2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Cold start to spring training. Most of the west coast is running 10-20 below average highs. Christ. Hopefully none of our guys pull a hammy, we're an injury prone club already.

Here is southeast Idaho we are smack in the middle of a major snowstorm. 

14 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Trying to get excited for baseball but man it’s tough….I will be down in AZ March 9th-13th. What we some places to go visit down there besides going to the games?

Where are you staying? Lots of good food....if near Tempe and depending on your age, there's always Mill Avenue.

When I went to Camelback, by far the coolest part was showing up mid morning and walking the backfields. Doesn't cost a thing and you get REALLY up close to guys practicing - from no name minor leaguers to major league starters. You can just sort of wander around. It's very cool. Can get great pictures, and there's opportunities for autographs if you're into that. I'd also check out other spring training setups. I went to an A's game as well since the Sox weren't in Glendale one day and I was able to get free tickets. Check out the Cactus League schedule. 

The Sox host the Colombian WBC team on March 9 and the Padres March 12, at the Cubs and Padres the other two days. There's also the occasional night game where you could catch one game or walk the back fields in the morning, and then check out a 6 PM start at another complex. Really depends how much you want to nerd out on baseball.

Spring Training is really neat if you haven't done it before and if you have a kid, you'll never get a chance with them to get closer and maybe grab a BP homer on the back fields or something. I did it six years ago with my dad about a month before he died, and it was very worth it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

Where are you staying? Lots of good food....if near Tempe and depending on your age, there's always Mill Avenue.

When I went to Camelback, by far the coolest part was showing up mid morning and walking the backfields. Doesn't cost a thing and you get REALLY up close to guys practicing - from no name minor leaguers to major league starters. You can just sort of wander around. It's very cool. Can get great pictures, and there's opportunities for autographs if you're into that. I'd also check out other spring training setups. I went to an A's game as well since the Sox weren't in Glendale one day and I was able to get free tickets. Check out the Cactus League schedule. 

The Sox host the Colombian WBC team on March 9 and the Padres March 12, at the Cubs and Padres the other two days. There's also the occasional night game where you could catch one game or walk the back fields in the morning, and then check out a 6 PM start at another complex. Really depends how much you want to nerd out on baseball.

Spring Training is really neat if you haven't done it before and if you have a kid, you'll never get a chance with them to get closer and maybe grab a BP homer on the back fields or something. I did it six years ago with my dad about a month before he died, and it was very worth it. 

Staying in Tempe. Hmm never thought about walking the back fields. Appreciate the tips.

15 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Cold start to spring training. Most of the west coast is running 10-20 below average highs. Christ. Hopefully none of our guys pull a hammy, we're an injury prone club already.

Eloy will probably tear his tit the first time he plays the outfield.

Peddler bar in Tempe is a nice chill beer spot. Tempe in general is nice, good mix of crowds and ages although last time I was there I could still claim early 30s. Not so much 4 years later. 

I would try and hit up talking stick field it's like a mini Camden yards.  Some of the drink and food packages are enticing around the venues but personally I always just bought general area seats and bought concessions. At camel back the ushers are very relaxed buy lawn tix and move around as you like. This year with the WBC most regulars will play more the first week of games so keep that in mind if you are trying to see Eloy or other guys with national team schedules.

Baseball is the only sport that I still truly love . hockey was everything in the 60's, football in the 80's, Basketball in the 90's . almost against my will, and something that I never thought would happen, they just kind of faded away for me, and I lost interest.

The best thing about being so forgetful = i can re-read most of my favorite books, and it's all new to me . the 2022 White Sox season is lost in a blue haze, so it's a total restart for me . I just glad that baseball is back.

The first time I ever laid on eyes on Luis Robert was when he was batting in a cage right next to the walkway leading to the gate at Camelback, like five feet in front of me. I wasn’t sure it was even him at first because I couldn’t believe he would be practicing right there so close.

I like going when they play the dodgers. It’s the only time you’ll see the Sox with a packed crowd at Camelback, and the dodger fans are among the better fans in the cactus league imo

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

The first time I ever laid on eyes on Luis Robert was when he was batting in a cage right next to the walkway leading to the gate at Camelback, like five feet in front of me. I wasn’t sure it was even him at first because I couldn’t believe he would be practicing right there so close.

I like going when they play the dodgers. It’s the only time you’ll see the Sox with a packed crowd at Camelback, and the dodger fans are among the better fans in the cactus league imo

For sure. Dodgers fans are fun. They will come in numbers and will have some colorful signs and outfits. Camelback as a stadium is fine, it's been surpassed by others, but parking is super convenient there which makes up for it being in the middle of nowhere.

You will def want to rent a car, otherwise ride shares fees will add up.