Is Romy the second baseman?

Chick Mercedes

Romy has shown nothing to think he wouldn't be completely overwhelmed in an every day role. He was a disaster between AAA & MLB last year. Even his breakout season 2 years ago came with a 28% k rate in AA.

As a depth piece Romy is fine, the tools are intriguing etc, but odds are we're looking at another season where 2b is a complete black hole.

26 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Ideally both Romy and Sosa have great springs and they make it tough on everyone. Romy can play a bunch of positions, Sosa can play 2b/3b/ss. Having them both may be better than carrying Marisnick or Reyes or whoever.

Neither of those guys can play CF so one of the guys you mentioned or Hamilton still must make the roster.

39 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Romy has shown nothing to think he wouldn't be completely overwhelmed in an every day role. He was a disaster between AAA & MLB last year. Even his breakout season 2 years ago came with a 28% k rate in AA.

As a depth piece Romy is fine, the tools are intriguing etc, but odds are we're looking at another season where 2b is a complete black hole.

He’s going to be sub-replacement or like a 2.5 win player next year.  Definition of a boom or bust like guy and I wouldn’t bet on the latter given how much he is likely to strike out.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Romy wouldn’t be my first choice, but given that they refuse to address the hole, he seems like their go to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Profar, but he almost exclusively played LF last year.

Jose "Popeye" Rodriguez or Bryan Ramos...although more a 3B/1B type and at least another year away at any rate.

SECOND BASEMEN

Rougned Odor (29, 1.8)
Jonathan Villar (32, 1.2)

FWIW Keith Law believes that Ramos could be an average to above defender at second base (said he's a 50/55 at third). 

12 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

How could you not be intimidated when you know the manager is looking for any excuse to park you on the bench in favor for his beloved pet Leury.

Now imagine the guy playing in a post season game at Yankee stadium. He'd s%*# his pants. We keep drafting guys that can't handle any stress. 

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s going to be sub-replacement or like a 2.5 win player next year.  Definition of a boom or bust like guy and I wouldn’t bet on the latter given how much he is likely to strike out.

This is the exact guy I'd rather try than signing guys like we always have done like anb Andrus or Harrison

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Now imagine the guy playing in a post season game at Yankee stadium. He'd s%*# his pants. We keep drafting guys that can't handle any stress. 

My initial comment was more in jest to Sosa's puzzling handling in the first place. However, I imagine a manager showing confidence in a player would help said player's confidence. I think it's quite the conclusion to reach after 36 major league PAs to say that he "can't handle any stress".  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:40 PM, scotty22hotty said:

gross. you'd figure the chisox corp would draw the line at being investigated for child abuse...

this investigation has been going on for over 6 months now. dude is toxic to both the players and fanbase

Romy and Colas can both play CF 

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Neither of those guys can play CF so one of the guys you mentioned or Hamilton still must make the roster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Neither is a regular but they’re both fine out there. I’d rather use either guy out there than Leury Garcia. It’s probably Jake Marisnick though 

Romy has played 3 games in CF since he was a 19 year old at Miami in 2016. This is such White Sox thinking.

• Like 1