2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

17 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Cancel Spring Training 🙂…don’t wish injuries on anyone and hopefully he is okay but if one team can overcome/absorb injuries it’s Steve Cohen and the Mets so I don’t feel too bad

If not the Sox, I want the Mets to win 3 titles in a row just so cheap ownership across MLB has no excuses anymore. 

Cohen and the SD ownership have it right. 

You play to win the game. You don't play to just play it. /hermedwards

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Hard to believe that guy is a pro

He was the Sox best DSL player last year.

.344 .448 .636 1.084   That's a great slash line even if he was 20 and the most of the DSL is younger.

154 AB, 7 2b, 7 3b, 8 HR

29 BB 22 K

From The Sox 2023 Prospects page where he is ranked 28th.

"Built like a slightly taller Jose Altuve, Chapelli's clean left-handed swing and disciplined approach produce a lot of hard contact. In two seasons as a teenager in Cuba's Serie Nacional, he batted .304/.419/.438, a stat line that doesn't do justice to his power potential. With his hitting ability, bat speed and sneaky strength, he could hit 15 or more homers on an annual basis.  

After playing the outfield corners in Cuba, Chapelli switched to second base in the DSL. His solid speed, quick hands and decent arm give him a chance to become an average defender at second. He'll be 21 this season and could make the jump to High-A to show what he can do against more age-appropriate competition."

He'll be a great follow this year in A ball.

People said the same thing about Altuve when no one wanted to sign him. I think Altuve was one of those 15K signees.

They knew he had a quick  bat, was a leader and good instincts but he was 5' 5" at 16 years old . Hasn't grown much since then.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:00 PM, Tnetennba said:

This is why I think it’s important to rest Vaughn often over the course of the season. Two years in a row he’s worn down due to nagging injuries. If you want to see an ugly batting line, check out his career numbers in September and later. 

Part of the wear and tear was likely due to playing the OF, but here he is with nagging soreness already after only playing 1B. I don’t think Vaughn should play more than 5 days/week during the season. Start Sheets 1-2 times/week against RHP. There’s not much of a dropoff between the two (in fact Sheets’s career numbers are better thus far against RHP).

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is it wrong that I checked the schedule to see when we play Houston the second time this year?

(For those interested, it is within the first two months of the season.)

Is it wrong?  Hell no!😇

I will follow that statement with the disclaimer that I genuinely do not wish injury on any player despite my disdain for them or the team they cheated I mean play for. 

22 hours ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

This is why I think it’s important to rest Vaughn often over the course of the season. Two years in a row he’s worn down due to nagging injuries. If you want to see an ugly batting line, check out his career numbers in September and later. 

Part of the wear and tear was likely due to playing the OF, but here he is with nagging soreness already after only playing 1B. I don’t think Vaughn should play more than 5 days/week during the season. Start Sheets 1-2 times/week against RHP. There’s not much of a dropoff between the two (in fact Sheets’s career numbers are better thus far against RHP).

Maybe it's too much for him.

11 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Do you think this org pays for a Colas banner if there is a question whether he is making the team?

This would be the easiest grievance case ever if he was held down for two weeks to "work on some stuff" the magically called up.

Sox: "What evidence do you have that we planned on calling Colas up early in the season?"

Colas' Agent: "You put up a banner of him in March. Near the stadium in Chicago. Wearing a Sox uniform."