2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess I just disagree. There are issues and big ones.especially Clevinger and the health of Liam but at least in the Liam situation Liam is such an upbeat and yes uplifting guy. He is providing inspiration to his team mates and fans alike that given a life and death disease he's out there with his teammates when he can be. I don't know about you but that's something to find joy in.

Plus if TLR and injuries were the demise of 2022 we no longer have neither of those things. We have a LH savage with a strong arm providing the most hope for RF in a long time.

I spent all off season whining. That time is over at least for a month . It's a long season where I can start griping at any time but I suppose I just find it disturbing that this place is mostly joyless.

I knew a long time ago  what it seems like many just discovered, that JR doesn't care about winning as much as we want him to. If that has created so many Eeyores so be it, but it's not the end all be all of my fandom.

how you feel about how fans have reacted to this team, I am not sure why,  given what they were put through, why it is the fans fault for reacting a certain way. In that context the team hasn’t made a serious effort to fill all the remaining teams holes on the team. Yet this is somehow supposed a particularly uplifting spring?…..if reaction to a continuous , contiguous dysfunction is disturbing, fair enough. why blame the victims? TLR is gone, and the closer has cancer. I suppose half of that is good. But using cancer as an uplifting factor is not common.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

37 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't think he is unlikable but the swagger is gone.   

The swagger turned into general assholery. Is he really getting on Garfien for being critical of the team? Which media personality wasn't tough on the team? It's not like that was hard to do with how s%*# the team was last year. TA's general attitude just seemed wrong and if that's the attitude they're going with into this year, nothing will change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

how you feel about how fans have reacted to this team, I am not sure why,  given what they were put through, why it is the fans fault for reacting a certain way. In that context the team hasn’t made a serious effort to fill all the holes on the team, yet this is somehow a particularly uplifting spring…..if it’s disturbing, fair enough. why blame the victims?

We aren't victims. Being in California I don't spend money on the White Sox. I am a fan. Plenty of things to hate about the team and I've been vociferous about those many many things, many many times, which basically is all on JR.

Fans aren't at fault and aren't to blame for anything but my recent positive comments have got a good response mostly.

You aren't going to stop watching and rooting for the team are you ? It that respect you must have some emotional investment in the team doing well . Feel free to be as angry as you feel you have a right to be. If I was doing what you said I am I'd be a hypocrite because I am extremely vocal about their shortcomings as an organization. I just temper my expectations, but like  this time of year because I can see the what usually amounts to delusional wisdom in "hope springs eternal".

I can't always be a grump about it.

I don't know how people don't hear it, but the dude is a wreck.  He is completely torn down and at rock bottom. We already saw Abreu change his tune and leave, and now this from TA.  Something is just poisonous.  Hopefully it was just Tony, but Jesus this franchise just ruined fun for two of the happiest players in baseball.

• Like 3

I listened to the podcast and didn't get the feeling that TA was being an ass at all.

I'm actually starting to get excited about the upcoming season after listening to some of these podcast and after hearing how much has changed from last year.  They won't say it, but Tony was obviously the problem with this team underperforming.  The whole team culture where no one was held accountable by a players manager was clearly a problem with the team not pulling together. 

I didn't listen to the entire Garfien or Barstool Carl interviews, but did listen to chunks of both.  I don't really see the problem with anything TA said.  So he wants fans pulling from the same rope rather than being ultra negative and that's a problem?  He wants to get paid in his next contract and that's a problem?  Some of you guys just look for things to b**** about. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know how people don't hear it, but the dude is a wreck.  He is completely torn down and at rock bottom. We already saw Abreu change his tune and leave, and now this from TA.  Something is just poisonous.  Hopefully it was just Tony, but Jesus this franchise just ruined fun for two of the happiest players in baseball.

A certain amount can be put on the team. As usual JR stuck his nose in and made a mess.

You talk as if Tim wasn't his own worst enemy. Maybe he's bothered because he doesn't feel anyone has his back and sticking their noses into his personal life and drawing conclusions from very little knowledge.

Losing and injuries and upper management decisions will tear you down but most players in his situation would say I have no control over that and I'll let my play do the talking and if I do well and keep my nose clean I'll reap the benefits. There's not a whole lot to gain from being outwardly disgruntled and pointing fingers.

Jose just did what he had to do and went to a team with a good chance to win a World Series if that was what he is seeking and didn't think the Sox could do it.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A certain amount can be put on the team. As usual JR stuck his nose in and made a mess.

You talk as if Tim wasn't his own worst enemy. Maybe he's bothered because he doesn't feel anyone has his back and sticking their noses into his personal life and drawing conclusions from very little knowledge.

