2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's a Gordan Beckham-like fall from grace.  

He's got the same problem as Beckham. Their swings always looked similar to me and I think the hitch in the swing basically made it impossible for them to catch up with high fastballs. 

Hiura, like Beckham, came out of the gates on fire. Then the league caught up and they could never adjust. 

• Like 1

DVS of the Sun-Times with a Moncada-status story:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/3/27/23658737/white-sox-third-baseman-yoan-moncadas-status-uncertain-for-opening-day

Grifol's comment was interesting:

Grifol suggested Moncada’s soreness stems from being on long flights in recent weeks. He and Luis Robert played for Cuba in the World Baseball Classic, flying to Taiwan from Phoenix, then to Miami and back to Phoenix.

“They got a lot of miles on them this spring,” Grifol said. “That could be a residual of that.”

6 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I propose a managerial challenge to ejections. Double or nothing.

If the managerial challenge is upheld, the ejection is overturned and umpire is ejected.

if the challenge is rejected, a second player (of the opposing manager’s choosing) is also ejected.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 3:48 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Big fan of McKenzie other than him being on Cleveland.

Sounds like he may miss up to 2 months.  Believe it or not, the Guardians don't have much in the way of pitching depth.  Their 6th and 7th starters are the moment are ChiSox cast offs in Pilkington and Bilous.  This hurts for Cleveland...alot.  

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sounds like he may miss up to 2 months.  Believe it or not, the Guardians don't have much in the way of pitching depth.  Their 6th and 7th starters are the moment are ChiSox cast offs in Pilkington and Bilous.  This hurts for Cleveland...alot.  

I love Bibee but he will need some more time in the miinors

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cleveland's biggest issue this year will be the fact that they cannot feast on the poor AL central.  They seemed to struggle out of the division while the Sox inside the division.  Similar to Minnesota. 

I have zero stats to back this up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/athletics-trade-rumors-cristian-pache-dfa-waivers.html

A's exploring trades for Cristian Pache, who is out of options. Still just 24 with a great speed and defense and had a nice spring. Solid option for 4th OF?

He'd be a good #4.  The out of options thing sucks but no brainer low cost upgrade with potential imo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/athletics-trade-rumors-cristian-pache-dfa-waivers.html

A's exploring trades for Cristian Pache, who is out of options. Still just 24 with a great speed and defense and had a nice spring. Solid option for 4th OF?

Quite a fall from grace for Pache.  Dude was a major prospect 1.5 years ago.  I'd take a flier pending price, but imagine a lot of rebuilding clubs would also be interested.  But the A's certainly fit that bill, so maybe he's just trash? 

Burger for Pache, perhaps?  Burger would make a nice platoon partner for Jace Pederson in Oakland.  I do think Burger will be needed at times in Chicago, but obviously something has to give from the 40 man and I suspect the A's will be able to get something of relative value for Pache. I suspect they'll DFA him tomorrow to buy themselves some more time to find the best deal. 

Edited by ChiSox59

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Quite a fall from grace for Pache.  Dude was a major prospect 1.5 years ago.  I'd take a flier pending price, but imagine a lot of rebuilding clubs would also be interested.  But the A's certainly fit that bill, so maybe he's just trash? 

Burger for Pache, perhaps?  Burger would make a nice platoon partner for Jace Pederson in Oakland.  I do think Burger will be needed at times in Chicago, but obviously something has to give from the 40 man and I suspect the A's will be able to get something of relative value for Pache. I suspect they'll DFA him tomorrow to buy themselves some more time to find the best deal. 

Meh, he's got a .439 career OPS over 332 plate appearances spread across 3 years. If he had options that would be one thing, I'd gladly give him a chance in Charlotte, but how's he going to develop with 3-6 plate appearances per week that are probably going to be pretty ugly based on his prior performance? Romy has a better shot at contributing in the near term, and I'd rather have Burger around in AAA to be called up when the first injury hits.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Traded for a Billy Sullivan.  A RH reliever that does not appear on any Phillies top 30 lists.  Crazy fall for Pache.  Hope he figures it out with the Phils. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Traded for a Billy Sullivan.  A RH reliever that does not appear on any Phillies top 30 lists.  Crazy fall for Pache.  Hope he figures it out with the Phils. 

Hard to believe the Sox mess around with Billy Hamilton when a switch hitting speed and defense guy like Pache was available for peanuts after he hit .302 this spring. I know  many love Hamilton but this stick just don't play . Can't keep guys around just because they are a good cheerleader. At least find a guy with upside like Pache. No idea if Pache has options left and that figures in a decent amount of minor league acquisitions. Always other things to take into consideration also like a player's reputation and/or attitude inside the clubhouse.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hard to believe the Sox mess around with Billy Hamilton when a switch hitting speed and defense guy like Pache was available for peanuts after he hit .302 this spring. I know  many love Hamilton but this stick just don't play . Can't keep guys around just because they are a good cheerleader. At least find a guy with upside like Pache. No idea if Pache has options left and that figures in a decent amount of minor league acquisitions. Always other things to take into consideration also like a player's reputation and/or attitude inside the clubhouse.

He doesn’t have options. He wouldn’t have been available (or at least would have been much more expensive) if he did. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He doesn’t have options. He wouldn’t have been available (or at least would have been much more expensive) if he did. 

Yea i was just coming back to edit my post when i saw the previous post said he was out of options. Would've had to stick him on the 26  and that wasn't going to happen.

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I really don't want Colas to sit in the first game

I don't think it's a given Colas starts. Valdez is lefty and a high GB rate pitcher. The Sox will be beating the ball into the ground.

While Colas has cut down on K's he's also beat the ball into the ground. I actually wish they had left him alone over this winter in Miami. Well, not left him alone but just said be yourself and we'll see how it plays while concentrating on him being more selective and having a 2 strike approach rather than a lets look oppo approach . Hate to see a buy strong guy like Colas not take his big cuts. As far as bombs go he's as capable of hitting it 450 ft as Eloy is. Romy and Zavala mostly pull the ball but both of them have show the ability to go oppo also. Yes they both K a lot but I'll take them looking to pull more. Zeby gets a lot doubles doing that also.

Romy's last 10 games played, from March 17 to March 28 ,he was 11/29 (.379) with 6 HR's and 12 RBI. He finished ST with a .646 slugging %. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Romy in RF.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Pache isn’t a switch-hitter.