2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Pitchers and Catchers report in a few days. Has the broadcast schedule been announced yet? We are 2 weeks away from their first game and it seems most teams have announced their broadcast schedules by now. 🤷

No broadcast schedule. I looked yesterday morning actually and was going to post on here about it but then didn’t have enough energy in me to get pissed off enough yet about them. Just another big FU to the fans. The Reinsdorfs have to be doing things like this in spite of the fans

Edited by Vote4Pedro

1 hour ago, Vote4Pedro said:

No broadcast schedule. I looked yesterday morning actually and was going to post on here about it but then didn’t have enough energy in me to get pissed off enough yet about them. Just another big FU to the fans. The Reinsdorfs have to be doing things like this in spite of the fans

It ain't right.

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

And they’ve trusted the same cronies to run the business for far too long, and those individuals are awful.

Not ever thrilled by ownership but It's time to get behind the players and just root for good outcomes. I saw a video of Crochet on his insta after with him looking like he was throwing hard already . There was no caption but it was posted a few days ago. No idea if he's actually throwing like that right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoftMXWSHWr/

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not ever thrilled by ownership but It's time to get behind the players and just root for good outcomes.

Problem is the crap owner did not fire the GM which led to him essentially trotting out the same unlikeable group of players from 2022, so it’s very difficult to shake 2022 and find any reason to back this group as is. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Problem is the crap owner did not fire the GM which led to him essentially trotting out the same unlikeable group of players from 2022, so it’s very difficult to shake 2022 and find any reason to back this group as is. 

The last thing JR was going to do is give the new manager more to play with than he did LaRussa. I'm sure JR wants to win, but I don't think he would be too sad if they were mediocre again, and he can, at least in his own mind, take any of the blame for the team getting mired in mediocrity again, away from Tony.

• Like 3

There was more excitement about the 2018 sox than this team. 

To be the contrarian, this could be a good thing. Our expectations are so low with the exact same roster that our expectations were so high with last year (obviously sans Abreu). 

As much as Jerry and offseason leave a terrible taste in my mouth, i suspect many of us will be hook line and sinker by late May in a good way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I turn 68 in August, have been a fan around the time I was five so this marks my 63rd season.

I can't recall the last time I was so unenthusiastic about a season.

"World Series contender..." LOL

Thanks JR, Kenny and Rick, the Three Stooges of baseball.

The Sox hope to have a good season, hope is not a recipe for consistent success. It's baseball...anything can happen so maybe the baseball gods will smile on this tortured fan base.

13 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

They will be much more likable when they play better. I can't b**** all the time . I'm still a Sox fan so I'll do what fans do when they aren't bitching and that's root for them.

I'll root for Colas to be ROY . I'll root for Benintendi to do well. I'll root for all of them to be uninjured and have career years and bring some excitement to the fans who will be more than happy to jump back on the bandwagon if they start winning in spite of management ,who are disguising their apathy for belief in the players rising to the occasion under Grifol's guidance.

"Pitchers And Catchers Report" will always be the best four words in the English language, and nobody can take that away from me.

I'm just going to hope that this group performs the way the 2022 team was supposed to, which would not be all that crazy.  I'm also going to take solace in the fact that the small number of fun seasons the Sox have given us in the last 20 years have mostly come on the heels of offseasons that left the fanbase angry or nonplussed about the coming season's prospects.  (It's those hype years that kill us.)  Go Sox!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

"Pitchers And Catchers Report" will always be the best four words in the English language, and nobody can take that away from me.

I'm just going to hope that this group performs the way the 2022 team was supposed to, which would not be all that crazy.  I'm also going to take solace in the fact that the small number of fun seasons the Sox have given us in the last 20 years have mostly come on the heels of offseasons that left the fanbase angry or nonplussed about the coming season's prospects.  (It's those hype years that kill us.)  Go Sox!

I concur.  Even bad baseball is better than no baseball.  As for this team, my expectations are low enough that they shouldn’t disappoint me too much.  There’s plenty other baseball to watch if they suck ass again and I won’t waste much energy if they do. 

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They will be much more likable when they play better. I can't b**** all the time . I'm still a Sox fan so I'll do what fans do when they aren't bitching and that's root for them.

I'll root for Colas to be ROY . I'll root for Benintendi to do well. I'll root for all of them to be uninjured and have career years and bring some excitement to the fans who will be more than happy to jump back on the bandwagon if they start winning in spite of management ,who are disguising their apathy for belief in the players rising to the occasion under Grifol's guidance.

I’m still going to root for the things you mentioned above but at the same time there have been far worse Sox teams that have been more like able than this group. Attitude and effort can go far in my opinion. Half of last year there was too many people that looked disinterested being on the field. Of course they will be more likeable if they play well. 

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I turn 68 in August, have been a fan around the time I was five so this marks my 63rd season.

I can't recall the last time I was so unenthusiastic about a season.

"World Series contender..." LOL

Thanks JR, Kenny and Rick, the Three Stooges of baseball.

The Sox hope to have a good season, hope is not a recipe for consistent success. It's baseball...anything can happen so maybe the baseball gods will smile on this tortured fan base.

A year ago it would have been close to unfathomable that the face of the franchise, MLB The Show, Field of Dreams game walk off hero and the face of the sport for young African - Americans would be getting traded away.

Edited by caulfield12

It’s weird for me.  I can already tell this will be year 2 for me not watching many games.  Even if we signed DeGrom and Judge I’d probably still just check box scores, highlights and quick swoop Soxtalk every day.  

I don’t know if I’ve just reached a stage or an age of life that’s finally changed something.   My interest is the same I think but the time devotion is completely gone.  

Is it all just Tony?  Anybody else?  

On 2/12/2023 at 4:44 PM, joejoesox said:

how does Rick Hahn still have a job

Like every other worker in our economy. By doing what the person paying him believes is worthy of the pay check. Personifying all that is wrong with the team may be in his job description.