Grifol on instituting new team culture, Robert tutoring Colas in FL

caulfield12

8 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

In Lip’s State of the Sox article, there is a quote about the medical guy the Sox hired having been fired by the Red Sox for giving players toradol, which is an anti inflammatory used for pain. The primary side effect is dizziness.

here’s the quote: 

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance

Toradol is a short acting drug, so if it were used an injection would be made an hour or two before game time. It was obvious Robert was playing with pain, so putting two and two together it’s not a stretch that his dizziness may have been the result of “treatment” from Sox medical staff.

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
Linky no stinky

52 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah this article and all the quotes in it could have been written by chapgpt or whatever, it essentially says nothing, BUT

I think I’m ready to transition, mentally, from feeling like s%*# about how poorly the front office has handled the offseason to just rooting for the players on the field. So that feels alright. 

I asked it to write a 2023 White Sox puff piece and, well...Merk is safe.

2023 White Sox: Puff Piece

The 2023 Chicago White Sox are a force to be reckoned with! With a dynamic roster filled with talented players, this team is poised to make a serious run at the championship. From their powerful lineup to their dominant pitching staff, the White Sox have all the pieces in place to make this season one to remember.

Led by the veteran leadership of manager Tony La Russa, the White Sox have the experience and know-how to make it to the top. La Russa has a proven track record of success, and his presence on the bench gives the team a boost in confidence and discipline.

On the field, the White Sox are loaded with star players who are capable of carrying the team to victory. Tim Anderson, Yoan Moncada, and Eloy Jimenez headline a lineup that is feared by opposing pitchers. Meanwhile, the pitching staff is anchored by Lucas Giolito, who has become one of the best hurlers in the game.

With a deep bench and a talented roster, the White Sox are a team that should not be taken lightly. They have the ability to dominate opponents on both sides of the ball, and their aggressive style of play is sure to make them a fan favorite.

In short, the 2023 Chicago White Sox are a team to watch this season. With a winning combination of experience, talent, and drive, they are a serious contender for the championship and will provide fans with plenty of excitement and drama throughout the year. Get ready, baseball fans! The White Sox are coming!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Largely the same roster, minus Abreu, Rodon, and Hendriks...

Plus a Cy Young level Dylan Cease (Cease had a 6.36 FIP in 2020, he wasn't good), two solid left handed bats that have been sorely needed for yearss, and most likely a much much much improved Andrew Vaughn from the 2020 version.  

I also wouldn't quite write off Hendriks for the season just yet.  

edit: brain fart.  Obviously two years ago was 2021, not 2020.  So disregard the cease comment.  But yeah...I hear ya.  I probably won't convince you to be more optimistic on the season, so lets just sit back and strap it down and see how she shakes out.  I do hope you get to enjoy the season, tho! 

Edited by ChiSox59

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Plus a Cy Young level Dylan Cease (Cease had a 6.36 FIP in 2020, he wasn't good), two solid left handed bats that have been sorely needed for yearss, and most likely a much much much improved Andrew Vaughn from the 2020 version.  

I also wouldn't quite write off Hendriks for the season just yet.  

Cease is about the only sure thing in that rotation.  They are still worse on paper than 2021, with plenty of question marks and holes remaining.  That 2021 hot first half feels much more like the outlier than any real indicator of what to expect entering 2023.  If, *if* everything breaks right, sure, they could win 90.  But that's a lot of If's.  Too many to put any real expectations on for me.

Edited by Tnetennba

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Colas can play defense, Sheets can't. 

And you know this how? He has a good arm,  doesn't mean he's going to be a gazelle out there. He's got bad sprint speed and isn't an option for CF in a pinch ... so it's not like he's early day Engel out there. 

6 minutes ago, he gone. said:

And you know this how? He has a good arm,  doesn't mean he's going to be a gazelle out there. He's got bad sprint speed and isn't an option for CF in a pinch ... so it's not like he's early day Engel out there. 

Actually if you read scouting reports, Colas is able to play CF. Nobody thought that until he started playing. Is he Engel? No, but he has a rocket arm and is a capable defender in RF and CF. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sheets can't is a perfect description for most of Gavin Sheets skills.

I don't get all the Sheets hate. He slumped badly to start last year, but other than that he's been a solid LH bat on a team that couldn't hit RHP. Obviously he should stay far away from LHP, and ideally shouldn't set foot in the OF, but from a strictly offensive perspective the Sox could do a lot worse.

Compare him to Vaughn, who gets a lot of leeway from people saying that his offense has suffered because the Sox have asked him to do too much defensively in the OF. Why does that same logic not apply to Sheets, who was in the exact same situation? The two have comparable overall numbers (Sheets has been better against RHP, Vaughn better against LHP) so I don't understand why Sheets is apparently worthless while Vaughn is the 1B of the future.

