2023 Video Game Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

Is anyone out there playing the new Hogwarts Legacy game? Holy crap this game is incredibly fun. I usually only play about 2-3 hours of video games a week, at the most. So far I have played 3-4 hours of this game EACH NIGHT since the the Early Access started. It's the most engrossing game I've ever played, plus it's an extra bonus that my wife is a huge Harry Potter fan and not only plays it herself but also watches me play and points out things that were in the books that I never knew about because I only saw the movies. I was very very excited for this game and yet it somehow surpassed my expectations.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Been playing a lot of NieR: Automata and picked up the Metroid Prime remastered game.  Should keep me busy until Zelda Tears of a kingdom is released 

How you think Tears of the Kingdom looks?  Nintendo continues to hide so much it’s hard to get a sense of what the game is really about.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How you think Tears of the Kingdom looks?  Nintendo continues to hide so much it’s hard to get a sense of what the game is really about.

I mean I absolutely loved Breath of the wild, and still watch some of the videos of the crazy stuff people do in that game (watching guys use the freeze time function to power up a rock and jump on it to ride across the map is hilarious), I’m really looking forward to what appears to be them leaning into the crafting part of that game.  That gear he lifts out of the pond in the trailer is in every device he is shown riding, so it seems like you can build vehicles now, which I’m sure will result in some unique designs.

i really like that they are returning to the Skyward Sword floating map, im looking forward to whatever that entails.  Holding out hope that they are hiding the giant birds that you can ride in Skyward Sword as an option 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 9:04 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I mean I absolutely loved Breath of the wild, and still watch some of the videos of the crazy stuff people do in that game (watching guys use the freeze time function to power up a rock and jump on it to ride across the map is hilarious), I’m really looking forward to what appears to be them leaning into the crafting part of that game.  That gear he lifts out of the pond in the trailer is in every device he is shown riding, so it seems like you can build vehicles now, which I’m sure will result in some unique designs.

i really like that they are returning to the Skyward Sword floating map, im looking forward to whatever that entails.  Holding out hope that they are hiding the giant birds that you can ride in Skyward Sword as an option 

Hopefully they ditch the breakable weapon system. It sucked using a weapon you really liked and then the game is just like "Sorry, its broken and gone now"

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Hopefully they ditch the breakable weapon system. It sucked using a weapon you really liked and then the game is just like "Sorry, its broken and gone now"

It’s weird because people love it or hate it.  I have a feeling it’s gonna stay but they are gonna lean hard into crafting in this game and you will be able to supe up your weapon.  From the trailer I saw it looks like building things is a big part 

also just want to saw the Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster is fucking awesome.   And I will probably end up playing Hogwarts Legacy when the price drops

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s weird because people love it or hate it.  I have a feeling it’s gonna stay but they are gonna lean hard into crafting in this game and you will be able to supe up your weapon.  From the trailer I saw it looks like building things is a big part 

also just want to saw the Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster is fucking awesome.   And I will probably end up playing Hogwarts Legacy when the price drops

Yeah I guess if I can just craft what I want to use that's fine, but I do miss the old school way of going into a dungeon and getting a new weapon to use to do new things through the rest of the game. Same with armor/tunics. I guess its cool I can just go buy it if I want it but doing a puzzle or dungeon to get the item was always fun.

Just now, T R U said:

Yeah I guess if I can just craft what I want to use that's fine, but I do miss the old school way of going into a dungeon and getting a new weapon to use to do new things through the rest of the game. Same with armor/tunics. I guess its cool I can just go buy it if I want it but doing a puzzle or dungeon to get the item was always fun.

Yea, I guess I shouldn’t assume anything in this game even though it is a direct sequel.  They love to flip the script in these games

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just finished the Dead Space remake. As someone who didn't play the original, it was a ton of fun and right up my alley of horror games.

I have read mixed reviews of it.  I’m sure I will get there eventually

If a game like upcoming suicide squad was released at the beginning like an ultimate edition with an inflated price tag like 80-90 bucks but DLC is automatic, would you be willing to pay that or would you not trust the developers to come through

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2023 at 5:25 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Been playing a lot of NieR: Automata and picked up the Metroid Prime remastered game.  Should keep me busy until Zelda Tears of a kingdom is released 

On 2/12/2023 at 7:57 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Either of you play it yet? I’m liking it, but not as much as I was hoping. It’s still too early in the game to say because I’m probably only around 1% through it, but I’m wondering if I built it up too much waiting all those years for it to come out.

8 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Either of you play it yet? I’m liking it, but not as much as I was hoping. It’s still too early in the game to say because I’m probably only around 1% through it, but I’m wondering if I built it up too much waiting all those years for it to come out.

It’s so freaking huge.  My son is way ahead of me so I know some of what’s coming, and I can tell you I am super excited to get where he is.  Some of the later boss fights are crazy and using your new powers to get s%*# done is so fun

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s so freaking huge.  My son is way ahead of me so I know some of what’s coming, and I can tell you I am super excited to get where he is.  Some of the later boss fights are crazy and using your new powers to get s%*# done is so fun

Yeah, I’m having a hell of a time figuring out when to use the new powers (especially the climb one). I’ll screw around trying to figure out how to get something done, then realize how simple it is. I’m just not used to the powers yet. Like I literally just forget that I have them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One thing I'm hoping gets integrated into video games is the use of an LLM like chat gpt into the dialogue of sports games like madden.

The nfl draft could be so much more fun, with starting conversations with other GMs and getting real dialogue from your scouts.

I actually had it do this when it came out, gave it some fake players. It generated scouting reports, prioritized them based on team needs, and then created some trade offers and talked thru them with me. Was a lot of fun.

And then, you know, Madden is out again, and it's just the same canned 5 dialogue points, and it's so boring compared to what could be there. Would likely need an additional cost, but considering franchise is the main thing i'd play for, it would be way more fun.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Don’t worry, you got some things to find 

A few months later and I’ve completed a little over 90% of the game. Pretty much just trying to max out all the armor sets. It’s freaking impossible to get the number of fire and electric lizalfos tails needed haha. Those are pretty much the only things preventing me from maxing out. I keep trying though.

And I know the payoff to getting all the korok seeds is a joke, but it would still be nice to do it. It’s the one thing I didn’t accomplish in BOTW. I’ve been everywhere on the map, and I’m still just short of 800 seeds of a total of 1,000. You basically have to use online guides or wear the korok mask while retracing the entire map a second time to find them all. It’s never happening.

Edited by Milkman delivers