Holmes wonders about JR's "desire"...

Lip Man 1

25 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What is there to wonder?  Haven’t we seen enough evidence to know that profit comes before winning?  The only thing really newsworthy here is that it made into print, digital or otherwise. 

Pretty much. He hasn't had the desire forever. Probably the last time he was really engaged was like '08 or so imo. Since he replaced KW with Hahn the org as a whole has just been stuck in neutral.

• Like 1

I've spoken to a number of people over the years who know JR and the one constant I get is that he wants to win.

But...

He wants to win HIS WAY...under his rules, his restrictions financially, and putting loyalty above all else.

Like many in the organization he feels he is smarter than everyone else...history shows that is not the case.

• Like 6

The Sox aren't willing to take risks that /might/ guarantee them a playoff spot, but could also hamstring them financially

Only a few ballclubs seem to be willing to do this (clubs like HOU, TB, STL, CLE have the minor league strength where they don't need to go all in on FAs to build perennial winners)

(Not saying CLE is a perennial winner but they've been more successful in recent years than the Sox have and generally always rank higher in MiLB depth)

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've spoken to a number of people over the years who know JR and the one constant I get is that he wants to win.

But...

He wants to win HIS WAY...under his rules, his restrictions financially, and putting loyalty above all else.

Like many in the organization he feels he is smarter than everyone else...history shows that is not the case.

My major issue with JR has been his unflinching dedication to loyalty above talent. I am not talking on the field. He has shown he will spend some money when needed, however its in the front office where he fails us. They have had numerous chances to hire and put together a modern office with top baseball talent. But no...this is where he WON'T spend the money. He will continue to let unqualified people run the show as long as they are loyal to him. And he will ask old friends to be managers, instead of finding the best field minds. He has no interest in letting "outsiders" run the White Sox.

Thats why I don't like JR...

And he called me short once, too. 
Asshole.

Edited by RibbieRubarb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But...

This sounds like someone saying they want to run a marathon but only if they reduce the mileage and change the rules to walking only.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But...

A long time ago, it was obvious that HIS WAY wasn't working. Instead, he gave us Robin Ventura, Tony LaRussa, and a tank job. Regardless, since 2008, this team has won next to nothing. If JR wants to win so badly, he isn't showing it. And the Bulls have done squat since Jordan and Pippen left. If this guy really wants to win, I have seen no evidence of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

The Sox aren't willing to take risks that /might/ guarantee them a playoff spot, but could also hamstring them financially

Only a few ballclubs seem to be willing to do this (clubs like HOU, TB, STL, CLE have the minor league strength where they don't need to go all in on FAs to build perennial winners)

(Not saying CLE is a perennial winner but they've been more successful in recent years than the Sox have and generally always rank higher in MiLB depth)

Cleveland has been better than the Sox, far better, for the last thirty years.  They’ve had three World Series appearances.  Lost in the ALCS twice. Lost in the ALDS six times.  It’s fairly close to perennial.

The Sox have 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021.  Three of those were embarrassing exits.

• Like 1

I complain about Jerry a lot but it's mostly about the following

1. Pick a damn lane. Either you're a large market team or you're not. Structure the organization accordingly. 

2. Being overly risk averse. 

Jerry has had top 10 payrolls, but he's not willing to spend to put the team over the top. So he's not necessarily cheap, but rather overly risk averse. 

3. Loyal to a fault.

Giving your FO a fair shot is one thing, but sometimes they've been given plenty of rope and hung themselves with it. It's ok to fire someone if they deserve it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

What is there to wonder?  Haven’t we seen enough evidence to know that profit comes before winning?  The only thing really newsworthy here is that it made into print, digital or otherwise. 

I certainly believe it’s important for the franchise to make money so it stays in business. Jerry is a businessman first and foremost. Spending big bucks on a free agent doesn’t guarantee a winning season. 

• TLR 1

7 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I certainly believe it’s important for the franchise to make money so it stays in business. Jerry is a businessman first and foremost. Spending big bucks on a free agent doesn’t guarantee a winning season. 

What are the odds they hit the Powerball again like 2004-2005 series of 8-10 perfect transactions all breaking their way...starting with the dumping of Loiaza, Maggs, C Lee and Valentin?

Cotts, El Duque, Contreras, Jenks, Everett, Pods, Politte, AJ, Dye, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Iguchi, F.Garcia for a boatload of "can't miss" prospects...???

We can't even get one fucking deal right on the button at the moment...except by totally sheer accident, like Rodon, McCann, Andrus and Cueto.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

You need to send that over to Brooks Boyer and the season ticket sales agents/associates to work into their script.  Twins and Guardians fans would empathize with their traditionally "cheap" ownership groups too, the Pohlads and Dolans.

Total "job creator/disruptor" is JR, seriously.