I am counting on Colas for big things because the other guys are a bunch of panty-washers. I think Colas has more drive and will leave them behind. When you think Soxcess think Colas. Goodbye Rick goodbye Tony.

i complained a bunch about larussa so i won't throw shade at articles about improved culture. i think that area is one where larussa was most detrimental, and i don't doubt that grifol will have a better and more accountable clubhouse. with that said, i also doubt it has a significant effect on the win-loss record. management's poor personnel and roster management decisions probably keeps this team's results pretty similar or worse than last year.

52 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I don't get all the Sheets hate. He slumped badly to start last year, but other than that he's been a solid LH bat on a team that couldn't hit RHP. Obviously he should stay far away from LHP, and ideally shouldn't set foot in the OF, but from a strictly offensive perspective the Sox could do a lot worse.

Compare him to Vaughn, who gets a lot of leeway from people saying that his offense has suffered because the Sox have asked him to do too much defensively in the OF. Why does that same logic not apply to Sheets, who was in the exact same situation? The two have comparable overall numbers (Sheets has been better against RHP, Vaughn better against LHP) so I don't understand why Sheets is apparently worthless while Vaughn is the 1B of the future.

He's a DH/1B only on a team with Eloy and Vaughn already in those positions. You also have Colas and Benintendi as left-handed hitters in RF/LF, where Sheets could technically "play". There just isn't a position for him on this team. I'm guessing he'll be a backup outfielder or in AAA most of the year, unless he gets super hot and the Sox can trade him for something (doubtful).

54 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

They really aren't that comparable.  Vaughn's numbers are markedly better offensively, and he still has significant ceiling left to get at.  Vaughn is also a guy who is going to be able to finally play his natural position, while Sheets is still without a position.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Actually if you read scouting reports, Colas is able to play CF. Nobody thought that until he started playing. Is he Engel? No, but he has a rocket arm and is a capable defender in RF and CF. 

I looked at some of the basic minor league level stats and they suggested that Colas was pretty bad out in CF when given the chance out there. He wasn't a guy with big range in RF either, so I would genuinely be surprised if we were awed by his range in RF or if we thought he could transition to CF, but that's not talking about his arm - which is particularly important in RF and could offset a lot even if his range in the corner wasn't good. 

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Keep in mind that Vaughn skipped AA and AAA.  So the last two seasons were like his AA and AAA seasons, except he had to face major league pitching. His ceiling is much higher.

• Like 1

After fifty years of off season optimism I'm in the "I'll get excited when I see something on the field to get excited about" club. I do wish I had the old enthusiasm but I've been fooled to often but JR and Co. They've worn me down. 

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It would awesome to have a star on our hands for once right away.

Colas is who I am looking forward to watching most. Yes he has flaws but very quick bat who has an idea of how to hit against LH and RH pitching. Probably would have put up Robert type numbers in AAA without the stolen bases.

Last year really couldn't have gone any better for him considering how rusty and he must've been. He got better as the season went on. MLB pitching will be a challenge but I have no doubts that he will be a quality player offensively and defensively soon.

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Keep in mind that Vaughn skipped AA and AAA.  So the last two seasons were like his AA and AAA seasons, except he had to face major league pitching. His ceiling is much higher.

I agree that Vaughn has a higher ceiling. But that doesn't mean that Sheets has been worthless, which is what was implied by previous comments (in this thread and others). The comparison to Vaughn is just to show that, over their first two years, they've had similar offensive production - in fact Sheets has the slight edge according to OPS+ (105 vs. 102) and wRC+ (107 vs. 104).

As for where he'll play, in a world where all the outfielders are healthy and Colas is productive out of the gate, Sheets can still get plenty of starts at 1B and DH against RHP. Injuries of course could force him into the OF again.

10 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah this article and all the quotes in it could have been written by chapgpt or whatever, it essentially says nothing, BUT

I think I’m ready to transition, mentally, from feeling like s%*# about how poorly the front office has handled the offseason to just rooting for the players on the field. So that feels alright. 

I've been here for awhile and the players kind of ruined that feeling last year for me. Kinda lost when you hate the ownership, front office, AND the players. Normally I'm all about the players because they are trying their best but last year I did not see effort worth rooting for. 

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I wonder how Clevinger will contribute to this new and improved culture.

Good question. Baseball culture is probably different than regular culture. I guess Clevinger has mixed results as a teammate. But your comment is well aimed at management for carelessly shooting Pedro in the foot if  improving culture was going to be Pedro’s rollout.