2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's not like tennis anymore, which has recently changed to a fully automated system (no more challenges), which has made the matches much smoother IMO

Personally, I hate this ball/strike challenge system. They have the technology for full automation and it's proven to be far more accurate than the current system, so why not just use it? Why do a weird mix of the two?

Because we're baseball, and we love the "human element."

Meaning, "we need to be able to b**** about something."

if this is all for a better fan experience why not allow the use of HGH for special cases throughout the season? like for injury recovery and for players over 30

I don't care about timers, robo umps, or larger bases but having the average players prime be between ages 25-30 is so boring when the league can easily extend it by 5 more years

professional sports overall are far behind the science here

On 3/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, JoeC said:

Because we're baseball, and we love the "human element."

Meaning, "we need to be able to b**** about something."

We have the ability to improve the game, but because we are MLB, we chose to make things worse. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There it is, the work around.

I've been waiting for this. Might as well, especially with a guy like Gallo, who if he hits it in the air, its either a routine play or gone. If the Sox can get the 2020 Luis Robert in CF back, they could do this a lot. I suspect if this happens enough, and teams don't get burned bad, they will change the rule so the work around will be illegal as well.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm surprised the leftfielder doesn't move over even more to right since the batter is going to pull no matter what. This seems like it will be effective. If hitters wouldn't go the oppo way before they are not going to do it now.

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm surprised the leftfielder doesn't move over even more to right since the batter is going to pull no matter what. This seems like it will be effective. If hitters wouldn't go the oppo way before they are not going to do it now.

Much more likely to pull the ball on the ground than in the air though...especially against 97+ heaters.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hanser Alberto is looking sharp in the field and hitting.

Romy playing all over  the field including CF today.

Andrus hitting well, too.

At least early on 2nd base is looking great.

Yeah I’m beginning to think none of the NRI OFs make it. Well, I guess they can over Romy if he doesn’t start hitting.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is Grandal with Katz and Kopech. They are saying Kopech looks "unreal" and "phenomenal" at least in that pen session, only his 4th of the preseason.

Of all the things we could hope for, a huge ace like jump from Kopech is around the top of such list.

Along with so many other things. This team is certainly one we can dream on. Each of the following hopes are all within reach…

Eloy hitting 40 bombs

Robert putting up 7 WAR

Anderson being near the top of the BA pack

Vaughn hitting 25 bombs

Clevenger not getting castrated

Colas top 3 ROY

Elvis giving us the best year at second since 2005

Grandal hitting 20 bombs

Moncada putting up 4 WAR

Cease top 3 Cy Young

Hendricks coming back by the all star break

Beni hitting for a high average with 20 bombs and completing a good defensive outfield

Lynn giving us 180 IP

Of course I’m not saying all of that happens but none of those things are unrealistic.

Safe to say we have just as much in the “uncertainty” column. Hopefully baseball will be fun again in 2023 on the south side and we won’t be fucking drunkenly asleep by the first inning again this year.

That poop was so absurd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Of all the things we could hope for, a huge ace like jump from Kopech is around the top of such list.

Along with so many other things. This team is certainly one we can dream on. Each of the following hopes are all within reach…

Eloy hitting 40 bombs

Robert putting up 7 WAR

Anderson being near the top of the BA pack

Vaughn hitting 25 bombs

Clevenger not getting castrated

Colas top 3 ROY

Elvis giving us the best year at second since 2005

Grandal hitting 20 bombs

Moncada putting up 4 WAR

Cease top 3 Cy Young

Hendricks coming back by the all star break

Beni hitting for a high average with 20 bombs and completing a good defensive outfield

Lynn giving us 180 IP

Of course I’m not saying all of that happens but none of those things are unrealistic.

Safe to say we have just as much in the “uncertainty” column. Hopefully baseball will be fun again in 2023 on the south side and we won’t be fucking drunkenly asleep by the first inning again this year.

That poop was so absurd.

I like your positive  opinions.

14 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is Grandal with Katz and Kopech. They are saying Kopech looks "unreal" and "phenomenal" at least in that pen session, only his 4th of the preseason.

This was a great share. I have always thought he has more potential than Cease. If both hit their peak this year....wow.

• Like 1

Just Baseball's White Sox guy Elijah Evans is posting lots of great content from Camelback, including both kinds of BPs:

• Like 1
  • Fire 1