Nate Mondou? 2nd Baseman Lifetime Minor Leaguer.

AJ'S Cousin

7 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Nate Mondou is a lifetime minor leaguer just picked up by the Sox. College and Minor League numbers above average and if invited to Spring training should be allowed to compete with Sosa and Gonzalez. 

Charlotte is getting a bit crowded at middle infield. Presumably one of Romy/Sosa will be there, plus Mondou, Hanser Alberto, Erik Gonzalez, and Yolbert.

Popeye hopefully isn't that far away as well.

20 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Charlotte is getting a bit crowded at middle infield. Presumably one of Romy/Sosa will be there, plus Mondou, Hanser Alberto, Erik Gonzalez, and Yolbert.

Popeye hopefully isn't that far away as well.

As of right now I don’t see who takes Romy or Sosa’s spots on the big league roster? 4 man bench is “insert veteran replacement outfielder here”, Romy, Leury, and Zavala.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As of right now I don’t see who takes Romy or Sosa’s spots on the big league roster? 4 man bench is “insert veteran replacement outfielder here”, Romy, Leury, and Zavala.

It's possibly that both Romy and Sosa are on the big league roster, but I'd bet on Sheets making it over one of them.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

As of now, I will go with the Zavala, Leury, Marisnick and Alberto bench with the Romy getting the first crack at 2B, and Sosa starting in Charlotte. 

RF is either Sheets or Colas with the other in Charlotte.  If its Sheets, he goes down when Colas arrives. 

I also wouldn't be totally shocked to see a better 2B still added before Opening Day, Romy going to bench and Alberto to AAA.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

As of now, I will go with the Zavala, Leury, Marisnick and Alberto bench with the Romy getting the first crack at 2B, and Sosa starting in Charlotte. 

I also wouldn't be totally shocked to see a better 2B still added before Opening Day, Romy going to bench and Alberto to AAA.  

This is exactly what I am predicting (as of now).

2 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

We still suck at 2nd base no matter how much we avoid the conversation that Rick Hahn is a terrible GM and over the last 2 years has put the Sox at the bottom of Off Season Improvement and farm system rankings. 

Yes, all everyone on this site has done all offseason is avoid that conversation.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

RF is either Sheets or Colas with the other in Charlotte.  If its Sheets, he goes down when Colas arrives. 

I don't see the point of Alberto as a backup infielder with Romy as the starter. Both guys are terrible hitting RHP - Romy had a .508 OPS against RHP last year, Alberto .511. The Dodgers in fact hid Alberto from RHP last year - he had twice as many ABs against LHP than RHP. Leury can probably do better than a .511 OPS against RHP, and Leury also has historically been better hitting off lefties. If they have a backup infielder on the roster other than Leury, it needs to be someone who can hit righties.

Yes I realize Romy is still young and can improve, but then what would be the point of Alberto? The same would go if Sosa beats out Romy at 2B.

I definitely think Sheets would make the team over Alberto, even if he's limited to backup 1B/DH.

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't see the point of Alberto as a backup infielder with Romy as the starter. Both guys are terrible hitting RHP - Romy had a .508 OPS against RHP last year, Alberto .511. The Dodgers in fact hid Alberto from RHP last year - he had twice as many ABs against LHP than RHP. Leury can probably do better than a .511 OPS against RHP, and Leury also has historically been better hitting off lefties. If they have a backup infielder on the roster other than Leury, it needs to be someone who can hit righties.

Yes I realize Romy is still young and can improve, but then what would be the point of Alberto? The same would go if Sosa beats out Romy at 2B.

I definitely think Sheets would make the team over Alberto, even if he's limited to backup 1B/DH.

He wasn't really a starter. I think he was just a platoon for the Dodgers, as they do that with a lot of spots in their lineups (moving guys around, playing guys against specific handedness, etc). I tend to agree though, he seems pointless unless he was a left-handed hitter who hit better against righties. But he does provide more versatility over Sheets/Burger.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He wasn't really a starter. I think he was just a platoon for the Dodgers, as they do that with a lot of spots in their lineups (moving guys around, playing guys against specific handedness, etc). I tend to agree though, he seems pointless unless he was a left-handed hitter who hit better against righties. But he does provide more versatility over Sheets/Burger.

