBI - despite appearing in 25 games.  Missed 64 total games, but played 25 with 1 hand.  Robert basically missed the entire 2nd half of the season. 
  • Tim Anderson missed 83 games, although wasn't himself even after returning from the May groin injury.  
  • Yoan Moncada missed 58 games, and when he played, he posted a wRC+ of 76, a significant drop from 120 in 2021, and WELL below his career average of 108, which includes the awful 2022.
  • Eloy Jimenez missed 78 games.  While he did post a strong wRC+ when he played, he still missed half the season, although expecting Eloy to play more than 120 games is fools good.
  • Yasmani Grandal was -0.4 fWAR and 68 wRC+ player after posting 3.6 fWAR and 158 wRC+ in 2021.  Chances are Grandal didn't completely forget how to hit a baseball at 33 years old.  We now know he was dealing with significant injuries all season.  I don't have high hopes for Grandal finding the fountain of youth in 2023, but I think it'd be very difficult for him not to improve on his 2022 in a time share.  
  • The Sox spent the vast majority of the season playing two first basemen in the OF leaving them with easily the worst OF defense in the game.  This turned a 113 wRC+ effort from Andrew Vaughn into a negative fWAR player.  The days of Vaughn being anything more than an emergency OF are over.  
  • Lynn, Kopech and Giolito all missed starts, with Lynn and Kopech missing significant time.  Bummer missed significant time. 

Basically, nearly everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong in 2022.  Despite all of that going wrong, the Sox still were as close as 3 games back in mid September. I can understanding looking at this group and being discouraged.  We lost a franchise pillar in Jose Abreu, which sucks.  But in doing so improved the OF defense immensely which was, in my opinion, the biggest team need along with getting more left handed.  While we didn't get as left handed as I would have liked, adding Benintendi and Colas will balance the lineup a great deal, especially if Moncada and Yaz bounce back, even modestly.

This offseason sucked.  Jerry is the worst.  Hahn appears to be puzzled, and handcuffed.  The Clevinger thing is terrible. Lots of bad.  But this this squad still has a boatload of talent, and the division still isn't good.  The Twins have hardly improved on a team that finished 3 games behind the Sox.  The Guardians are the Guardians, and frankly were bad for most of the season before getting hot at the right time. I think all three of those clubs will finish above .500 and we'll have an entertaining 3 team race all season. 

I would be really shocked to see things go as poorly for The Sox in 23 and they did in 22.   I have this team winning 88 games, and I think 90+ is in the cards if their best players can stay healthy enough play 130+ games.  I, for one, cannot wait for April for some White Sox baseball.  I think this club will surprise, and I think Grifol will be the freshest of fresh air for the boys. 

My feelings exactly!!!!

• Haha 1