Holmes wonders about JR's "desire"...

Lip Man 1

19 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pretty much. He hasn't had the desire forever. Probably the last time he was really engaged was like '08 or so imo. Since he replaced KW with Hahn the org as a whole has just been stuck in neutral.

I really feel like KW is the most incompetent here and he's screwed into his seat. Can't wait for the day to see his ass gone

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I really feel like KW is the most incompetent here and he's screwed into his seat. Can't wait for the day to see his ass gone

No way in HELL times infinity.

Why your MLB team didn't do what you wanted this winter?

But if your team wasn't quite so active, your reaction to the sudden onset of spring training might be something like, "Wait, what? That's it?"

Obviously some teams were more active than others. Some spent a lot, some spent virtually nothing. But no team checked off every single item on the offseason wish lists their fans conceived in November.

In a tradition we started a year ago, we're going to look at one possible outstanding item on each team's to-do list. But we're not going to grumble about these items. Instead we're going to channel the likely mindset behind the unfinished business and explain why the heck your team...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35659150/mlb-team-offseason-disappointments-2023-explained

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I certainly believe it’s important for the franchise to make money so it stays in business. Jerry is a businessman first and foremost. Spending big bucks on a free agent doesn’t guarantee a winning season. 

Of course, the franchise has to make money, and it has to do what it can to say in business. But one way to stay in business is to provide a team that wins, and not have long stretches of not going to the playoffs. It makes no sense to tell the fan, who is a consumer, to keep paying for a bad product.

Secondly, player salaries are going up no matter what JR does. If he can't compete in this market, he should sell.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoshPR said:

To me it comes down to very basic human psychology. You have an owner that has made it very clear in his actions winning is simply not anywhere close to the No. 1 priority. As owner, he's set an example that being mediocre is acceptable. Turn a profit and we're good. 

It's borderline unfair to expect Williams, Hahn or anyone else to rise above the expectations set by their boss. When you've been employed at a job for 15+ years, the pay is good, and you're very clear on what the expectations are to keep your job...why do any more than is expected? What percentage of the population truly would do that? It's why they've never made the playoffs in back to back years up until the COVID shortened season. You'll get lucky here and there, all the stars will align and you'll put together a solid 162, but as we've seen, it doesn't last.

They're lazy. That's really what it is. There is no drive or passion with any of them. Davis Martin looks to be the 5th starter right now to open the year. There were plenty of options available to sure up that spot, but why do it? Why spend another 10-15 million when Davis Martin will be "semi-ok?" As long as the Sox are just "decent" that's good enough for the franchise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told last year was very difficult on Reinsdorf with all the LaRussa stuff, the teams poor play and "losing" a bunch of money and with another season like that he would seriously consider selling the team.  This year is off to a bang up start.  

🙏

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I certainly believe it’s important for the franchise to make money so it stays in business. Jerry is a businessman first and foremost. Spending big bucks on a free agent doesn’t guarantee a winning season. 

No MLB franchise is at risk of contraction because of lack of revenue.  This is disingenuous.  All businesses need to make money to remain solvent, but sports franchises are rather unique when compared to other multi-billion dollar enterprises.  Jerry has had a lifetime to make money in other business ventures, he need not rely solely on his two sports ownership groups to generate further wealth.  He could have cashed out with massive ROI's at any point in the last 25 years, but here we are still venting about his penny-pinching ways prohibiting his teams from competing for top talent in the third largest market in the country.  

Please miss me with this noise next time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What are the odds they hit the Powerball again like 2004-2005 series of 8-10 perfect transactions all breaking their way...starting with the dumping of Loiaza, Maggs, C Lee and Valentin?

Cotts, El Duque, Contreras, Jenks, Everett, Pods, Politte, AJ, Dye, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Iguchi, F.Garcia for a boatload of "can't miss" prospects...???

We can't even get one fucking deal right on the button at the moment...except by totally sheer accident, like Rodon, McCann, Andrus and Cueto.

Hahn basically said yesterday the the Clevinger signing was analogous to signing Jenks or  others to make 2005 happen by signing a " calculated risk" guy with maturity issues. He didn't mention names but it's easy to figure out he meant Jenks and who knows who else. Maybe AJP to a lesser degree.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told last year was very difficult on Reinsdorf with all the LaRussa stuff, the teams poor play and "losing" a bunch of money and with another season like that he would seriously consider selling the team.  This year is off to a bang up start.  

He is not selling.  It would be akin to winning the lottery and taking the single payout losing 75% of the value once he passes it to his kids .  

