Ghost runner rule now permanent

Tnetennba

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What I don't understand is if they love this rule so much, how come they don't use it in the playoffs?

I think its purely to avoid the handful of marathon games each season that obviously the players hate, the staff hates, and it ruins pens for weeks.  But its rare, and it stupid to ruin all extra inning games for that.

Start the rule in the 12th.  I could live with that.  

I guess I "get it", but still hate it.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My argument is they already had 9 innings to win the "old way", and weren't able to

I agree. No reason to burn a bunch of arms in a long season because of extra innings games especially if you happen to be one of those teams that goes too extra innings often. This isn't the old days when pitchers could throw so many innings. Most relievers are good for only 1 inning these days.

You can't be a traditionalist if the game has changed and it has.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’m in the minority, but I love this rule. I don’t see how it detracts from the game in any way, and it helps to make witnessing the end of games more accessible. I haven’t seen any downsides whatsoever; the only reason to dislike it is to dislike change in general. 

The one thing I really hate about it is who gets put on second. It could be a big advantage to some team all because a really fast guy made an out. While I understand extra innings aren't always that equal depending where you are in the line up, it seems odd to reward a team for an out. And if the rule is so great, why don't they include it in the playoffs. Pitching can be even more scarce then. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree. No reason to burn a bunch of arms in a long season because of extra innings games especially if you happen to be one of those teams that goes too extra innings often. This isn't the old days when pitchers could throw so many innings. Most relievers are good for only 1 inning these days.

You can't be a traditionalist if the game has changed and it has.

I think this puts it perfectly

Screenshot_20230213_151223_Twitter.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The one thing I really hate about it is who gets put on second. It could be a big advantage to some team all because a really fast guy made an out. While I understand extra innings aren't always that equal depending where you are in the line up, it seems odd to reward a team for an out. And if the rule is so great, why don't they include it in the playoffs. Pitching can be even more scarce then. 

I agree that’s the closest thing to a problem. But I guess I feel like it’s natural for varying base running skills and batting order luck to factor into the game situation. Admittedly that’s just a personal feeling, but it just seems to line up with how the game already sort of works — like you’re in an extra inning situation, you have an advantage of the good part of your batting order is up, etc.

• Like 1