Benetti speaks...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again. It's never happened. 

Problem is you're thinking like a die hard white sox fan and not like a CEO trying to elevate brand awareness. 

Also, why would Reinsdorf care if they called it at Comiskey Park. It was comiskey the first 10 years of his ownership. He sold the rights to the name to make more money. Other teams were doing it. If someone wanted to pay him more, why would he say no? 

GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium ring a bell?

• Thanks 1

“You’d go in the locker room and all the Latino guys would be in one place, the whites in another and the African-Americans someplace else.I had heard that groups were apart and not close but part of that could be human nature, language divisions for example.The Sox locker room is a big square so guys aren’t close to start with, the Cubs locker room is circular. I don’t know if that was by design or what but that lends itself to guys getting together.”

========

Of course players that come from other countries and speak a different language tend to congregate.  Not sure why it was necessary to add "Whites in another and African Americans someplace else " to that or the ridiculous suggestion that the shape of the Cub locker room has somehow helped to ease  ethnic and racial differences among players on the North side.  Bennetti actually said this?  That's some real bulshit.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tray said:

“You’d go in the locker room and all the Latino guys would be in one place, the whites in another and the African-Americans someplace else.I had heard that groups were apart and not close but part of that could be human nature, language divisions for example.The Sox locker room is a big square so guys aren’t close to start with, the Cubs locker room is circular. I don’t know if that was by design or what but that lends itself to guys getting together.”

========

Of course players that come from other countries and speak a different language tend to congregate.  Not sure why it was necessary to add "Whites in another and African Americans someplace else " to that or the ridiculous suggestion that the shape of the Cub locker room has somehow helped to ease  ethnic and racial differences among players on the North side.  Bennetti actually said this?  That's some real bulshit.

It’s must have been more than just “guys who speak language congregating.”

15 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

My mistake he’s executive vice president. Can’t imagine why he might want to put Comiskey back in the name but I’m no CEO

That would be a great career move. Use many many millions of company money to slap his personal name on something for his own vanity.

3 hours ago, tray said:

========

Try reading that again, Jerry. Those aren't comments from Benetti.

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Normally I’d say don’t trust anything from barstool sports, but that is 1000% correct. Wintrust offered money for the naming rights and wanted to resurrect the comiskey name. 

BUT, that money would go to ISFA and not the Sox. 

Wintrust did  make a separate sponsorship offer that was also more than GR’s offer. That would have made them the full banking partner of the Sox. Where GR would just the the loan sponsor. 

both offers were rejected by the Sox in favor of GR, where brooks voter’s brother in law was an executive. 

45 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

Normally I’d say don’t trust anything from barstool sports, but that is 1000% correct. Wintrust offered money for the naming rights and wanted to resurrect the comiskey name. 

BUT, that money would go to ISFA and not the Sox. 

Wintrust did  make a separate sponsorship offer that was also more than GR’s offer. That would have made them the full banking partner of the Sox. Where GR would just the the loan sponsor. 

both offers were rejected by the Sox in favor of GR, where brooks voter’s brother in law was an executive. 

Boyer?

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Wait, so we're saying that the Sox received less income for naming rights in order to help Brooks Boyer's brother?

That's fucked up. If that's true, this team is not worth fan support.

I can only tell you that is what I was hearing from sources in my "State of the Sox" story. It was from individuals who would know about such things.

I found it hard to believe but I trust the people I spoke with.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 5:20 PM, caulfield12 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/kc-chiefs-geha-field-at-arrowhead-stadium-is-a-monument-to-cynicism

TIAA Bank in Jacksonville also pretty lousy but that’s not a government entity/non profit like GEHA.

It would be similar to US armed forces branches sponsoring NASCAR.

Jags could be in Chicago by 2027. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I can only tell you that is what I was hearing from sources in my "State of the Sox" story. It was from individuals who would know about such things.

I found it hard to believe but I trust the people I spoke with.

Thanks, Lip.

Saved me the mlb.tv fee this year.

It is a noble and wothwhile thing you do, I always say.

22 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Wait, so we're saying that the Sox received less income for naming rights in order to help Brooks Boyer's brother?

That's fucked up. If that's true, this team is not worth fan support.

I don’t know what the $ was, but yes. The Sox deal with GR is less than what wintrust offered. 

again, the actual naming rights money doesn’t go to the Sox. It pays for the 2003-2008 renovations that gave us the name US Cellular Field. That original deal would have ended in 2026, but the Sox and ISFA agreed to a three year extension(with another non guaranteed year in 2030), to make the moving parts work. The payments go toward the bonds issued in 2003. 

the deal that the Sox care about is sponsorship above that naming rights deal. And brooks hooked his brother in law’s employer up. 

7 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

I don’t know what the $ was, but yes. The Sox deal with GR is less than what wintrust offered. 

again, the actual naming rights money doesn’t go to the Sox. It pays for the 2003-2008 renovations that gave us the name US Cellular Field. That original deal would have ended in 2026, but the Sox and ISFA agreed to a three year extension(with another non guaranteed year in 2030), to make the moving parts work. The payments go toward the bonds issued in 2003. 

the deal that the Sox care about is sponsorship above that naming rights deal. And brooks hooked his brother in law’s employer up. 

I guess what I really want to know is did the Sox leave $$$ on the table that could have gone to player payroll in order to take care of Brooks Boyer's brother-in-law?

Jason is akin to Cease or any other talented pitcher the Sox have ever really employed. A rising star under control. The Sox will not retain when they have to pay market value. If I was Jason I wouldn't stick around either. He has an opportunity to become the voice of many big, big games across many, many sports. It is what it is, but he's as good as gone, and even if we were a top notch organization he'd be gone eventually still. 

I've said it way too many times, but I do believe the Sox need to go to a 3 man booth, especially with the handwriting on the wall ... you have two years. Might as well start getting AJ in the booth or the likes. If there's any chance of retaining Jason it's going to be on a modified schedule ... aka NFL ends by February. College bball is over right into MLB season. College football doesn't begin until September. So you get him for a pretty nice chunk, but maybe only like 80-100 games a year. It's important to start normalizing another guy in the booth so that when Jason is out, we have a guy we can work right in. 

Beckham has greatly improved... a ton ... starting to get much more comfortable. But he's still not it. Maybe one day. I would love an Ozzie or AJ.