Only reason he would sell is if his other business ventures lost money and could offset the tax hit or they needed the cash.  He doesn't have business ventures that are losing hundreds of millions of dollars and the budgeting of the Bulls and Sox add whatever excess cash flow is needed .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoshPR said:

He should strictly be an area scout at this point, far away from any sort of decision making. But I suspect he is still the original "JR whisperer" and influences decisions about team building and budget.

29 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He is not selling.  It would be akin to winning the lottery and taking the single payout losing 75% of the value once he passes it to his kids .  

Only reason he would sell is if his other business ventures lost money and could offset the tax hit or they needed the cash.  He doesn't have business ventures that are losing hundreds of millions of dollars and the budgeting of the Bulls and Sox add whatever excess cash flow is needed .

The story I did last August after seeing what tax experts were saying was that if he sells while he is still alive the tax hit could be around 200 million dollars more than if he has his family sell the team after he passes.

JR started as a tax expert working for the IRS, he knows the tax laws and 200 million is a gigantic sum of money.

He's not selling.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I've spoken to a number of people over the years who know JR and the one constant I get is that he wants to win.

But...

He wants to win HIS WAY...under his rules, his restrictions financially, and putting loyalty above all else.

Like many in the organization he feels he is smarter than everyone else...history shows that is not the case.

Jerry the Hut is only about eating cookies and keeping his cronies around him. 💯 about 💵 not winning. 

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The story I did last August after seeing what tax experts were saying was that if he sells while he is still alive the tax hit could be around 200 million dollars more than if he has his family sell the team after he passes.

JR started as a tax expert working for the IRS, he knows the tax laws and 200 million is a gigantic sum of money.

He's not selling.

Hmm, that doesn't make sense at a glance. I'd have to read your article.

Forbes estimates Reinsdorf owns 19% of the White Sox, and also estimates the White Sox are worth 1.4 billion. That puts Jerry's estimated share value at $266 mil. 

That said, I'm sure the Sox would sell for a lot more than 1.4 bil. I'd guess 2.5 - 3 billion at least.

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Forbes estimates Reinsdorf owns 19% of the White Sox, and also estimates the White Sox are worth 1.4 billion. That puts Jerry's estimated share value at $266 mil. 

That said, I'm sure the Sox would sell for a lot more than 1.4 bil. I'd guess 2.5 - 3 billion at least.

Doesn't Melanie Hobson (wife of George Lucas of Star Wars fame) have some input as well, owning around 40% of the club at this point in time...?

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

This is a real good point.  The tax hit can't be nearly what it's been made out to be unless Jerry had double or tripled his ownership stake.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, FloydBannister1983 said:

Cleveland has been better than the Sox, far better, for the last thirty years.  They’ve had three World Series appearances.  Lost in the ALCS twice. Lost in the ALDS six times.  It’s fairly close to perennial.

The Sox have 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021.  Three of those were embarrassing exits.

Embarrassing??? Puh-leeze. They lost to better teams. If you were embarrassed, that’s on you. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Doesn't Melanie Hobson (wife of George Lucas of Star Wars fame) have some input as well, owning around 40% of the club at this point in time...?

Jerry answers to the board, but has operational control. This is per his contract dating back to 1981, when he owned 5 percent of the team. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a real good point.  The tax hit can't be nearly what it's been made out to be unless Jerry had double or tripled his ownership stake.

The trump tax laws have greatly decreased cap gains as well as inheritance taxes. Jerry wins no matter what, but the win will be bigger after he passes, as his family would only face taxes on the portion he actually owns. 

2 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

The trump tax laws have greatly decreased cap gains as well as inheritance taxes. Jerry wins no matter what, but the win will be bigger after he passes, as his family would only face taxes on the portion he actually owns. 

Wouldn’t that essentially reset cap cost-basis and then only tax appreciation of the value of shares/investment from the day of JR’s passing?

Or it can’t possibly be that simple…?

Edited by caulfield12

On 2/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I've spoken to a number of people over the years who know JR and the one constant I get is that he wants to win.

But...

He wants to win HIS WAY...under his rules, his restrictions financially, and putting loyalty above all else.

Like many in the organization he feels he is smarter than everyone else...history shows that is not the case.

I used to have a t-shirt that said "He who dies with the most toys wins."

I think that's the type of winning JR wants to do. Maybe replace 'toys' with 'money'. Surely he can't be talking about wanting to win championships...

Edited by Iwritecode

22 hours ago, Tony said:

Davis Martin looks to be the 5th starter right now to open the year. There were plenty of options available to sure up that spot, but why do it? Why spend another 10-15 million when Davis Martin will be "semi-ok?" 

I've legit never heard of this dude until just now.

I guess that just shows how little I paid attention to this team last year.

Edited by Iwritecode