Yes, the fact that he was a platoon guy for the Dodgers was my point. And since the other 2B options are all the same handedness, he doesn't fit as a platoon option. Mondou is left-handed with decent minor league numbers, he would make more sense as the backup 2B, but I have no idea if he can hit MLB pitching.

Sheets at the very least would back up Vaughn at 1B - unless you want that role to fall completely to Grandal? Sheets's .785 career OPS against RHP is a lot better than .691 from Vaughn. I'm not advocating for a straight platoon at 1B (Vaughn needs to play and take the next step), but Sheets could take some of those at bats to give Vaughn a day off while gaining a platoon advantage.

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Yes, the fact that he was a platoon guy for the Dodgers was my point. And since the other 2B options are all the same handedness, he doesn't fit as a platoon option. Mondou is left-handed with decent minor league numbers, he would make more sense as the backup 2B, but I have no idea if he can hit MLB pitching.

Sheets at the very least would back up Vaughn at 1B - unless you want that role to fall completely to Grandal? Sheets's .785 career OPS against RHP is a lot better than .691 from Vaughn. I'm not advocating for a straight platoon at 1B (Vaughn needs to play and take the next step), but Sheets could take some of those at bats to give Vaughn a day off while gaining a platoon advantage.

Yeah, too bad Mondou didn't get more of a look in the MLB last year other than his one game sample size.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Perhaps.  In the scenario where Colas breaks camp with the big club, I feel like the Sox would rather get Sheets at bats then let him rot on the bench.  I mean - if everyone is healthy - which is always a giant if - where's he gonna play?  Not 1B over AV.  Not RF over Colas.  Not LF over Beintenidi.  Not DH over Eloy.  Sheets is going to be very needed at some point in the season, and I feel they'd rather keep his bat ready for when that time arrives than giving him a handful of PA a week.  But definitely see the concern about the Alberto's skill set not meshing with with either Romy or Sosa.  But like....that's what we got.  It would have made a ton of sense to bring in a left handed vet 2B, even one on an milb deal.  Alas...

I think you need to have another option on the MLB roster to play 2B besides Romy or Leury, or we're going to end up with a lot of Leury.  And putting both Sosa and Romy on the roster doesn't make a ton of sense, IMO. I think the Sox still add another guy before OD that ends up filling that role. 

I agree there aren't a lot of at bats to go around for Sheets, but at the same time I just don't think Alberto/Erik Gonzalez/etc. add anything as a backup infielder. All of them would likely be behind Leury in terms of guys I'd like to see in the lineup, and I don't want to see Leury in the lineup very often.

I think Sheets would get 2 starts per week at 1B - Vaughn really hasn't proven yet that he needs to start every day - and 1 at DH while Eloy either takes a game off or plays the OF. Granted that Sheets at DH with Eloy in the OF would require sitting either Benintendi or Colas against RHP, since Sheets is worthless against LHP, so it's not an ideal arrangement. Sheets would also be the only power threat off the bench on days where he doesn't start.

Agreed that this could all be solved if the Sox acquired someone who was worthy of that roster spot and had a useful role on the team (like a LH vet 2B), but this is where we are heading into February.

Edited by ChiSoxTrojan

It's actually impressive that we found a way to get worse at 2b over this offseason. The bar was low, and hahn said hold my beer. brett lawrie and gordon beckham in their current state/age would have a shot at winning this spot in spring training. 

6 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

We still suck at 2nd base no matter how much we avoid the conversation that Rick Hahn is a terrible GM and over the last 2 years has put the Sox at the bottom of Off Season Improvement and farm system rankings. 

I must have missed all the posts singing Hahn's praises all offseason.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

But Burger can play 3B, 2B and 1B!!!

(Just not all that well.)