Losing and injuries and upper management decisions will tear you down but most players in his situation would say I have no control over that and I'll let my play do the talking and if I do well and keep my nose clean I'll reap the benefits. There's not a whole lot to gain from being outwardly disgruntled and pointing fingers.

Jose just did what he had to do and went to a team with a good chance to win a World Series if that was what he is seeking and didn't think the Sox could do it.

You know that works two ways, right? 

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We aren't victims. Being in California I don't spend money on the White Sox. I am a fan. Plenty of things to hate about the team and I've been vociferous about those many many things, many many times, which basically is all on JR.

Fans aren't at fault and aren't to blame for anything but my recent positive comments have got a good response mostly.

You aren't going to stop watching and rooting for the team are you ? It that respect you must have some emotional investment in the team doing well . Feel free to be as angry as you feel you have a right to be. If I was doing what you said I am I'd be a hypocrite because I am extremely vocal about their shortcomings as an organization. I just temper my expectations, but like  this time of year because I can see the what usually amounts to delusional wisdom in "hope springs eternal".

I can't always be a grump about it.

Happy travels with your approach. I just  disagree on what you termed as an  uplifting spring as if that was a statement of fact that we should be happy about . Maybe not, and not. TA didn’t get the memo.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

9 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I listened to the podcast and didn't get the feeling that TA was being an ass at all.

I'm actually starting to get excited about the upcoming season after listening to some of these podcast and after hearing how much has changed from last year.  They won't say it, but Tony was obviously the problem with this team underperforming.  The whole team culture where no one was held accountable by a players manager was clearly a problem with the team not pulling together. 

I'm glad. That's why I post them so Soxtalk can hear these things for themselves and not just rely on tweets or portions taken out of context. The team seems to be responding well to the Grifol message.

Now somehow they stay have to stay a lot healthier than usual . This team has a wide variance of outcomes. I would imagine the, predict the number of Sox wins for the season thread, should be coming soon.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How about a little personal responsibility for TA here? Blaming Tony still is ridiculous. The players liked him by all accounts, but he was just a horrible manager. Give Tony and the org some blame, sure. TA isn't free of blame.

I'd imagine if he is "a wreck" like you said, part of it probably comes from the drama of knocking up somebody that isn't your wife. 

• Like 1

Just now, ron883 said:

How about a little personal responsibility for TA here? Blaming Tony still is ridiculous. The players liked him by all accounts, but he was just a horrible manager. Give Tony and the org some blame, sure. TA isn't free of blame.

I'd imagine if he is "a wreck" like you said, part of it probably comes from the drama of knocking up somebody that isn't your wife. 

Easy.  It isn't just Tim.  But that destroys the narrative.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I didn’t think he was “being an ass” either. Personally the wife advice comment dropped my lower jaw, but other than that. However, he seems to want a a fanbase completely overtaken by pollyannaism or something. And he hasn’t earned that kind of credit by his own actions. If it was Jim Thome that took us to the woodshed, at least I might be affected by the gaslighting a little.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Easy.  It isn't just Tim.  But that destroys the narrative.

What other players this year have made comments similar to what TA said?

Nobody went after Tony harder than I did last year, but we can't keep blaming him for this season. 

Edited by ron883

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think he used to feed on bulletin board type stuff when he was younger. He still might. But being thin-skinned and rabbit earned may not serve him well this time. We shall see. Hopefully everyone is hopping mad, has seen their reflections in the mirror, and are ready to prove something. Lashing out at media and the fanbase in camp is not a great beginning though. He’s only creating more layers to fight through.

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I didn't listen to the entire Garfien or Barstool Carl interviews, but did listen to chunks of both.  I don't really see the problem with anything TA said.  So he wants fans pulling from the same rope rather than being ultra negative and that's a problem?  He wants to get paid in his next contract and that's a problem?  Some of you guys just look for things to b**** about. 

The one thing that irked me was him complaining that the guys writing about the team were negative and hard on them, when most of us here get upset that our beat writers are too easy on the front office, never asking tough questions or follow-ups.

I get there's a difference between questioning the players and questioning the front office, but Chuck is also the most positive person I can think of when discussing the team and its underperformance last year. To single him out seemed like whining.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The one thing that irked me was him complaining that the guys writing about the team were negative and hard on them, when most of us here get upset that our beat writers are too easy on the front office, never asking tough questions or follow-ups.

I get there's a difference between questioning the players and questioning the front office, but Chuck is also the most positive person I can think of when discussing the team and its underperformance last year. To single him out seemed like whining.

Sure, but its really not a big deal.  He was just saying that it would be helpful if everyone was pulling from the same rope.  Big deal.