2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

No shift. No sticky stuff. Big bases. Limit throws to first. I assume all pickoff moves are balks now. They are gearing up for huge scoring boost. Probably will be throwing superballs wrapped in cowhide.

You mean we all get to use the balls they used for Yankees games last year?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

You mean we all get to use the balls they used for Yankees games last year?

Somebody asked Don Sutton (or Freddie Garcia) why he took so much time between pitches. Answer: Waiting for the pain to go away so I can throw the next pitch. 

Edited by pcq

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fired up - just got into town and get to see my first spring training game in I dont know when and my kids get their first spring training experience ever. 

That is so awesome man!!! Last spring training game I went to was in 2005… maybe I should go out there and bring hi8is Jr. 😆

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

That is so awesome man!!! Last spring training game I went to was in 2005… maybe I should go out there and bring hi8is Jr. 😆

I woke up this morning and looked at forecast - it looked alright and all our stuff in so cal was rained out - so checked for rooms and drove out after work (completely last minute). Shockingly hit zero traffic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I woke up this morning and looked at forecast - it looked alright and all our stuff in so cal was rained out - so checked for rooms and drove out after work (completely last minute). Shockingly hit zero traffic. 

I literally thought about it around 5pm 😆 Congrats brother! Get some sleep!! Send pics tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Fired up - just got into town and get to see my first spring training game in I dont know when and my kids get their first spring training experience ever. 

Nice! I am flying down there with my kid as well on the 9th with my kid. First time I’ve been down there since the 2007 spring training. Pretty pumped to get a week of games in. Last minute unplanned let’s go do this trips are the best for sure

Edited by Vote4Pedro

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you go maybe I can share the driving and gas. Ive never been to ST.

You’d love it man. Not sure if my schedule will allow for it but I’ll look at the calendar and keep ya posted brother!

• Thanks 1

Best long shot name to make each team's roster...

"White Sox: RHP Edgar Navarro
Navarro earned strong reviews for his 2022 Minor League season, during which he posted a 3.64 ERA and .188 average against over three different stops, along with 69 strikeouts in 54 1/3 innings. But the non-roster invite has taken another step forward during the early stages of Spring Training, earning praise from manager Pedro Grifol. Describing Navarro as possessing “power stuff” with an “elite sinker,” Grifol was looking forward to seeing Navarro in Cactus League action. The White Sox have a number of candidates for one or two bullpen slots, and Navarro appears to be one of them." -- Scott Merkin

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-opening-day-roster-dark-horse-candidates

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Best long shot name to make each team's roster...

"White Sox: RHP Edgar Navarro

The Sox are going to need a couple of bloomers or some guys really improve (beyond what they were in 2021/2022)  in order to win this season.
One issue with Navarro - averaged almost 7 walks per 9 last season.

"Sánchez is still young and was identified as an intriguing prospect as a teenager. Baseball America considered him the #3 prospect in the Angels’ system going into 2015. Many years have passed since then but the southpaw threw 146 Double-A innings in 2019 with a 4.44 ERA and 3.40 FIP. After two mostly lost seasons, he didn’t quite match that production in 2022, but perhaps he will find better results now that he’s further removed from his lengthy absence."

mlbtraderumors.com

On 2/25/2023 at 10:40 AM, bmags said:

I think the perfect version of baseball for me is going to be pitch clock plus Ball/strike challenges with human umps still.

I don’t see this ever working. It’s not like football where you still may lose a challenge, you’ll know for sure if it was a strike or ball and it seems like that would be challenged constantly all game and end up slowing the game down. 

I would rather they just keep human umps making judgement calls, but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.