2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Wait, I thought they DFA Sousa.

Hah, they did. A lefty with 5.5 years of control sorta fits the “potentially useful” role. Still strange to lose him if you know Liam is going to 60 day IL and it’s available To them. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Hah, they did. A lefty with 5.5 years of control sorta fits the “potentially useful” role. Still strange to lose him if you know Liam is going to 60 day IL and it’s available To them. 

This has been a weird front office thing for a while.  Not putting people on the DL, not putting them on the 60 day DL when its obvious that they are not coming back for a while.  Its almost like Hahn has no idea on how it works.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This has been a weird front office thing for a while.  Not putting people on the DL, not putting them on the 60 day DL when its obvious that they are not coming back for a while.  Its almost like Hahn has no idea on how it works.  

From my State of the Sox story released November 1, this from sources:

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

I don't love that Eloy is in RF either, but how many innings are the starters going to play the first few weeks anyway?  They said he was going to get some time in RF, so I'm not going to freak out yet.  I do hope its minimal time out there though just to cover those few weeks before Colas is called up.

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Great, then he should be a DH day one.  Playing him in RF sends the wrong message.  Especially game one of the preseason.  

It's literally the first practice game of the preseason, I don't think the Sox are concerned with any messages their practice squads send. They're getting their guys ABs and they're trying Eloy in RF - like Grifol said they would.

Frankly, let him get his reps in early like this so we can prove it's a failed experiment and move on from it sooner rather than later.

I'm just not going to get bent out of shape over literally every lineup in practice.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's literally the first practice game of the preseason, I don't think the Sox are concerned with any messages their practice squads send. They're getting their guys ABs and they're trying Eloy in RF - like Grifol said they would.

Frankly, let him get his reps in early like this so we can prove it's a failed experiment and move on from it sooner rather than later.

I'm just not going to get bent out of shape over literally every lineup in practice.

Or if Leury receives ANY playing time...

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

Great, then he should be a DH day one.  Playing him in RF sends the wrong message.  Especially game one of the preseason.  

The message they've been sending for awhile now is that he has a  shot at the job. And Eloy sure believes he does. Putting down the sandwhiches and beer (I assume) for a reason. At the end of the day, he and Colas will probably platoon depending on pitching.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

No shift. No sticky stuff. Big bases. Limit throws to first. I assume all pickoff moves are balks now. They are gearing up for huge scoring boost. Probably will be throwing superballs wrapped in cowhide.

I think Manfred will deaden the ball while making it easier to steal to bring back the “excitement” of the 70s. But I bet it won’t work cuz pitchers have much higher velocity and better pitch shapes than the 70s. I predict a lot of stranded runners and thrilling wild pitch offense.