2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

If I were to take the optimistic side of any one player now...with the opportunity in front of him I'd say we may be talking about Lopez as one of the best closers in the game in july.

That is certainly a bold prediction, especially with how volatile pitchers tend to be. I'm pulling for ReyLo. One of the more likeable guys on the team especially when successful.

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

That is certainly a bold prediction, especially with how volatile pitchers tend to be. I'm pulling for ReyLo. One of the more likeable guys on the team especially when successful.

I think ReyLo will continue to thrive in the pen, but I think its much more likely Liam is our closer in July than ReyLo. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think ReyLo will continue to thrive in the pen, but I think its much more likely Liam is our closer in July than ReyLo. 

I don't doubt that with Liam. With his drive to get out there and pitch, I don't think he will let himself not be on the mound for what is hopefully the stretch of games where the Sox are fighting hard for the division.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like Graveman will be the closer and ReyLo the fireman. Graveman has made comments about not wanting to come in with guys on base which is...concerning for a reliever to say the least. Graveman has the experience so I think they'd lean that way but Grifol has been open minded. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bummer and eventually Crochet in the mix if the matchups were right. 

15 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I feel like Graveman will be the closer and ReyLo the fireman. Graveman has made comments about not wanting to come in with guys on base which is...concerning for a reliever to say the least. Graveman has the experience so I think they'd lean that way but Grifol has been open minded. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bummer and eventually Crochet in the mix if the matchups were right. 

What's your take on Liam? All comments from Katz to Grifol to even Gio saying he expects him back soon have all been very positive.  Sox DFA'd a potentially useful depth arm in order to not place Liam on the 60 day.  Sounds like he's been at camp more than not, and is continuing to pitch.  Obviously I am not privy to where he is in his treatment, but I feel like they've telegraphed that he's doing well so far and don't expect a long term absense.  Liam's focus is certainly on fighting his cancer, but I am also confident it was caught very early with the type of medical treatment these guys get.  I think he'll be back sooner than most expect.  

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope so but I've decided just to not expect Liam this year and be pleasantly surprised. just want him cancer-free first.

• Like 3

It's refreshing to see a lot of positive news coming from spring training.  The players seem engaged and happy.  The coaches are working hard with them.  Plenty of encouraging things so far.

It's very frustrating to realize that two years of potential were wasted with TLR at the helm.  Last year seemed to be rock bottom for sure, but I don't doubt that 2021 could have been a better year.

Time will tell, but a new manager and coaching staff could (and should) have quite an impact with this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

What's your take on Liam? All comments from Katz to Grifol to even Gio saying he expects him back soon have all been very positive.  Sox DFA'd a potentially useful depth arm in order to not place Liam on the 60 day.  Sounds like he's been at camp more than not, and is continuing to pitch.  Obviously I am not privy to where he is in his treatment, but I feel like they've telegraphed that he's doing well so far and don't expect a long term absence.  Liam's focus is certainly on fighting his cancer, but I am also confident it was caught very early with the type of medical treatment these guys get.  I think he'll be back sooner than most expect.  

I can't even guess. When cancer is involved I can't even really have an opinion. Hahn keeps saying the earliest they will update his status is after opening day. At the point of diagnosis, people on Twitter were acting like he shouldn't even be considered for 2023. It's definitely a good sign he's in Glendale with the team and throwing. He's obviously a highly competitive dude who is going to push whatever timeline he is dealt.

When you say you think he'll be back sooner than others, what are you seeing/hearing from others? I have basically seen people with my opinion of not being able to have an opinion and then people who think he's going to be out all year. Would definitely be nice to have him back in the first half but I am curious what Liam's goals are in his head.

Every cancer is different and can obviously be caught at a variety of points. Not sure there is much value in looking at other cases of players getting cancer in the midst of their career.  Like everyone else, I am just hoping Liam is healthy and cancer free ASAP anything we get out of him in 2023 would be the cherry on top. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

I can't even guess. When cancer is involved I can't even really have an opinion. Hahn keeps saying the earliest they will update his status is after opening day. At the point of diagnosis, people on Twitter were acting like he shouldn't even be considered for 2023. It's definitely a good sign he's in Glendale with the team and throwing. He's obviously a highly competitive dude who is going to push whatever timeline he is dealt.

When you say you think he'll be back sooner than others, what are you seeing/hearing from others? I have basically seen people with my opinion of not being able to have an opinion and then people who think he's going to be out all year. Would definitely be nice to have him back in the first half but I am curious what Liam's goals are in his head.

Every cancer is different and can obviously be caught at a variety of points. Not sure there is much value in looking at other cases of players getting cancer in the midst of their career.  Like everyone else, I am just hoping Liam is healthy and cancer free ASAP anything we get out of him in 2023 would be the cherry on top. 

The treatment could be as long as 6 months. He probably is doing the one that is 3 to 4 months. It kicks your ass. It’s great that he is with the team and throwing, but he’s probably nowhere near full strength and probably has at least another month or two getting treated. You have to figure it will take some time after that to get to full strength. Hope he comes back in the second half, but don’t count on it,

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The treatment could be as long as 6 months. He probably is doing the one that is 3 to 4 months. It kicks your ass. It’s great that he is with the team and throwing, but he’s probably nowhere near full strength and probably has at least another month or two getting treated. You have to figure it will take some time after that to get to full strength. Hope he comes back in the second half, but don’t count on it,

Why isn’t he on the 60 day IL then? 

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Everyone panic! Leury at 2B! 

I think the RF choice is the more pressing issue.  They went out and got a LFer because he couldnt keep healthy playing the field.  Now we are going to pretend that him in RF at any reps is any better.  How about the fact that he has a noodle for an arm.  Lots of dudes going first to 3rd on him this year if he plays the field.  He should be a DH day one just to press this home that this is his position.  Not letting the inmates run the asylum.  

• Like 3

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

I think the RF choice is the more pressing issue.  They went out and got a LFer because he couldnt keep healthy playing the field.  Now we are going to pretend that him in RF at any reps is any better.  How about the fact that he has a noodle for an arm.  Lots of dudes going first to 3rd on him this year if he plays the field.  He should be a DH day one just to press this home that this is his position.  Not letting the inmates run the asylum.  

Honestly missed that first glance. Terrible. But Eloy isn’t going to play a ton of OF.