East Palestine, OH Derailment

joejoesox

This is a massive ongoing story

TL;DR

Train derailed in eastern OH carrying highly highly toxic/carcinogenic chemicals that are confirmed to be spewing into the Ohio River

https://www.ehn.org/amp/train-derailment-ohio-2659412710

In addition to vinyl chloride, the chemical released in large quantities and burned off that has been extensively covered by news reports, the letter states that four additional hazardous chemicals “either are known to have been and continue to be released to the air, surface soils and surface waters.”

They include the following chemicals:

• Ethylhexyl acrylate, an eye, skin, and respiratory irritant that's toxic to aquatic life.
  • Ethylene glycol monobutyl, a carcinogen that can be absorbed through the skin and cause liver and kidney damage.
  • Butyl acrylate, an extremely flammable chemical that can burn skin and eyes and cause permanent lung damage.
  • Isobutylene, a highly flammable compound that can irritate eyes, nose, and throat, and cause coma or death at high levels of exposure

The letter notes that water sampling shows these chemicals in the Ohio River, which provides drinking water for more than five million people. It also states that the chemicals have been observed running into storm drains, and cites potential for soil contamination.

Eastern Illinois is also possibly affected, so please use common sense and your best judgment when drinking tap/well water. 

Fo4WJ0mX0AAp0c5?format=jpg&name=900x900

I’m still trying to understand what people believe should be done at the federal level as opposed to the state level. I know different agencies were deployed before FEMA. This is a major story but between finger pointing at Biden, DeWine and the railroad owners I don’t know who people are truly pissed at.

I always found the ritual of showing up after a disaster to be an odd thing. 

Yep, this is a disaster, and I feel bad for you guys. [Gets back on Air Force One}

Maybe yeet some paper towels at people.

Unless you are going to grab a shovel, a hammer, a dumpster or something else and go to work, do what you need to politically in making sure that it can't happen again.

For this particular disaster, the roots of it happened years before.

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I always found the ritual of showing up after a disaster to be an odd thing. 

Yep, this is a disaster, and I feel bad for you guys. [Gets back on Air Force One}

Maybe yeet some paper towels at people.

Unless you are going to grab a shovel, a hammer, a dumpster or something else and go to work, do what you need to politically in making sure that it can't happen again.

For this particular disaster, the roots of it happened years before.

While it is a political show there are times I think it helps.  This is not one of them.   George W at Ground Zero or during a war to show support from the highest level.