Last Comiskey Documentary...

Lip Man 1

I loved that Sox team and hated the A’s. They were such d-bags.

The opening scene where the stadium was shown pre-white paint makes me wonder who thought painting it was a good idea. 

The nostalgic me wishes they never tore it down, but I also remember “seeing” quite a few games there with an obstructed view thanks to my Perfect Attendance tickets. I don’t know that there’s anything they could have done to remedy that.

CF bleachers we’re the place to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

The opening scene where the stadium was shown pre-white paint makes me wonder who thought painting it was a good idea. 

The nostalgic me wishes they never tore it down, but I also remember “seeing” quite a few games there with an obstructed view thanks to my Perfect Attendance tickets. I don’t know that there’s anything they could have done to remedy that.

Haha, that's a fabulous memory.  I had forgotten about the perfect attendance tix....props to my dearly departed Mom for always sending me to school no matter what.  Those obstructed views always seemed to block the best plays 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

As a kid in Chicago Public Schools in the 1970's those Straight A / Perfect Attendance forms were my entree into Comiskey Park. As long as you didnt piss off the  teacher too much you got a form. You got to pick two games for free just send in the form and a SASE to the Ticket Office. My sister had no interest in baseball so I  was good for four games each summer. I would always pick a Thursday night Twinight Double header which would start at 5:30. I would take the Archer bus with two ham sandwiches in a brown paper bag and meet my dad at the ballpark. Simpler times, great memories, esp 1977.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:49 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

that was Hall of Famer Bill Veeck's idea!

1 hour ago, pcq said:

The old dump had more outfield than infield seats. The outfield seats were hardly needed. 

White Sox historian Richard Lindberg once wrote that building the upper decks in 1927 changed the character of the park and should have never been built.

Just watched it. Enjoyed part one. I like Rich King remember my first game and seeing all the colors, sights sounds and smells. Whoever took me to my first game, I guess it'd be my dad, I was amazed and hooked.

My gramps was a Cub fan, only one in the fam, and he would take me to those day games at Wrigley and I gotta admit same deal. Field so close to the stands. Sights and sounds wow. I must confess I always liked Comiskey better. I think it was the exploding scoreboard and the food to go with the na nas. And of course going to Kansas U. and being in a frat I fought those Royals fans and stood up for my Sox and it made me a crazed Sox fan, one who never ever embraced the Royals. Going to a game at old Comiskey was truly like the movie, it was 'heaven.'

Can't wait for parts II and III.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:37 PM, pcq said:

The old dump had more outfield than infield seats. The outfield seats were hardly needed. 

First 15 Outfield upper deck rows were amazing.  Really any seat in front of the poles were good.  Wrigley's lower deck, I only bring this up as it is comparable, is too sprawling.  IF you sit toward the back in the lower deck, it really sucks.  Maybe Comiskey was the same and I was much younger and less angry but sitting in the back rows in the lower deck weren't too bad even down the lines.  

• Like 1