2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Crochet at 75% of his normal self is still a very useful middle reliever.  

Not without command. Look at Rodon after TJ. Look at Britton. Look at just about everyone except Verlander, although Verlander had a lot longer recovery time when he took the mound. A year out, most of these guys kind of suck. Some continue to suck, but many get a lot better with more time.

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

For sure. Dodgers fans are fun. They will come in numbers and will have some colorful signs and outfits. Camelback as a stadium is fine, it's been surpassed by others, but parking is super convenient there which makes up for it being in the middle of nowhere.

You will def want to rent a car, otherwise ride shares fees will add up.

And it's just as enjoyable to wander up to the Dodgers fields.

The first time I went, I was checking Twitter that morning and one of the beat writers said that Sale was scheduled to throw on a back field that day. Was able to wander up and literally sit behind a chain link backstop and watch him pump fastballs and sliders. It's pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

I turn 68 in August, have been a fan around the time I was five so this marks my 63rd season.

I can't recall the last time I was so unenthusiastic about a season.

"World Series contender..." LOL

Thanks JR, Kenny and Rick, the Three Stooges of baseball.

The Sox hope to have a good season, hope is not a recipe for consistent success. It's baseball...anything can happen so maybe the baseball gods will smile on this tortured fan base.

To be fair, you've never been enthusiastic about anything related to the White Sox. You were even miserable in 05.

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

thoughts? @Balta1701

I posted a day or 2 ago that Crochet's instagram had a video of him throwing pretty hard. That led me to think he might be ready sooner than everyone was thinking. But it didn't have a caption. Maybe Fegan saw the same thing and followed up on it.

I'm just tired of being frustrated about this team.  So, I want to focus on rooting for the players.  These guys don't have anything to do with a terrible owner and spineless GM.  They're going to go out there and play their asses off, and I'm going to cheer them on.  Once games start, even spring training games, it will be easier to do that.  Right now, it's too easy to focus on the bad s%*#.

I don't want to be angry and frustrated about how the team is constructed.  I want to be angry and frustrated about the performance of the players.  Just kidding...sort of.  I just want baseball to start.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm just tired of being frustrated about this team.  So, I want to focus on rooting for the players.  These guys don't have anything to do with a terrible owner and spineless GM.  They're going to go out there and play their asses off, and I'm going to cheer them on.  Once games start, even spring training games, it will be easier to do that.  Right now, it's too easy to focus on the bad s%*#.

I don't want to be angry and frustrated about how the team is constructed.  I want to be angry and frustrated about the performance of the players.  Just kidding...sort of.  I just want baseball to start.

All starts with Moncada, Grandal and TA7...

they set the tone for absolutely everyone in the organization, but especially Robert and Jimenez

13 hours ago, fathom said:

Waiting for Andrus price to drop?

The Raves on Romy comment should tell you everything you need to know unless u mean they get Andrus on MLB minimum or minor league contract. I honestly think there won't be any more MLB contracts of more than $1M spent until there's Liam insurance money or a recoup of Clevinger's salary.

I also think JR should hold himself accountable for screwing up the rebuild with the TLR hire and pony up the dough ! But JR is never wrong. The TLR hire was because he wanted to win so bad and because he's so baseball smart. 🤣🤣. He can always tell himself that it was injuries and regression that had nothing to do with TLR and to a certain extent he might be right.

If the Sox do better this year just by staying healthy he'll be vindicated. It wasn't Tony it was injuries. The Benintendi move was likely a replacement of Abreu  and Colas will be considered a natural addition. If they do worse he'll be vindicated. See ! Almost the same team with worse results . It wasn't Tony ! There's almost no scenario where JR can be wrong. He's put himself in a win win situation.

There's only one way JR can lose and that's if they have just as many injuries/problems and still win. Then Grifol looks like  the genius and TLR the villain.

13 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

To be fair, you've never been enthusiastic about anything related to the White Sox. You were even miserable in 05.

Tough way to go about fandom.  Just look for things to be miserable about daily for 50+ years.  Woof. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hahn on Clevinger, Liam, No Visa issues, Crochet, WBC, Grifol.

Once the questions started just about everything was Clevinger related except for the last 6 minutes when it was more about the team, Romy, Sosa,Lopez, Colas,Kelly, Schultz, Abreu, last year, TLR, power hitting.

Thank you very much for sharing that video.  

• Like 1